PDA

View Full Version : Tim-o-phobia

darkwater
03-31-2010, 10:46 AM
I teach elementary music, including class ukulele. I've posted some photos on my classroom door of well known uke players. This is an actual email I received today documenting possibly the most extreme reaction to Tiny Tim I've ever encountered:

"My son, ............., is horrified by the Tiny Tim picture on the door of the music room. He could not go to sleep last night, saying he can't get the scary picture off his mind. I had to bring him to our bed just so he can get some sleep. He has a
problem with it even when passing the hallway, not to talk about entering
the music room for classes. He's really panicking about coming to music
class.
Would you please, consider removing that picture from the wall so this
child can be comfortable in school again? I am really sorry for the
inconvenience, but I dont know any other way this problem can be solved.
Thanks a million times for your cooperation in this matter."

MTGuru
03-31-2010, 11:29 AM
"My son, ............., is horrified by the Tiny Tim picture on the door of the music room.
I guess it's not this one, then?

http://static.squidoo.com/resize/squidoo_images/250/draft_lens2055899module21235272photo_1237247024113 0TinyTim2.jpg

darkwater
03-31-2010, 11:47 AM
Nope, this one.

I guess it's not this one, then?

http://static.squidoo.com/resize/squidoo_images/250/draft_lens2055899module21235272photo_1237247024113 0TinyTim2.jpg

StereoJoker
03-31-2010, 11:54 AM
I can totally see how he'd be afraid of a Tiny Tim image -- some of his later photos make him look kind of menacing and even creep me out. (I bet some kids would even be a little freaked out by 65-year-old Dylan versus 1965 Dylan.)

MTGuru
03-31-2010, 01:04 PM
Nope, this one.
Oh heck, you're kidding. Half my friends look like that. OK, some of them are scary too ... but in a good way. :)

Seriously, I always thought that was a nice photo of TT. It just exudes the fun and quirkiness of both the man and the instrument, and the reso is way cool.

Something tells me the young man may not have a bright future around musicians ...

darkwater
03-31-2010, 01:38 PM
Yeah, I kind of realized my younger kids couldn't appreciate the eccentric genius inherent in the Tiny Tim persona, so I looked for the least threatening image I could find. Most 7 year olds don't understand theatrical gestures. You can tell a lot about a kid by their reaction to a) humour, and b) tolerance for deviation from the "norm".

GVlog
03-31-2010, 01:59 PM
Not sure who the fellow is. Will probably need to Wiki when I find the time.

Just be a thoughtful teacher. Take it down and put up a photo of Riatea Helm. Most of the kids are probably more interested in contemporary artists anyway since they're the ones driving the new wave. I'm sure the boy will sleep much better.

In the future, you'll probably get another letter about some other problem, but you'll be able to dismiss it as an early onset of puberty.

MTGuru
03-31-2010, 02:27 PM
Not sure who the fellow is ...

Just be a thoughtful teacher. Take it down and put up a photo of Riatea Helm. Most of the kids are probably more interested in contemporary artists anyway
And now you're kidding, right?

The kids are probably more interested in zombies than in math, too. I don't think the principles of good curriculum design work that way. Especially if it leads to not knowing stuff ... like a significant figure in the history of the instrument you're learning to play. ;)

GVlog
03-31-2010, 03:29 PM
And now you're kidding, right?

Actually, no.

But I'm just familiarizing myself with the instrument so maybe I don't yet know who falls under the category of significant historical artists.

I have heard of Peter Moon, Benny Chong, Daniel Ho, Ledward Kaapana, Eddie Kamae, Israel Kamakawiwo'ole, Moe Keale, Herb Ohta and Bill Tapia though. I have also heard of George Formby who did original compositions for the instrument, but he seems more popular in the UK.

