PDA

View Full Version : Your favorite size Uke

wxtornado
04-01-2010, 06:40 AM
What is your favorite size ukulele? Or if you don't have a favorite, which one do you play the most?

RevWill
04-01-2010, 06:45 AM
I'm a tenor guy. I love sopranos and my baritone is very cool, but I default to the tenors.

jmerchant
04-01-2010, 06:48 AM
Tenor gets 90% or my time. I think I could get used to Concerts if I spent more time with them, but Soprano's do not feel right in my hands. Although I could learn to love them all I'm sure.

haole
04-01-2010, 06:48 AM
I can honestly say that I don't have a preference.

SweetWaterBlue
04-01-2010, 06:59 AM
I voted other, because I like concert and tenor necks, but I like soprano bodies. When I play some songs I like my tenor, when I play others I like my sopranos.

the52blues
04-01-2010, 07:08 AM
I only have a tenor and a soprano and for me it is much easier to play the tenor but I enjoy the challenge of the soprano. I have yet to try a concert but feel it may be the best of both worlds...

kenikas
04-01-2010, 07:09 AM
I voted tenor since that's what I started on, and it's my low g uke which gets the most play time. But I have been spending a lot more time lately with my concert, and my old Harmony soprano in d tuning. I also have a baritone but don't play it much

MTGuru
04-01-2010, 07:21 AM
I'll betcha there's a strong age correlation with the answers - younger players reflexively favoring tenor, and older players not showing as strong a preference for one particular size. Just a guess.

mds725
04-01-2010, 07:24 AM
What is your favorite size ukulele? Or if you don't have a favorite, which one do you play the most?

Maybe there should be an "I have no favorite" option on the poll for those of us who divide our time equally among different sizes?

TheUkulazy
04-01-2010, 07:36 AM
I was a concert player for the first 9 months i played...after just picking up my friends tenor about two weeks ago i don't think i'll ever be able to go back to normal with my concert, i think the tenor is the perfect size for me

Coconut Willie
04-01-2010, 08:28 AM
Concert, that's all I have!!!!

darkwater
04-01-2010, 08:34 AM
For anything tricky I like the tenor. Of course my tenor is a KoAloha, so it's also my baby.

Huckleberry
04-01-2010, 08:35 AM
Just a thought. I have one (no UAS here yet) Kamaka Concert. Great for strumming. However, I believe a Tenor with low G is more suited for picking.
As you can see I'm slowly talking myself into UAS. With a Tenor, I can learn to play Santana's Europa or the haunting Spanish piece Aranjuez.
Could be wrong, but I think that works for me.

mangorockfish
04-01-2010, 08:58 AM
I have a concert and a tenor. I take one with me on my truck for about a week at a time. Which ever one I take, I'm ready to play the other when I get home and take the next week. All in all, I probably play my tenor the most.

Markwell
04-01-2010, 09:22 AM
Tenor. Not sure why, I think I just subconsciously associate it being bigger with being a "serious" instrument. Don't know why that is, and I'm not trying to say other sizes aren't serious instruments. Also, I like the fact you can use a low g string.

molokinirum
04-01-2010, 09:26 AM
I have a Tenor and a Concert and I find myself playing the concert for a while then switching back to the tenor. I really enjoy playing them both.

hawaiianmusiclover06
04-01-2010, 10:02 AM
I like the Soprano and tenors. I play the concert because its the right fit for me.

mailman
04-01-2010, 10:48 AM
I voted for concert, because I have two concerts and one soprano, and I like the concert size better. I have yet to play a tenor for more than a couple of minutes at a time, although I think I could really learn to like it....

arashi_nero
04-01-2010, 11:02 AM
i don't think i'm going to vote because i'd never be able to make a decision. i have a soprano and a tenor and until i changed the strings on both my instruments, i would say i like the tenor more. after i bought my tenor, i hardly played my soprano. but when i fixed my soprano and got good strings for it, i stopped playing my tenor. now that i have good strings on my tenor, i play both about the same. probably a little more the tenor. i love the timbre of both. i have also played many concert ukes at the store and i love the timbre of those as well. i have uas so bad, but no money. if i had ~$500, i'd own a concert and another tenor with a pickup.

