Another tuing question...

Olivia

Reaction score
Sorry for another tuning question, but I'm horrible at tuning! My electronic tuner will say a string is right, but it recognizes it as the wrong string.. It thinks the A string is a G string.. Anything I can do to fix it, or is it supposed to be like that?

Don't be sorry for honest questions Olivia!! My guess is that you need to tune up....meaning that if you are on "Chromatic" you are a full step down.....so tune up to "A" which would mean going past "G" until your tuner says "A". Your strings will stretch like crazy causing them to go flat which could account for A string going down to G. You are almost there, keep it up and ask questions!!

Here's another tip. If you're tuning up after restringing, or if your strings are way off ... It really helps to have a reference pitch. I mean actual sounds, not just a moving thingy on a tuner dial. E.g. a tuning fork, or another instrument. Get your strings at least roughly in tune by ear, then use your tuner to zero in on the targets.

Also, if your tuner is going screwy recognizing the strings, just put it in chromatic mode. You're smarter than the tuner, and you know what note you're tuning each string to. So just shoot for those notes in chromatic mode.

Another tip about tuning....

Tune UP to the correct pitch, not DOWN. If you accidentally tune a string higher than the pitch you want, tune it back down again and try again to come up to it. If you can't tell if you are close to where you want to be, compare the note your string makes to the note from an online audio-type tuner. This isn't hard, Olivia....you can do it!!

Did you get it Olivia? Do you need a link to an online tuner that plays the tone so you can hear what it should be?

Yeah, I think I got. And I found an online tuner too. Thanks!!!!:)

online tuner that plays the tone
Doh! I forgot about that option. :eek:

I keep an A440 on my computer desktop. It's just an mp3 of a midi piano playing A440 for 3 seconds. Very handy.

Olivia, glad you figured it out!

Top Bottom