I think I'll just excuse myself from the discussion.

darkwater
03-31-2010, 03:37 PM
OK, I now officially feel old. Tiny was a misunderstood '60s original character whose eccentricities obscured his accomplishments. He had his odd theatrical persona, but he was also a living archive of a lot of the music of the uke's first wave of popularity. Tiny was simultaneously behind the times and prophetic as far as respecting the individual vision.
I'm nearing retirement from teaching, but I'm probably more aware of the creative edge than the kids I teach who only know what the commercial machine feeds them. Do your homework in whatever aesthetic calls to you.

haole
03-31-2010, 03:37 PM
I aspire to be even more terrifying than Tiny Tim one day.

darkwater
03-31-2010, 03:46 PM
As it should be. Everybody who pushes creative boundaries should terrify someone.

mangorockfish
03-31-2010, 05:39 PM
I'd tell that whinney mother that it was staying up and to get over it and tell your over-protected kid to get over it too. That's what's wrong with this country now, everyone is offended by something that doesn't matter one way or the other. Do something productive with your life instead of worrying about a picture of Tiny Tim. C'mon now, really!!!

haolejohn
03-31-2010, 05:53 PM
I'd tell that whinney mother that it was staying up and to get over it and tell your over-protected kid to get over it too. That's what's wrong with this country now, everyone is offended by something that doesn't matter one way or the other. Do something productive with your life instead of worrying about a picture of Tiny Tim. C'mon now, really!!!

Agreed. I'd have the kid draw a mask for the TT photo. All I know is that the kid would hate to be in my class if he is scared of that pic.

Doug, you got a picture of me up?

GreatGazukes
03-31-2010, 06:05 PM
:agree:
I'll admit I wonder at the causes of the child's "nervousness", Good grief, I can't imagine my mother ever pandering to such nonsense, a fact I well knew and I would not have "tried it on". (Though I have no doubt that at a formulative age I did "try it on", probably once)
....no offence to anybody I hope....me just shaking my head at "what the world is coming to" lol

Mind you it has always seemed to me that Mr Tim could have used a better shampoo on those greasy locks.

MTGuru
03-31-2010, 06:36 PM
@darkwater: Just out of curiosity, who are the other ukulele players included in your photo display? I hope this guy isn't one of them:

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/image.php?u=14219&dateline=1269905486

bbycrts
03-31-2010, 08:37 PM
Happy April Fool's Day to you, too!

I teach elementary music, including class ukulele. I've posted some photos on my classroom door of well known uke players. This is an actual email I received today documenting possibly the most extreme reaction to Tiny Tim I've ever encountered:

"My son, ............., is horrified by the Tiny Tim picture on the door of the music room. He could not go to sleep last night, saying he can't get the scary picture off his mind. I had to bring him to our bed just so he can get some sleep. He has a
problem with it even when passing the hallway, not to talk about entering
the music room for classes. He's really panicking about coming to music
class.
Would you please, consider removing that picture from the wall so this
child can be comfortable in school again? I am really sorry for the
inconvenience, but I dont know any other way this problem can be solved.
Thanks a million times for your cooperation in this matter."

Steiner
03-31-2010, 09:11 PM
True story, I remember when I was a kid, about 7, being scared by the Priest in "The Princess Bride". I have no idea why, but I remember the way he talked freaked me out: "Mawwiage, mawwiage is what bwings us here today." I seriously would leave the room. Don't worry though, I'm ok with it now.

I'd take the picture down if it was me. What lesson am I trying to teach by leaving a picture up that's giving a kid nightmares? Regardless of whether or not you think it should give him nightmares.

DrShoggoth
03-31-2010, 09:37 PM

That seems a bit harsh. If Tiny Tim is haunting some poor kid's nightmares, if this child is indeed having horrific nocturnal visions of Tiny Tim menacing him then it's not a big deal to take down a little poster for a while.

But it's pretty funny that some poor kid sees Tiny Tim staring deep into his soul and doesn't like it. Tiny Tim, what hath thou wrought!?!?!

haolejohn
04-01-2010, 01:59 AM
That seems a bit harsh. If Tiny Tim is haunting some poor kid's nightmares, if this child is indeed having horrific nocturnal visions of Tiny Tim menacing him then it's not a big deal to take down a little poster for a while.

But it's pretty funny that some poor kid sees Tiny Tim staring deep into his soul and doesn't like it. Tiny Tim, what hath thou wrought!?!?!

