Island Legends uke store closing - all ukes 25% off

wickedwahine11

Reaction score
For you SoCal UU'ers, Island Legends in Torrance, CA is closing its doors. Everything is 25% off right now. I was there today and bought some strings and a new tuner, but even the ukes are on sale. If you are in the market for a new uke, he had some Kamakas, Kanile'as, Big Island, and lots of medium priced ukes (like Kala, Makala, Ohana, etc.) There was a beautiful K1 Kanile'a tenor and at 25% off, that is a steal.

I'm sorry to see the store go. Todd, the guy who owns it, is a nice enough guy and they offered ukulele lessons there for only $5 a session. He seemed sort of resigned and mentioned to me that is was "a sign of the times."

I didn't really need any strings or the new tuner, but I wanted to help him out by buying something. And I certainly couldn't afford the Kanile'a right now...

He also has some Hawaiian stuff like wood bowls, tshirts, and jewelry.

They have a website?

They have a website?

No, unfortunately, they don't. He is just a little local shop and it's a real shame he is leaving. There are only a couple of ukulele only shops in Southern California, and the other one is really far in Huntington Beach. :(

They do have a website: www.islandlegends.com It's basically to tell you about their business; you can't order merchandise online.

I just started the beginning uke classes a few Saturdays ago. Ours is the last class they will be having. They still have a lot of jewelry and t-shirts and cases and ukes. Oh, and music stands are 35% off and going for $13 each. Can't beat that price.

It's a shame that they're closing. *:(

I called. Sadly, they don't have what I'm looking for. Great sale though.

man total bummer. I'd like to pick up a K for 25% off but I would never buy one without playing it first. I wonder how far of a drive it is from Phoenix...

Anyone know what is left in stock?

Lots of Kala, Ohana and Lanikai. Only one big K brand left. They just sold two Kamaka concerts the other day. The last K left is a five string Kanilea super tenor. Strings are almost gone. Great deal on 800 series tuners. They are about 11 bucks.

Oh man I miss this place. I thought I had found a replacement in Styles of Hawaii just further down on PCH but nothing compared to the stuff Todd had. The only other place that has a halfway decent selection of stuff is Island Bazaar in HB.

Are there any other shops in the area?

Hold it - you've got two stores with ukuleles within easy driving distance and you're complaining! Man, you should move here to the wastelands of culture!

LOL

John

Off the subject. I'd HARDLY call DFW the wastelands of culture. I realize we're not better than everyone at everything. But yeah, i'm a loyalist. And I stick to my theory that if you can't find what you want here in most cases your'e probably not looking. And if you can't have fun here you probably won't anywhere. We have a good local music scene, all pro and tons of minor league sports, museums, playhouses, various concert halls and symphonies, beautiful parks, AMAZING food in basically all categories.... ...ok, enough preaching. ha.

......sorry for the rant....

But yeah. we don't have much for good uke shops. But I guess thats what Larry's Music phone orders and the interwebs are for.

Heh, heh. But, Dustin, you've got to remember, I'm on the west side of Hwy 360 - and I don't consider Billy Bob's culture! LOL

I guess it doesn't help that I lived for a time not far from the shops Ronin was talking about - alas, it was twenty years ago when I was too young and dumb to appreciate the finer things in life - like ukuleles!

Seriously, we do get some pretty good bands come through here at Bass Hall downtown, whatever they're calling the venue in Grand Prairie this week, etc. But for music stores you're actually probably better off going all the way to Weatherford to Craig's music than anything around here (though Craig doesn't carry ukes, either, but at least he's got a great selection of acoustics from budget through crazy presentation grade stuff).

John

HA HA HA. good point John. I do like to harass my fort worth friends about it just being a suburb of Dallas. Sorry for the rant. I can get pretty protective of my city. dang. Haven't checked out craigs music but might need to.

Top Bottom