Vindelanda
04-01-2010, 11:13 AM
I voted for concert, because I have two concerts and one soprano, and I like the concert size better. I have yet to play a tenor for more than a couple of minutes at a time, although I think I could really learn to like it....

Same. Concert seems like a nice middle between soprano and tenor to me, but when I have played tenors they were really nice. Haha, UAS is hitting me and I bought a Fluke just 3 days ago!

StereoJoker
04-01-2010, 11:13 AM
My first uke was a tenor, but I definitely prefer smaller instruments, which is why I went for a soprano as my second instead of a step-up baritone or one step-down concert. When I discovered the sopranino, the others were put to the side, and I basically ordered the sopranino on an impulse. It is now my constant companion.

For me, the smaller the uke, the better (I voted sopranino, obviously). The Kala Pocket is ridiculously tempting right now, but I'm kind of committed to my Ohana and my dwindling bank account. :o

luvdat
04-01-2010, 12:10 PM
Soprano...

Deets
04-01-2010, 12:26 PM
Soprano. Which is a bit odd, seeing as coming to uke from guitar, I figured I'd be more comfortable with tenor. But nope, strummin' the sop just feels more natural to me.

Raygf
04-01-2010, 01:30 PM
I voted other, mainly because the number of frets is what matters for me. I prefer 15 or more. My KoAloha long neck soprano is my favorite of favorites. I ordered my flea with a concert neck and I just ordered an Earnest Instruments ceegar box ukulele with a concert neck. I like having the octave C on the A string. I also own several 12 fret sopranos that get lots of play as well as all my tenors.
Regards,
Ray

GreatGazukes
04-01-2010, 01:50 PM
I started on a Concert, and slipped back to a Soprano. I never get the concert out now, but I'm holding on to it for the moment to see if I need it for picking or something else fancy when my skills increase, somehow I hope I wont need the concert. I like the diminutive Ukulele, seems more traditional. (really I just find the soprano easier to chord, must be the right size for my hand, though I would give the sopranino a try)

Ahnko Honu
04-01-2010, 02:32 PM
Mine was a toss up between soprano and concert but since I had one more concert than a soprano and I could only pick one I picked the concert. Ask me again tomorrow and I'd probably pick the soprano. Not a big fan of either the tenor nor the baritone though I do own one of each, just a tad too bulky for a guy growing up in a soprano house.

Chris Tarman
04-01-2010, 03:01 PM
Soprano, which is weird since I have played bass guitar for 30 years. My first decent uke was a concert, and I like that size, but somehow soprano seems more "ukulele-ish" to me. I have a tenor, which I do like, but overall I prefer soprano. I would like a better concert someday though! Oh! And a tenor tuned to Low G. Oh! And....

DaveVisi
04-01-2010, 03:03 PM
I only have a tenor and a soprano and for me it is much easier to play the tenor but I enjoy the challenge of the soprano. I have yet to try a concert but feel it may be the best of both worlds...

^ What he said...

salukulady
04-01-2010, 03:05 PM
I own all five sizes on the list and a banjolele. My heart belongs to the Soprano first and the Baritone second.

StereoJoker
04-01-2010, 03:23 PM
Man, am I the only one who likes tiny things?

...wait. Don't answer that.

heyjude
04-01-2010, 03:31 PM
I've got three soprano scale, three concert scale, four tenor scale and one baritone scale ukes but if push came to shove and I could only keep one of them it would be my KoAloha tenor.

Jude

pdxuke
04-01-2010, 03:55 PM
All soprano, all the time...

uke552
04-01-2010, 05:27 PM
Soprano-can't beat the sound!

pithaya9
04-01-2010, 05:36 PM
I didn't vote because there is no way I could choose. Well maybe my new T2 KoAloha, tenor neck soprano body.