This is a way to look at it but what about the 30 kids that really enjoy it? Must all be sacrificed to please one?

harpdog
04-01-2010, 03:54 AM
Take it down and put up a photo of Riatea Helm.

I would definately rather look at her picture. ^

I understand Tiny Tim looking scary to a kid. I think there is a strong resemblance to the Wicked Witch from the Wizard of Oz movie.
I thought so even when I was a child.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v220/ElGuitana/wicked-witch-wizard-of-oz.jpghttp://www.webpan.com/thelaughin/images/show/tiny_tom/tiny_tim_laugh-in.jpg

I'll give you Tiptoe Through the Tulips, my little pretty!

haolejohn
04-01-2010, 05:05 AM
I would definately rather look at her picture. ^

I understand Tiny Tim looking scary to a kid. I think there is a strong resemblance to the Wicked Witch from the Wizard of Oz movie.
I thought so even when I was a child.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v220/ElGuitana/wicked-witch-wizard-of-oz.jpghttp://www.webpan.com/thelaughin/images/show/tiny_tom/tiny_tim_laugh-in.jpg

I'll give you Tiptoe Through the Tulips, my little pretty!

LOL!! There is. I love the little pretty post:)

salukulady
04-01-2010, 05:10 AM
I taught kids song and dance for 17 years. You're forever walking a fine line regarding what's acceptable for everyone. If this parent had her wits about her, she would have sit down with her kid on the computer and watched a few old video's of Tiny Tim to show her child how truly non-threatening the man was and never brought the subject up to you.

I had an incident with a student was when I dyed my hair from blond to red. The next class a four year old walked in, took one look at me and said, "Where's miss Sally, you're not Miss Sally." I tried to reassure her I was Miss Sally. She replied, "I know you're not Miss Sally, Miss Sally has pretty yellow hair. You're hairs ugly." I did not dye my hair back....the kid got over it.

haolejohn
04-01-2010, 05:27 AM
I taught kids song and dance for 17 years. You're forever walking a fine line regarding what's acceptable for everyone. If this parent had her wits about her, she would have sit down with her kid on the computer and watched a few old video's of Tiny Tim to show her child how truly non-threatening the man was and never brought the subject up to you.

I had an incident with a student was when I dyed my hair from blond to red. The next class a four year old walked in, took one look at me and said, "Where's miss Sally, you're not Miss Sally." I tried to reassure her I was Miss Sally. She replied, "I know you're not Miss Sally, Miss Sally has pretty yellow hair. You're hairs ugly." I did not dye my hair back....the kid got over it.
LOL! I used a similiar tactic when I taught pre-k (4 and 5 yr olds). I shaved my head and told them that Mr. Eller is gone. They have the new Mr. Eller. They were scared and I was finally able to be strict with them and caring at same time. I was too nice at first.

Skitzic
04-01-2010, 05:49 AM

x2 on this. I would (mind you, I'm not a teacher) respond to the mother saying it's not fair to the other children to ignore an important figure because one child has a problem with his image.

Then I would move the picture somewhere else. I wouldn't take it down, just move it. Maybe where it's a little less visible if you're just walking by.

salukulady
04-01-2010, 05:56 AM
Since you're the music teacher, perhaps you could do a lesson on him and other ukulele enthusiasts making T.T. more friendly.

Mim
04-01-2010, 06:31 AM
I do not know if this is April Fools or not... but if it is not...

The fact that this mother did not say, "It is Tiny Tim! He is just a Ukulele player! Get over it and GO TO BED!" is crazy!!! So, what if her child sees a "freaky looking" person in public... is she going to go up and politely pass them a note that says, "Thanks for your cooperation, but can you PLEASE hide your face? You are freaking my child out!"

If this truly is going on, there is an over-sensitive child out there... and there is no doubt in my mind why!!! The mother is doing her child an injustice. One of my kids is deathly afraid of the monkey mascot of Monkey Joes (she is only 3). But I take her to the corner and explain to her it is OK while he walks by. I do not leave or worse yet, ask him to not come out while my child is present. Eventually she will realize Monkey Joe is not going to hurt her and get over it and be a stronger child as a result. But I do not stop taking my other 6 kids to Monkey Joes just because one child is scared! So, to take down the picture just because one child is "freaked out" is not necissary in my opinion.

