Koa build

lefty dan

Reaction score
So Im a new builder. Done about five or six now. All sopranos and now Im starting a concert. Its a koa concert. I had to make new jigs and buy a blue print from Hana lama.
Today I bent the sides on my new jig. They bent like butter! Tomorrow I will work on it some more but so far so good.
Just excited that things are working out and wanted to share.
Dan
koauke006.jpg

koauke012.jpg

Last edited:
Looks awesome, Dan. Nice job bending that koa! I'm really looking forward to watching this one get built.

Looks nice! Nice bender too btw... also interested to know if you are using a heat blanket or bulbs

koauke018.jpg

koauke017.jpg

"when your bending are you using a heat blanket or light bulbs ? "

Im using light bulbs. See attached photo. I used the same type LB jig for the sopranos I built and it worked good. I think the key is to work quickly. I dont know how hot the bulbs get but here is what I use.
Two 150W clear bulbs. I plug the thing in and wait about five min. It gets so hot I cant keep my fingers on the aluminum. If I was to guess Id say maybe 300 deg.?? Ive bent Mahogany and walnut in this type jig without problems and now koa. So for me its working. I never leave the room when the thing is plugged in just in case of something catching fire!!

I woke up this morning and snuck outside in my garage to check the uke build. I took it out of the mold and its holding together. Im still happy.

I will post photos along the way. Thats half the fun for me.
Regards
Dan

Last edited:
Dan I don't mean to hit with a bunch of dumb questions. But I have bean using a hot pipe and it has bean working but i keep getting some slight waviness in my sides. So I was thinking of building a gig like yours with bulbs. And I was wondering if you soak your sides or just spray them ?

Thanks Perry

hey dan, i would really like to know what plans you used for your jigs and the bender and where you got them ! they look great and i want to start building but i want to have some nice solid jigs to work with and i def want a bender.. i like yours alot

"you soak your sides or just spray them ? "

I soak my sides then put them in the bender. As Im bending I spray water on the sides to keep them from drying out before Im done with the bending.

"plans you used for your jigs and the bender "

I just used a template for the bender. So I traced the perimeter of the uke. folded it in half. Then thats what I used to cut the jig to go over the light bulbs. The jig for the mold is like the Stew Mac plans. I just traced the perimeter of the uke on a board. Then glued and screwed a hunk of wood on both ends where the top and bottom blocks are going to go. The wood is the exact height of the front of the sides of the front block and the same for the rear block. I bought plans/blue prints from Hana Lama for the tracing or the body on my Concert build that Im working on.

Just know that I am a beginner and there are a lot of people on this forum that are pros and know what there doing. I would go with what they say before firing up a saw.

Dan

Good idea on not leaving the room when its plugged in Dan. When I weld I follow an old welders' admonition to not leave the workshop until a half-hour after the last weld or grinding operation, to make sure an errant hot piece of steel isn't smoldering in a nook or cranny somewhere.

I have just about decided that the type bender you built is the one I am going to try first. I think once I do, I will just set it outside for an hour or so after I use it. That way, if it bursts into flames, I will only lose the wood. Did you cover the inside of the wood with anything like aluminum foil to try to keep scorching down?

Last edited:
"Did you cover the inside of the wood with anything like aluminum foil to try to keep scorching down? "

I didnt cover the inside with anything. My soprano was used several times and if you look inside there is no scorching at all. Cant even tell heat was inside.
As far as putting it outside after. I unplug it and by the time Im done with the side I just bent its cooled off.

Dan

A method that works well for me is to put the side into a canvas envelope that has been wetted down with the water squeezed out of it. Seems to give the sides a little support, just the right amount of moisture and prevents scorching. It's also a good idea to wire your bender through a timer. There are a variety of them to choose from at your local home improvement store.
h
Happy Easter everyone. I have to go out in the yard and hunt for breakfast now.

Top Bottom