Tim-o-phobia

darkwater

Reaction score
I teach elementary music, including class ukulele. I've posted some photos on my classroom door of well known uke players. This is an actual email I received today documenting possibly the most extreme reaction to Tiny Tim I've ever encountered:

"My son, ............., is horrified by the Tiny Tim picture on the door of the music room. He could not go to sleep last night, saying he can't get the scary picture off his mind. I had to bring him to our bed just so he can get some sleep. He has a
problem with it even when passing the hallway, not to talk about entering
the music room for classes. He's really panicking about coming to music
class.
Would you please, consider removing that picture from the wall so this
child can be comfortable in school again? I am really sorry for the
inconvenience, but I dont know any other way this problem can be solved.
Thanks a million times for your cooperation in this matter."

"My son, ............., is horrified by the Tiny Tim picture on the door of the music room.
I guess it's not this one, then?

draft_lens2055899module21235272photo_12372470241130TinyTim2.jpg

I can totally see how he'd be afraid of a Tiny Tim image -- some of his later photos make him look kind of menacing and even creep me out. (I bet some kids would even be a little freaked out by 65-year-old Dylan versus 1965 Dylan.)

Last edited:
Nope, this one.
Oh heck, you're kidding. Half my friends look like that. OK, some of them are scary too ... but in a good way. :)

Seriously, I always thought that was a nice photo of TT. It just exudes the fun and quirkiness of both the man and the instrument, and the reso is way cool.

Something tells me the young man may not have a bright future around musicians ...

Yeah, I kind of realized my younger kids couldn't appreciate the eccentric genius inherent in the Tiny Tim persona, so I looked for the least threatening image I could find. Most 7 year olds don't understand theatrical gestures. You can tell a lot about a kid by their reaction to a) humour, and b) tolerance for deviation from the "norm".

Not sure who the fellow is. Will probably need to Wiki when I find the time.

Just be a thoughtful teacher. Take it down and put up a photo of Riatea Helm. Most of the kids are probably more interested in contemporary artists anyway since they're the ones driving the new wave. I'm sure the boy will sleep much better.

rh01..jpg

In the future, you'll probably get another letter about some other problem, but you'll be able to dismiss it as an early onset of puberty.

Not sure who the fellow is ...

Just be a thoughtful teacher. Take it down and put up a photo of Riatea Helm. Most of the kids are probably more interested in contemporary artists anyway
And now you're kidding, right?

The kids are probably more interested in zombies than in math, too. I don't think the principles of good curriculum design work that way. Especially if it leads to not knowing stuff ... like a significant figure in the history of the instrument you're learning to play. ;)

Last edited:
And now you're kidding, right?

Actually, no.

But I'm just familiarizing myself with the instrument so maybe I don't yet know who falls under the category of significant historical artists.

I have heard of Peter Moon, Benny Chong, Daniel Ho, Ledward Kaapana, Eddie Kamae, Israel Kamakawiwo'ole, Moe Keale, Herb Ohta and Bill Tapia though. I have also heard of George Formby who did original compositions for the instrument, but he seems more popular in the UK.

I think I'll just excuse myself from the discussion.

OK, I now officially feel old. Tiny was a misunderstood '60s original character whose eccentricities obscured his accomplishments. He had his odd theatrical persona, but he was also a living archive of a lot of the music of the uke's first wave of popularity. Tiny was simultaneously behind the times and prophetic as far as respecting the individual vision.
I'm nearing retirement from teaching, but I'm probably more aware of the creative edge than the kids I teach who only know what the commercial machine feeds them. Do your homework in whatever aesthetic calls to you.

I'd tell that whinney mother that it was staying up and to get over it and tell your over-protected kid to get over it too. That's what's wrong with this country now, everyone is offended by something that doesn't matter one way or the other. Do something productive with your life instead of worrying about a picture of Tiny Tim. C'mon now, really!!!

I'd tell that whinney mother that it was staying up and to get over it and tell your over-protected kid to get over it too. That's what's wrong with this country now, everyone is offended by something that doesn't matter one way or the other. Do something productive with your life instead of worrying about a picture of Tiny Tim. C'mon now, really!!!

Agreed. I'd have the kid draw a mask for the TT photo. All I know is that the kid would hate to be in my class if he is scared of that pic.

Doug, you got a picture of me up?

:agree:
I'll admit I wonder at the causes of the child's "nervousness", Good grief, I can't imagine my mother ever pandering to such nonsense, a fact I well knew and I would not have "tried it on". (Though I have no doubt that at a formulative age I did "try it on", probably once)
....no offence to anybody I hope....me just shaking my head at "what the world is coming to" lol

Mind you it has always seemed to me that Mr Tim could have used a better shampoo on those greasy locks.

@darkwater: Just out of curiosity, who are the other ukulele players included in your photo display? I hope this guy isn't one of them:

image.php

Happy April Fool's Day to you, too!

I teach elementary music, including class ukulele. I've posted some photos on my classroom door of well known uke players. This is an actual email I received today documenting possibly the most extreme reaction to Tiny Tim I've ever encountered:

"My son, ............., is horrified by the Tiny Tim picture on the door of the music room. He could not go to sleep last night, saying he can't get the scary picture off his mind. I had to bring him to our bed just so he can get some sleep. He has a
problem with it even when passing the hallway, not to talk about entering
the music room for classes. He's really panicking about coming to music
class.
Would you please, consider removing that picture from the wall so this
child can be comfortable in school again? I am really sorry for the
inconvenience, but I dont know any other way this problem can be solved.
Thanks a million times for your cooperation in this matter."

True story, I remember when I was a kid, about 7, being scared by the Priest in "The Princess Bride". I have no idea why, but I remember the way he talked freaked me out: "Mawwiage, mawwiage is what bwings us here today." I seriously would leave the room. Don't worry though, I'm ok with it now.

I'd take the picture down if it was me. What lesson am I trying to teach by leaving a picture up that's giving a kid nightmares? Regardless of whether or not you think it should give him nightmares.

That seems a bit harsh. If Tiny Tim is haunting some poor kid's nightmares, if this child is indeed having horrific nocturnal visions of Tiny Tim menacing him then it's not a big deal to take down a little poster for a while.

But it's pretty funny that some poor kid sees Tiny Tim staring deep into his soul and doesn't like it. Tiny Tim, what hath thou wrought!?!?!

That seems a bit harsh. If Tiny Tim is haunting some poor kid's nightmares, if this child is indeed having horrific nocturnal visions of Tiny Tim menacing him then it's not a big deal to take down a little poster for a while.

But it's pretty funny that some poor kid sees Tiny Tim staring deep into his soul and doesn't like it. Tiny Tim, what hath thou wrought!?!?!

This is a way to look at it but what about the 30 kids that really enjoy it? Must all be sacrificed to please one?

Top Bottom