But again, this story is so "out there" I am hoping it is an April Fools. But I would not be suprised! Some parents coddle their children to the point that they make them co-dependent little whiney things. Drives me crazy!

harpdog
04-01-2010, 06:40 AM
Honestly, when I was small and saw the Wizard of Oz, the only things that scared me more than the flying monkeys were the munchkins.

Zakulele
04-01-2010, 08:07 AM
This might be one of the most entertaining forums I have ever read.

darkwater
04-01-2010, 08:28 AM
I started this thread, and unfortunately, it's not and April Fool joke. Who could make this stuff up? For the record, I took down Mr. Tim and the others (it's about time to put up some other players anyway) and sent the offending photo home in a sealed envelope addressed to the parent so they could see for themselves that I wasn't intentionally putting up monster pictures. There's no rational explanation for what twigs different people out. My daughter had a similar reaction to Chuck E. Cheese.
Anyway, Tiny, Ukulele Ike, Jake Shimabukuro and George Harrison are coming off the door. Nominations for the next round?

DrShoggoth
04-01-2010, 08:42 AM
This is a way to look at it but what about the 30 kids that really enjoy it? Must all be sacrificed to please one?

Sadly, I don't think we live in a time where the kids are really going to dig Tim. They'd have to probably wait til they're a little older and have grown away a bti more from their Radio Disney and Jonas Brothers and such. I'm all in favor of exposing kids to culture, but I don't think today's kids would probably find Tiny Tim much more than...kind of scary.

Now fi that kid ever heard I'm Just a Lonely Little Raindrop his nightmares would probably be MUCH more vivid and hilarious.

"I'm just a lonely little raindrop looking for a place to...KILL!"

"MOMMY! MOMMY!"

"It was all a bad dream sweetie."

harpdog
04-01-2010, 09:00 AM
Nominations for the next round?

http://www.bruner.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/scary-uke.jpg

Skrik
04-01-2010, 09:15 AM
What is more important, this kid playing the ukulele, or the Tiny Tim icon? I'd take it down.

DrShoggoth
04-01-2010, 09:55 AM
What is more important, this kid playing the ukulele, or the Tiny Tim icon? I'd take it down.

I'd love to see Tiny Tim does as like an Eastern Catholic/Orthodox icon. That would be the best.

haolejohn
04-01-2010, 10:53 AM
Sadly, I don't think we live in a time where the kids are really going to dig Tim. They'd have to probably wait til they're a little older and have grown away a bti more from their Radio Disney and Jonas Brothers and such. I'm all in favor of exposing kids to culture, but I don't think today's kids would probably find Tiny Tim much more than...kind of scary.

Now fi that kid ever heard I'm Just a Lonely Little Raindrop his nightmares would probably be MUCH more vivid and hilarious.

"I'm just a lonely little raindrop looking for a place to...KILL!"

"MOMMY! MOMMY!"

"It was all a bad dream sweetie."
I agree with what you are saying but I wouldn't take it down. I had a parent ask me to take down a Marine poster last year. I tactfully told them that it was staying up. The boys loved that poster.

haolejohn
04-01-2010, 10:54 AM
I started this thread, and unfortunately, it's not and April Fool joke. Who could make this stuff up? For the record, I took down Mr. Tim and the others (it's about time to put up some other players anyway) and sent the offending photo home in a sealed envelope addressed to the parent so they could see for themselves that I wasn't intentionally putting up monster pictures. There's no rational explanation for what twigs different people out. My daughter had a similar reaction to Chuck E. Cheese.
Anyway, Tiny, Ukulele Ike, Jake Shimabukuro and George Harrison are coming off the door. Nominations for the next round?

Mr. Eller, Aldrine, Seeso, You, and DeG

salukulady
04-01-2010, 11:26 AM
Mr. Eller, Aldrine, Seeso, You, and DeGadd a chick to the list.

