Frankenfinger Productions Presents: Uke Build 0003

Matt Clara

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Cherry with a sycamore neck and wenge bridge and fretboard. Sounds great, though not as loud as I'd like. I was afraid the sycamore neck would deaden the sustain compared to my last with the cherry neck, but I don't notice any loss of such, and the sycamore is significantly lighter than the cherry. It also looks good with the cherry and cost about $6 for enough wood for two necks.

This is definitely my tightest build yet. I'm happy.

Next I'm gonna have to figure out this binding thing.

Matt Clara Ukulele Build 0003: Cherry a nd sycamore with wenge bridge/fretboard Matt Clara Ukulele Build 0003: Cherry a nd sycamore with wenge bridge/fretboard Matt Clara Ukulele Build 0003: Cherry a nd sycamore with wenge bridge/fretboard Matt Clara Ukulele Build 0003: Cherry a nd sycamore with wenge bridge/fretboard

Last edited:
Beautiful work, and a lovely design. I'm not surprised you are happy!

John Colter.

Beautiful. I like your headstock design.
How does sycamore compare to mahogany?

Great work, Matt. I love the headstock and fret board. I'd be pleased-as-punch with a build that looked like that too.

Nice work. Is it a deeper body than normal or just the photo?
Nothing better than building with wood you got for a few bucks

That looks terrific. How's it going with your hand? It sure doesn't seem to be affecting your build.

Next I'm gonna have to figure out this binding thing.
The binding thing ain't too bad..after two years of building over 50 Sopranos without binding, I finally had a go on the prototype Tenor I'm making..Cutting the slot with my new "TV bracket balancing arm router" went great no problems...I decided to go for a simple rosewood binding...I made my own bindings and I bent them on a hot gas pipe...I used the CA glue and activator method to fix them..the main problem I had was that I kept gluing my fingers to the uke (at one point I had to reach out for the nearest sharp blade ( an 1/2" chisel) and slice away under my finger tip to release it.. i left a small sliver of skin on the binding that had to be sanded off....but in the end it turned out to be quite a good method...I was very happy with the result.

By the way Matt..I like the design of the uke..the head reminds me of a harpoon...with those barbs.

Last edited:
The whole uke is beautiful, Matt - but that last picture...wow, that neck is beautiful! Great job!

BobN said:
How does sycamore compare to mahogany?
I've never worked with mahogany, so I couldn't say. The sycamore was a dream to work with compared to the cherry, but I believe cherry is harder and denser than mahogany or sycamore, though probably not by much (and it undoubtedly varies from sample to sample).

Skrik said:
Pull your finger out, Matt! (Sorry -- I'll get me coat.)
Too soon dude, too soon... ;)

two dogs plucking said:
Any pics of the inside?
None! Didn't even think of it this time. Like last time, I made my bracing very light, unlike last time, I used spruce for the bracing and some old growth fir for the tone bars. No bridge patch, but the bridge has all three tone bars passing under it.

ksquine said:
Nice work. Is it a deeper body than normal or just the photo?
I lined up my three ukes next to my koaloha concert and determined that I build massive ukes. This one's not as deep as my other two, but yeah, it's kinda deep. I need to angle my sides so my lower bouts are deeper than my upper bouts. Next time.

ksquine said:
Nothing better than building with wood you got for a few bucks
You may have heard me mention I live near a small lumber mill with a nice store front full of wood and Rockler products. I see a padauk back and side set go for $40+ on ebay, and then go to the mill and see a plank of quarter sawn superior figure african padauk for $44 (1 7/8" x 8" x 38"). Enough wood for 5-7 ukes. I might end up selling some of mine just because I don't want to make 7 padauk ukes right now! ;)

sukie said:
How's it going with your hand? It sure doesn't seem to be affecting your build.
Whaddaya mean, it took me three weeks to make this uke, instead of two ;) My finger needs another suregery. I've been trying not to think about it, honestly. It's just a set back, I keep telling myself. Thanks for asking.

cornfedgroove said:
I gotta quit bothering with cigar boxes and give this thing a whirl.
Yes you do. Bending sides is the most fun ever. (Ok, maybe not the most ever, but it's enjoyable.) And you don't have to give up CBUs, I gave one to my cousin Jack for his b-day two weekends ago, and I'm starting in on four more right now, with the tree design (or something) to sell on ebay, to pay off my credit card, so my wife will let me buy the cnc machine.

Thanks to everyone else's comments and encouragement. Timbuck, what are the odds a knuckle dragger like myself could make one of your TV stand binding cutter setups, and then not damage digits with the finished product? I'm close to buying the stewmac setup, but it's a lot of money for such a limited device. I realize I could probably hand route my flat tops with my laminate trimmer, but I won't be making flattops forever, and given my effed up finger, I'd rather not try it by hand, in any case.

(And the "harpoon" was a new one, though I can definitely see it. I've heard pine tree, fish, pagoda, and now harpoon. It's in the eye of the beholder, I guess.)

Too soon dude, too soon... ;)

Yeah, I'm sorry. I nearly cut my left little finger off with a bread knife(!), 10 years ago (worst argument I've ever had, blackout, and the next thing I remember is lots of blood), and had to have it repaired and then in traction for 10 weeks. It was months before I could face a bread knife without a chill running down my spine.

Outstanding! I love the head stock and the way the grain lines in the veneer look against the curve cut in the side. Also the treatment of the fretboard end is a nice touch. The only thing I don't like is the 14th fret position marker against the single marker for the 12th fret.

What is the finish?

-darrel

Outstanding! I love the head stock and the way the grain lines in the veneer look against the curve cut in the side. Also the treatment of the fretboard end is a nice touch. The only thing I don't like is the 14th fret position marker against the single marker for the 12th fret.

What is the finish?

-darrel

Thanks. Is there supposed to be more than one on the 12th? Deft nitrocellulose lacquer aerosol cans. About a can per uke.

Top Bottom