What Does This Mean?

mangorockfish

Reaction score
I saw a song written in tab note for note. There was a 0 on the second string at the end of a measure. The first note of the next measure was written like this, (0). What do the parentheses mean? Thanks

"O" or "0" means it's an "O"pen string, i.e. not fretted. The () around any number means you sustain that note through the next measure, or until the next note number is written. It's one of the only ways you can denote note timing in tablature.

"O" or "0" means it's an "O"pen string, i.e. not fretted. The () around any number means you sustain that note through the next measure, or until the next note number is written. It's one of the only ways you can denote note timing in tablature.

Yes, and no. Yes, it is an open string and the parenthesis mean you sustain the note into the next measure. This is called a "tie" and in sheet music it is represented as a big, turned-sideways parenthesis over or under the two tied notes (depending on whether the stem goes up or down).

No, it's not really a way to denote timing in tab. The lack of all other timing direction makes the location of the measure and a tie a moot point. You've got to know the song to play from tab - unless it's a tab in just eighth notes and you can say "all notes 8th" or it is a tab in conjunction with standard notation like in Powertab or somebody took the time to denote note durations as "W, H, Q, E, etc".

I always read it as being an optional note, I never knew it was about sustain. You learn something every day, thanks! :)

I always read it as being an optional note, I never knew it was about sustain. You learn something every day, thanks! :)

It can be a ghost note too (quiet, optional), but if it is after a note of the same and the first in a new measure, it's a tie.

Thanks guys. This place is amazing, you can find out just about anything in a matter of minutes. Thanks again.

Top Bottom