Gaby
04-01-2010, 04:35 PM
Spongebob Squarepants

gioconbrio
04-01-2010, 05:45 PM
You should show this video to your class. Look at all those children not being terrified by Tiny Tim...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DEoOdcYKbc

Mim
04-01-2010, 06:26 PM
Gio... that is the creepiest thing EVER!!! The kids joining in make it even worse!

I still think it is an amazing situation. I still think the parent needs to tell their kid to get over it. See... I am a nice mom ;)! Seriously, if my kid told me they were scared of a picture of tiny tim I would probably say, "Wow! Really?! Well, you are going to have to get over that one real quick!" I swear my kids are well-adjusted happy kids... I am not mean... I just can't stand sensless whining over silly things.

But if you were teaching that Ice Caps song THEN there might be a problem! The problem is that is pretty catchy! Time for bed... I am going to have nightmares...

THE ICE CAPS ARE MELTING, Oh-Oh-Oh-Oh-Oh! I will be hiding underneath the sane while the wave comes to wash my sin away!!!

mds725
04-01-2010, 06:36 PM
My nominations:

Roy Smeck, the Harpo Marx of the ukulele
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_QlgAIuLLkeo/SdIass5-KZI/AAAAAAAACDM/ety91RwvAC4/s200/Smeck-
but be sure to show your students this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcQYt7xvA8M&feature=related

The Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britain:
http://userserve-ak.last.fm/serve/500/26236133/The+Ukulele+Orchestra+of+Great+Britain+ukes.jpg

Sophie Madeleine
http://israbox.com/uploads/posts/2009-03/1237813587_folderkwf.jpg

Uncle-Taco
04-01-2010, 06:38 PM
I remember seeing that. Alice Cooper was a whole lot less scary than that!

gioconbrio
04-01-2010, 09:07 PM
On a more on-topic note, I teach uke to elementary kids and usually show them a video of a different performer every week. The list is pretty varied, but these are the ones the kids tend to like the most from what I've shown them. In no particular order: Iz, Puremarkska, Uke Til U Puke, Roy Smeck, UOGB, Chappy, and yes, Tiny Tim.

Ukuleleblues
04-03-2010, 12:04 PM
You should show this video to your class. Look at all those children not being terrified by Tiny Tim...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DEoOdcYKbc

I typing this on my note book while hiding in the closet with my cat, That was way scary. All kidding aside, I think Tiny Tim killed the uke for almost 40 years. I still meet folks from that generation that think it is dork instrument and won't give it a good listen all because of Herbert Khaury. I know he was a good musician and great uke, player wonder baritone singer yada yad yada.... God rest his soul, cause he loved the uke and was responsible for killing it for 4 decades. Must have been hard to for him to reconcile that.

salukulady
04-03-2010, 06:06 PM
I typing this on my note book while hiding in the closet with my cat, That was way scary. All kidding aside, I think Tiny Tim killed the uke for almost 40 years. I still meet folks from that generation that think it is dork instrument and won't give it a good listen all because of Herbert Khaury. I know he was a good musician and great uke, player wonder baritone singer yada yad yada.... God rest his soul, cause he loved the uke and was responsible for killing it for 4 decades. Must have been hard to for him to reconcile that.A few folks from THAT generation include George Harrison, Paul Mc Cartney, John Lennon, and me.....all ukulele players. Tiny Tim was a performance artist, he didn't kill the ukulele anymore than George Formby did in the 30's. I have a feeling you were not there and are relying on youtube videos to make your opinion.

Harold O.
04-03-2010, 06:35 PM
To address the classroom problem, I suggest having an "artist of the week" wherein you post a picture, show a video or two, and use that particular artist's talent (or wierdity) to make a particular point.

Ukuleleblues
04-04-2010, 02:46 AM
A few folks from THAT generation include George Harrison, Paul Mc Cartney, John Lennon, and me.....all ukulele players. Tiny Tim was a performance artist, he didn't kill the ukulele anymore than George Formby did in the 30's. I have a feeling you were not there and are relying on youtube videos to make your opinion.

