Uke fest New York

Everyone I know who went to last year's fest was very pleased.

Anyone ever been to this ? I'm new to this,is it worth going to?

It looks interesting. I was planning to go but The wife will be away that weekend (I THINK SHE PLANNED IT THAT WAY) So I have to baby sit. I'm guessing if you are thinking of going that you might live in the area. Where are you from?

I was there last year and it was awesome. Def go if you have the time for it, the classes are fun and the shows at night were great. you can check my youtube channel for the videos from last year.

Ill be there for the shows this year, cant make the classes

I'm up about 30 miles north of the city. Classes? Should I bring my uku with me?

I'm up about 30 miles north of the city. Classes? Should I bring my uku with me?
Bring your uke, everyone else there will have one. Last year was a great time and I'm expecting this year will be just as fun if not more so because this will be Ken Bari Murray's second time running it. There should be an open mike on Sunday during the luau as well. This was me and some other Connecticut people last year at the open mike, I'm the tall one.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7A4c-6UAkOw
So, lots of good reasons to bring a uke.

I'm going again this year-already have my ticket!

Bring your uke, everyone else there will have one. Last year was a great time and I'm expecting this year will be just as fun if not more so because this will be Ken Bari Murray's second time running it. There should be an open mike on Sunday during the luau as well. This was me and some other Connecticut people last year at the open mike, I'm the tall one.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7A4c-6UAkOw
So, lots of good reasons to bring a uke.

Great Job. Hope I can get there.

I'm thinking about going as well. I live in Ithaca so it will probably be a case of riding up in the morning, hanging out at the Uke fest for a day, then heading back that night. I'm thinking I'll probably go the second day so I can catch some classes with Beloff and Lil Rev. Does anyone know how the tickets go if you're only going for one day? Are they sold by the workshop or what?

I just bought my ticket. I had fun last year so I'm looking forward to this.

Early bird ticket prices end May 1 so act quickly if you know you're going.

Gotta buy my tickets today! Anyone know if there's a discount for UU members like there was last year? If not, I'm probably only getting one ticket. :(

I hadn't heard of any discounts this year(I think some secret benefactor sponsored the UU special last year). I paid the regular early price for mine.

I just checked the website and it appears they have extended their "early bird" ticket offer to May 7. There's still a couple more days to save a little cash.

I only bought one ticket this year because they were rather expensive, and felt kinda bad about not being able to bring friends/family like I did last year. But holy crap, Ken Murray is the man! Just got an email which contained the best news I've heard in the last three days:

We have a problem! Judging by the ticket sales so far, there are likely to be too few Fest attendees at Baruch College this year. I guess this is because I took both theaters, rather than just Engelman, like last year. C’est la vie! Now that we are in this circumstance, I don’t want to disappoint the performers or vendors, nor do I want to sell tickets to others at a cheaper price than to those of you who have already purchased them at a fair price. So, here is my proposal to you. Anyone who has already purchased a ticket, can purchase another one of equal or lesser value, for just $10! If you have a Full-Festival ticket, you can get another one for your friend for just $10! If you bought a Concert ticket for $30, match it for $10. Any ticket can be matched for $10. To take advantage of this offer, go to nyukefest.com website after Monday, when we will post the change and choose the “Special” $10 button. When you are about to pay, there will be a space where you can add a note under “Add special instructions to the merchant.” Here you add a note, which tells us which ticket you already have purchased and which ticket you would like for the $10. That’s it! When you arrive at the Fest to pick up your ticket at the box office, there will be a second ticket included with the original one! Not quite “Buy one get one free”, but almost! Please help us to fill the house for this year’s New York Uke Fest. If this explanation is not clear to you, please send me a email with your question.

TL;DR: If you already bought a ticket as of now, you can buy an additional one for only $10 starting Monday!

Fantastic news for those who were originally turned off by the prices and lack of UU discount this year.

Don't see MGM on the list of vendors this year! Did I miss something? D:

Gosh, I hope he is there. His table was one of the highlights of last year's festival for me. First time I ever got to touch high-end ukes like Koaloha, Kanilea, etc.

I am totally going to buy another Saturday pass for one of my friends! Awesome!!

I'm looking forward to attending this event on Saturday and I hope to meet some UU contributers in person. I'm not sure if we'll have name badges, but hopefully folks will recognize me from the Barnkickers website/CD. I'll be sitting in with Jim & Liz Beloff on Saturday evening and Laird Boles from Tripping Lily is kindly letting me use his upright bass (I had been planning to use my Kala U-Bass). Seven of the performers who appeared on the "Square Pegs" compilation CD will be appearing at the uke fest, so it may be a good opportunity to get your copy signed...Jim Beloff will be selling this and other CD's at his vendor booth.

- Steve

Cant make it this year. I tore my ACL and wont be able to even get near Baruch. (probably a good thing too, since the people I used to work at the pool there, still work there and we all left on horrid terms.)

Anyway, have fun guys!

Top Bottom