Dane
04-01-2010, 09:42 PM
Tenor, they call me mellow yellow. I only have 2 ukes, my old starter laminate plywood oscar schmidt, and my beautiful Ohana Solid Mahogany Tenor. I'm sure there would be some sopranos and concerts that I liked the sound of for some strumming songs, but I like the feel of a tenor neck and the nice full sound of a tenor body. I'd like to play a baritone sometime as well.

plankspanker
04-01-2010, 09:55 PM
Soprano - it fits in the topbox on my bike and in the panniers on my bicycle. No other uke would be as portable for me. That's the choice, that's the reasoning. :)

sebi
04-01-2010, 10:59 PM
I'm a Concert guy. Not too tiny, not too big, just some nice round curves that feel good in your hands. Well, ya know what I mean :cool:

iDavid
04-01-2010, 11:54 PM
Guitar to Baritone uke to Soprano to Tenor and now Concert.

The Concert is a KoAloha so that may have something to do with it, but the Concert is the perfect size and it has volume to spare. I also played a Bushman concert and really like it also, expect the fret-work was nonexistent.

Barry
04-02-2010, 01:13 AM
I was a sapronino lover until last december when I fell in love with my concert!

happyslappysoong
04-02-2010, 08:46 PM
Tenor fo' sheezy. Its like a soprano or concert, but just bigger, and sounds more full! Why wouldn't anyone want that?? =)

CDon
04-06-2010, 11:15 AM
Soprano, but with a long neck.

Uncle Rod Higuchi
04-06-2010, 12:29 PM
Soprano Kala Travel Uke is my main instrument for now.

I used to play Bari and Tenor exclusively. Then I got back to the Soprano.

I played around with the Concert for a while and really enjoyed the 5-string
Mele prototype until... the Kala Soprano Travel Uke! I'll take a look at the
Kala Concert Travel Uke when I get back home (Honolulu) this summer. Maybe
even the Tenor Travel Uke.

I like the idea/concept of the Concert, but I just find myself gravitating to my
Sopranos.

StereoJoker
04-06-2010, 12:36 PM
Awww, out of about 100 of you guys, I'm still the only sopranino superfan. :(

I'm actually more surprised that nobody chose the baritone as a favorite. I guess the concert and tenor have a sort of Goldilocks appeal (not too big, not too small, just right).

Lori
04-06-2010, 02:33 PM
I voted concert, but I think I favor the long neck soprano, and the long neck concert. I do like variety though, so it is hard to choose just one.

–Lori

HoldinCoffee
04-06-2010, 03:44 PM
Baritone. I never meant for it to happen, I just bought one on impulse and now I have four! One's tuned standard bari, one's GCEA, one's dGBD, and another is in F-Whahine. Cool thing about baritones, you can find used ones very cheap!

Pukulele Pete
04-07-2010, 12:11 AM
Soprano. Anything larger is cheating.

ukantor
04-07-2010, 01:28 AM
Soprano - the original, and only true, ukulele. Tenors are played by wannabee guitarists, who can't cope with six strings.

;-

Dane
04-07-2010, 06:42 AM
I have pretty long fingers, and I'm sure someone will tell me about some master pianist with tiny sausage fingers, but making some of the chord shapes on even a concert causes me pains in my fingers. It's the reason I don't play my mandolin, it's not fun, it's actually painful. I also have some very different chords and finger-pickings that I have worked out that BARELY fit on my tenor, I would not be able to play these on anything smaller. Everyone has a sound they prefer, for me, it's the more full and soothing sound of a tenor ukulele. I would also like to try a baritone sometime. I play guitar, acoustic and electric, and my ukulele, I play completely different things on all 3, does that make me a "wannabee guitarists, who can't cope with six strings"?

salukulady
04-07-2010, 06:43 AM
Soprano - the original, and only true, ukulele. Tenors are played by wannabee guitarists, who can't cope with six strings.

;-Lets hope you're saying that with a smiley on your face.......

ukantor
04-07-2010, 12:18 PM
;- That was a "winky" - sort of. I know you guys are good sports, and won't take it the wrong way.