I saw him live on TV when I was in Junior High. Lived through the his popularity, saw his wedding on TV, etc. It's just my opinion that he made playing the UKE definitely Uncool.

salukulady
04-04-2010, 11:35 AM
I saw him live on TV when I was in Junior High. Lived through the his popularity, saw his wedding on TV, etc. It's just my opinion that he made playing the UKE definitely Uncool.Okay. Everyone is allowed their opinion when properly informed. I reacted because you stated, "he was responsible for killing the ukulele for 4 decades" not that "he made playing it definitely Uncool".

Lori
04-05-2010, 06:36 AM
It might be he's seeing a resemblance to actress Margaret Hamilton, the Wicked Witch in 1939 version of "Wizard of Oz". She was very scary to me as a kid.
–Lori

Pork Pie
04-05-2010, 11:39 PM
Sad.....I met Tim twice in the late 80's and he was one of my favorite performers I have met and talked with and that list is very long and respected. He was so genuine and his musical knowledge was incredible. I wouldn't want to traumatize anyone but if I was the parent and my child was in this child's position I would have taken it upon myself to educate him/her. God Bless Tiny Tim!

Pukulele Pete
04-06-2010, 12:25 AM
Maybe this picture would be better

harpdog
04-06-2010, 12:49 AM
God Bless Tiny Tim!

God bless us, every one.

oops, wrong tiny tim

SamUke
04-06-2010, 03:05 AM
I have Tim O Phobia, if you play the uke do you have to like him? Tiny Tim is actually why I thought the uke was a joke for so long; oh well everyone has their likes and dislikes.

DeG
04-06-2010, 03:53 AM
Mr. Eller, Aldrine, Seeso, You, and DeG

Now I'm going to have nightmares!! Mommy!! :)

StereoJoker
04-11-2010, 07:28 PM
Today would have been Tiny Tim's 68th birthday.

Let us all play "Tiptoe Through the Tulips" in his honor.

Chris Tarman
04-11-2010, 08:03 PM
Maybe the kid was scared of him because he could sense that Tiny Tim was half Lebanese. And you know how scary THOSE people are... Just kidding. My wife is also half Lebanese, and we once spent a month in Beirut visiting her grandparents and aunts, uncles and cousins. It was amazing.
Happy Birthday Mr. Khaury.

Dane
04-11-2010, 08:30 PM
I found out about tiny tim a short time after I started learning ukulele, and he damn near scared me away from the uke forever. I too suffer from Tim-O-Phobia, and there is no cure.

uke5417
04-12-2010, 05:04 AM
Seems to me the first thing to do would be talk to the kid. Find out what the issue is, if there is one.

BadLands Bart
04-12-2010, 06:09 AM
He is my hero!!!

rinygrin
04-25-2010, 04:20 PM
I do not know if this is April Fools or not... but if it is not...

The fact that this mother did not say, "It is Tiny Tim! He is just a Ukulele player! Get over it and GO TO BED!" is crazy!!! So, what if her child sees a "freaky looking" person in public... is she going to go up and politely pass them a note that says, "Thanks for your cooperation, but can you PLEASE hide your face? You are freaking my child out!"

"There's no denying that I'm ugly. In fact, I think I've got the kind of looks that can drive people to madness. Once, a guy stopped me on the street and said, 'You make me want to throw up my breakfast.'" - Tiny Tim

Skrik
04-27-2010, 10:06 AM
Coincidence?
12233 12234

tuscadero
04-27-2010, 01:43 PM
Instead of showing them old guys, dead guys, and scary guys, think like a kid, show them young guys, funny guys, cool guys, pretty girls… maybe not the best uke players, but people they might recognize or identify with, Adam Sandler, Wyclef Jean, Marilyn Monroe (yeah, I said it) even Obama (I know he can't play, but kids know him and there are pics of him with a uke) Eddie Vedder, Zac Efron, the NeverSayNever kid, Julia Nunes, Tamaine Gardner, Victoria Vox, Mr. Shue from Glee. The important thing is to get them enthusiastic about playing by showing them how cool it is on their level, not yours. Once they're hooked you can teach them about the greats.

