PDA

View Full Version : Least expensive way to ship from USA to UK? or the best?

xoukulele
04-01-2010, 08:31 AM
Anyone ever ship to the UK from the States? What do I have to do? This is new to me. Thanks.:confused:

Lori
04-01-2010, 09:24 AM
I found for my small strap package, United States Postal Service, first class mail, was the cheapest. If you know the weight and dimensions of the package, you can get estimates online. http://www.usps.com/tools/calculatepostage/welcome.htm?from=home_header&page=calculatepostage
Also compare UPS and FedEx online quotes.

–Lori

sukie
04-01-2010, 12:12 PM
Yep -- I agree with Lori. I've sent a few things to England and US Postal Service is the cheapest. I've not had trouble with the delivery either. You might also want to check out the Postal Service pre-priced boxes. You get them for free and don't pay anything until you go to send it. The boxes vary in postage rates with smallest the least expensive -- duh! Be careful though, it's a tad pricey.

fivetide
04-01-2010, 12:43 PM
It's insurance that really costs. That and the customs and excise at the other end here in Blighty.

pulelehua
04-01-2010, 12:49 PM
As fivetide says, beware customs. The person getting the parcel won't get it if there's customs to charge UNTIL they're paid. And customs can be a hefty sum. It's based on what you insure the package for, so sometimes you can risk it, and under-insure.

If you use USPS, I would advise just using regular first class. In my experience (10 years of fairly constantly flowing stuff), all the fancy express/priority/blah de blah have no effect once the package is over the Atlantic. I actually have usually received regular things before priority packages.

itsme
04-01-2010, 02:49 PM
One concern with USPS is that I don't believe they offer any actual real-time tracking, like UPS/Fedex do. You can insure against loss/damage, though.

I've heard customs/excise can be a bear. Now, I'm not suggesting anyone do anything unethical, but I have heard that for shipments to Canada (similar type of situation) you can designate an item as a "gift" and the recipient doesn't get hit with charges as if it were a sale.

I once ordered a CD from a small independent UK record company, and it arrived with something on the envelope marked as it being a gift. Didn't sound quite right, since I paid for it, but I figured they knew what they were doing and were just trying to save both ends from being hit with any extra cost or delay.