Ukantor.

covernment
04-07-2010, 12:20 PM
only tried a soprano and i love it

demcav
01-21-2012, 06:14 AM
That's a hard decision...
I love the "innocent" plunkiness of the soprano, which just seems to shout ukulele in tone; also its small size makes fingering up and down the neck very quick, along with being the most easily portable! I pick up a tenor for its clear, rich, ringing tone; and its longer scale seems to result in more precise intonation up the scale. The concert seems to provide some of both...more like the soprano in tone and timbre, while having better intonation than the soprano. I don't have a baritone or sopranino, but enjoy all three sizes that I do have, with the tenors probably getting the most play time.

Chap
01-21-2012, 06:45 AM
Other - Longneck Soprano. The combination of the soprano sound with the roomier fretboard makes it my favorite.

tjomball
01-21-2012, 06:49 AM
I voted concert because that's my newest one.
Hence it gets the most playing time.

But I still LOVE my tenor uke.
Although I'm growing ever fonder of my concert.. :)

but in all fairness. All ukes are fun.. ;)

Nickie
01-21-2012, 06:53 AM
i don't think i'm going to vote because i'd never be able to make a decision. i have a soprano and a tenor and until i changed the strings on both my instruments, i would say i like the tenor more. after i bought my tenor, i hardly played my soprano. but when i fixed my soprano and got good strings for it, i stopped playing my tenor. now that i have good strings on my tenor, i play both about the same. probably a little more the tenor. i love the timbre of both. i have also played many concert ukes at the store and i love the timbre of those as well. i have uas so bad, but no money. if i had ~$500, i'd own a concert and another tenor with a pickup.

May you have all of the money you'd ever want!

Nickie
01-21-2012, 07:07 AM
I've tried all the sizes. I think I at first wanted a Concert, because I like the name "Concert" so much. Although it could be called "alto". The bari is just way too big for me, I can't hold a guitar, either. I like the tenor, but it's just more money for almost the same thing (it seems) as a concert. My second and last purchases were concerts, and my next one will be. Does it seem that most guys and serious players favor the tenor? I like the soprano too, but it mostly sounds a little plinky to me, and they are hard to hold onto, the little devils! somehow, I just can't justify putting a strap on a soprano.

kaizersoza
01-21-2012, 07:54 AM
simple decision for me its tenor ukes all da way, they are by far my favourite size, sopranos are great fun and i can see the point of concerts but for sheer playability you can pluck a tenor, you can solo on one and you can strum one, because of my big hands i have problems soloing on a soprano, i can just about get by on a concert but coz of the string spacing i keep hitting the string next to the one i want to pick

dvep
01-21-2012, 08:36 AM
I'm pretty set on concerts. I have small hands so anything bigger is tedious.

After trying a sopranino I vowed to not go smaller, but after trying an actual soprano I want to acquire one soon.

myrnaukelele
01-21-2012, 08:41 AM
I've only owned sopranos and baritones (and banjo ukes). I recently bought my daughter a concert and really loved it. This may be the next size uke I buy.

efiscella
01-21-2012, 09:19 AM
I voted for Tenor. Even though I favor my super tenor. It is still a tenor. So is the Kamaka lili'u 8 string. I would have to say it is the tenor

mm stan
01-21-2012, 10:14 AM
They are like my kids, love them all ....they all have different voices, personality and charather..
every size, shape and materials..it's all good for me.....sure I've got favorites, but I won't tell.. He He....

byjimini
01-21-2012, 10:20 AM
Tenors, because of the larger frets and the number of them.

I will get a soprano again someday; either a Martin 5k (within budget!) or a lookalike from someone like Moore Bettah.

itsscottwilder
01-23-2012, 07:49 AM
I started on a concert size, but the extra room of a tenor is hard to beat. I go back to the concert whenever I have a song with really long left hand stretches.

mandrew
01-24-2012, 05:55 AM
I voted for the concert. I have played soprano, concert and tenor. I have rather small hands, and the concert feels right for me. I have and Islander, which has a 1 1/2" nut which really helps in the finger room department. Concert for me!

ItsMrPitchy
01-24-2012, 10:09 AM
Voted tenor. I just love the deeper tone.

drbekken
01-24-2012, 06:09 PM
Soprano AND baritone are my favorites. Two different instruments - two different sounds. Impossible to choose, really.