I know you're an educator, but a spoonful of bubblegum sugar helps the medicine go down, sir. Also, if all I knew of ukulele was Tiny Tim and George Formby, I never would have touched the damn thing, and I'm pushing 40.

salukulady
04-27-2010, 04:17 PM
Instead of showing them old guys, dead guys, and scary guys, think like a kid, show them young guys, funny guys, cool guys, pretty girls… maybe not the best uke players, but people they might recognize or identify with, Adam Sandler, Wyclef Jean, Marilyn Monroe (yeah, I said it) even Obama (I know he can't play, but kids know him and there are pics of him with a uke) Eddie Vedder, Zac Efron, the NeverSayNever kid, Julia Nunes, Tamaine Gardner, Victoria Vox, Mr. Shue from Glee. The important thing is to get them enthusiastic about playing by showing them how cool it is on their level, not yours. Once they're hooked you can teach them about the greats.

I know you're an educator, but a spoonful of bubblegum sugar helps the medicine go down, sir. Also, if all I knew of ukulele was Tiny Tim and George Formby, I never would have touched the damn thing, and I'm pushing 40.

(pssst, FYI, the Obama uke pic was a photo shop thing. It's NeverShoutNever and his name is Christofer Drew Ingle.)

mds725
04-27-2010, 07:17 PM

I'll agree with almost anything anyone says who's from Arlington MA. (But I also agrtee with the substance of your comment to make the ukulele vibrant for children by showing it being played by real and vibrant people.)

Chris Tarman
04-28-2010, 04:19 AM
I'll agree with almost anything anyone says who's from Arlington MA. (But I also agrtee with the substance of your comment to make the ukulele vibrant for children by showing it being played by real and vibrant people.)

Tiny Tim wasn't real?

tuscadero
04-28-2010, 06:46 AM
This is photoshopped? http://nwfolk.com/graphics/ObamaUke.jpg

I'm a graphic designer and certified photoshop guru, no really. I thought it was real. Why do we think it's photoshopped? (hmm, the pic appeared and then disappeared, if it's not posted in my response, I saw it here. (http://nwfolk.com/piffle.html))

GVlog
04-28-2010, 06:50 AM
She was probably referring to this one which is PS'd.

http://www.jamesclark.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/barakulele.jpg

tuscadero
04-28-2010, 06:54 AM
Oh, yeah, that doesn't look right at all. Even John McCain's arms move more naturally than that. Ok, I will stop now before I get kicked off the forums. Apologies. I'm from Massachusetts, we can't help ourselves.

Ukuleleblues
04-28-2010, 05:52 PM
I'm amazed this thread is still alive. You want to freak out the kids, take down that pic and show them this thread, case its FREAKIN ME OUTTTTTT:D

luvdat
04-28-2010, 10:29 PM
I'm amazed this thread is still alive. You want to freak out the kids, take down that pic and show them this thread, case its FREAKIN ME OUTTTTTT:D

Ditto... This is emerging as an imagined "cause." Cringeworthy rating: 8. Maybe we can get the manager Michael from The Office to do a sensitivity training for everyone...just to make things worse.

hoosierhiver
04-29-2010, 04:25 AM
I recently talked to a customer who lived near Tiny Tim and his wife and went to the same church. He said that he was a really nice guy. Tim was really into the music of the 20's and 30's, (did you know that "Tiptoe thru the Tulips" isn't his song, it's an old 20's tune), in fact he was so adept at peforming music from that era, he recorded for the Smithsonian.

tuscadero
07-30-2010, 04:39 AM
Not to revive this long dead thread, but I read this quote in the SF Chronicle Article published this week. It's from Jake and it really gets to the point of the matter, "There's nothing I like better than talking to kids, just sharing the music with them," he says. That's when he uses his astounding versatility for the more mundane task of building bridges. "To relate to them, you need to play songs they're familiar with. So I'll play the theme from 'Family Guy,' ba da da da. Or I'll play Lady Gaga's 'Bad Romance.' And they'll just sit there with their mouths open, their eyes open, their ears open and their minds open. It's all about finding something they're passionate about, so you can pass what you're passionate about along."

Read more: Here. (http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/g/a/2010/07/29/apop072910.DTL#ixzz0vAzqzrP6)