Win a Mya-Moe Tenor Uke! Official UU "FROM OUR HOUSE TO YOURS" Contest!

anaka

Ukulele Underground Staff
Staff member
Reaction score

Apparently, Aldrine had NO IDEA how to pronounce "Mya-Moe" correctly. :D
For the right way to pronounce "Mya-Moe" please check out the Corrected-Pronunciation Mya-Moe Contest Video.

Hey UUers!

This month (April 2010) we're giving away a brand new Tenor Mya-Moe Pacific NW Aloha Series Ukulele!! It's a solid curly myrtle ukulele, and since myrtle trees are abundant in southern Oregon, the home of Mya-Moe Ukuleles, they wanted to know about your 'home'. So the "From Our House to Yours" contest goes like this:

1. Make a video of a song that tells us about your 'home'.
2. Upload it to YouTube.
3. Submit the video in this thread.

Be sure to mention the Mya-Moe/UU "From Our House to Yours" contest at the beginning of your video. The song must be played on an ukulele. Only one entry per person.

Songs can be originals or covers (just make sure to give credit to the writer/performer of the song). "Home" can be anywhere - your room, your house, your town, your country, your planet - just as long as you consider it your 'home'.

Entries will be judged on creativity, passion, and how well the song reflects how you feel about your ‘home’. Anyone with a good idea could win it, regardless of ukulele skill, so have fun with it!

1st Prize: Tenor, solid maple, mahogany neck, ebony fretboard, geared tuners, pearl inlay, Mya-Moe Ukulele + hardshell case w/ built in thermometer & hygrometer.
2nd & 3rd Prize: Mya-Moe T-Shirt & Mya-Moe Ukulele Strap!

Deadline to enter: April 30, 2010

Post your entry below - Good luck!!

Last edited:
I'm sorry if this is inappropriate for this thread but, does anyone know the song that Aldrine played in the video?

I'm sorry if this is inappropriate for this thread but, does anyone know the song that Aldrine played in the video?

I don't normally say this, but this song is beautiful! and it gives the feeling of passion for home... before I ever knew what the contest was about...

What an awesome competition... I'm SOOO entering this !! good luck to everyone and I can't wait to see what people convey through their song about what they consider home !! :D

AHHHAHAHA MYA MOE !

Last edited:
I'm going to work on a song all day, since the ukulele i'm using is going back to the original owner, because he's moving away from me...and i'm to obligated by soo many other things financially *cough school sucks cough* lol

Awesome prize from some awesome people!

Mya-Moe is high on my wants list. I've spoke with them a few times and they are incredibly nice people.

How do you like the neck on yours. Can you compare it to a KoAloha? I am more interested in the bulk of the neck. I can deal with wide or narrow, but I prefer thinner overall.

Mya-Moe is high on my wants list. I've spoke with them a few times and they are incredibly nice people.

How do you like the neck on yours. Can you compare it to a KoAloha? I am more interested in the bulk of the neck. I can deal with wide or narrow, but I prefer thinner overall.

Neck circumference

Code:
fret      MM              K
1st      3 3/4"         4"
5th      3 7/8"         4 1/4" 
12th    4 1/2"         5"  (huge heel)

Code:
Width
fret      MM                K
1st      1  7/16"         1 1/2"
5th      1  9/16"         1 5/8" 
12th    1  3/4"           1 3/4"

Also, the Mya-Moe's profile is feels flatter.

Definitely gonna try and come up with a good song/vid idea for this one. I've heard nothing but good stuff about Mya-Moe ukes and it'd be great to have one in my arsenal.

Aldrine, no worries about the mispronunciation. In high school I gave daily news updates via intercom and one day I kept reading ouija (pronounced: wee-jee) as out-ja (yep, like it's spelled). Yeah, that was pretty dumb.

Good luck everyone!

Oh gosh, I think I'm ready to enter my first contest!

And now, to procrastinate on my school project and (attempt to) get creative...

Thanks for all the awesome comments, guys! Looks like it's ON already - first entry p-p-p-posted!

...does anyone know the song that Aldrine played in the video?

In the contest video, Aldrine was noodling around with the verse chords to "Hele On to Kauai" - a song that really represents our home! Here's Iz's version - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8dPGnBojAQ

Is this the unbelieveably awsome contest we were told to expect in March? I was starting to think is was never going to happen, but it was worth the wait

Nope. What we had planned for March took a little longer than we expected, so we postponed it until May. But don't you fret, DeG - it will definitely be worth the wait (you'll see) ;)

Last edited:
Neck circumference

Code:
fret      MM              K
1st      3 3/4"         4"
5th      3 7/8"         4 1/4" 
12th    4 1/2"         5"  (huge heel)

Code:
Width
fret      MM                K
1st      1  7/16"         1 1/2"
5th      1  9/16"         1 5/8" 
12th    1  3/4"           1 3/4"

Also, the Mya-Moe's profile is feels flatter.

The numbers make me dizzy. How does the Mya-Moe's neck feel compared to the KoAloha Concert...

Seems like Mya-Moe makes a nice neck.

Ideas a'brewin'.
I was especially intrigued by this series of ukuleles on Mya-Moe's site when I was there drooling and daydreaming the other day.

The numbers make me dizzy. How does the Mya-Moe's neck feel compared to the KoAloha Concert...

Seems like Mya-Moe makes a nice neck.

The necks with any string instrument are usually personal preference. Some people have larger hands, smaller hands, longer fingers, different hold styles, etc etc etc. But if it's close to something you're used to, you might like it, or be able to get used to it.

We're fine with instrumental submissions for the video.

And, in terms of the neck--our are all hand-shaped. As Dane says, people have different sized hands and are used to different sized necks, so we try to respond to that when we shape the neck. That having been said, literally 99% of our customers prefer our "standard" neck. It's a bit thinner than most, but for my hands it makes the neck "faster". It also reduces the weight of the instrument and puts the balance point where we like it (at the dovetail neck/body joint). We inlay a graphite rod in every neck for both stability and tone (stiffer is better).

We had one person ask for an even thinner neck, but after playing it they didn't like it--too thin can cause cramping in the hands.

We're fine with instrumental submissions for the video.

And, in terms of the neck--our are all hand-shaped. As Dane says, people have different sized hands and are used to different sized necks, so we try to respond to that when we shape the neck. That having been said, literally 99% of our customers prefer our "standard" neck. It's a bit thinner than most, but for my hands it makes the neck "faster". It also reduces the weight of the instrument and puts the balance point where we like it (at the dovetail neck/body joint). We inlay a graphite rod in every neck for both stability and tone (stiffer is better).

We had one person ask for an even thinner neck, but after playing it they didn't like it--too thin can cause cramping in the hands.

That is a great service.

I love the sound of your NW Aloha Series. I will be in your area this summer and hope I can stop by to try your ukes.

How is the volume on your NW Aloha series compared to your Koa or Mango?

THANKS!

Last edited:
Top Bottom