Any players that DON'T like Jake Shimabukuro's music?

happyslappysoong

Reaction score
Hi all.

I was just cruising around a bass forum and saw a thread about how so many bass players don't like Jaco Pastorius (he's the jazz Hendrix of bass, for all of you who don't know your bass gods).

And it got me curious...are there any Uke players who actually AREN'T a fan of Jake S' music?

I personally love it, but i'd be curious to see if there are people who dislike it and why.

Have an awesome day! :p

jake plays somuch music, between flamenco and blues, It not to like at least one of his peices.

While I appreciate his technical and musical skills, I couldn't listen to more than 2 songs without being bored out of my mind. Instrumentals just aren't my thing.

Not just Jake. I too like some vocals thrown in the mix.

James Hill has added a significant amount of vocals to his shows.

I'm with Deach. I think he is technically brilliant and incredibly creative. However, aside from a few songs, he just doesn't do it for me. To me, a lot of his music sounds like what you hear in an elevator or dentist's office. Other times, I feel like his music is too "guitarish". Although, let me reiterate that I still think he is an immense talent and has done wonders for the ukulele.

Like Deach, I certainly appreciate Jake's music, but it's not my style, either. I have three of Jake's CDs on my iPod, amongst others, but recently I find that I'm skipping over his music almost without fail on shuffle play....

I like Jake's guitaristic approach to the ukulele. I have absolutely no inclination to do anything "traditional" with my ukulele. There are no rules. Jake makes his own rules because he can, which is the prerogative of all musicians. My own personal inclination is to treat it like a banjotarimandolele, which is probably more guitar-like than many traditionalists would want. . .

I'm not giving up the re entrant tuning for anything. :D :D

I'm with the others above, mostly. I think he's an amazing player, but a lot of his music isn't to my taste. I like his solo stuff a lot more than the band stuff. The band pieces sound like generic jazz fusion to me, and that has never been a style I can listen to much, no matter who is playing it. He has killer chops though, don't get me wrong. And his youtube video of "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" is pretty much what launched me into this ukulele insanity.

I'm impressed with his skill. His music isn't what I'd choose to listen to, but it's impressive on a technical level.

His record company/producers/etc. are definitely pushing him in the "easy listening" direction sometimes, but he's a lot more enjoyable to see live. A lot of the energy and feeling is lost on the recordings. I usually can't stand super-technical musicians (especially after seeing a certain boring, pretentious douche whose initials are Y.M.) but Jake's playing has a lot more emotion than your average virtuoso shredder. I dig Jake, but I can understand why some folks are turned off by the musical style.

Last edited:
I listen to his live CD with some degree of frequency, but I rarely (if ever) listen to him with a backup band. Whoever made the "elevator music" made me smile... I'm slowly developing an appreciation for Hawaiian music, but it's been hard for me to find Hawaiian music that *doesn't* have an elevator music feel to it.

I realized when listening to his live cd, though, that his songs tend to be a bit formulaic... the melodies are all original, and he uses plenty of interesting techniques and shakes it up that way, but most songs begin with some light picking and move into heavy strumming and then into REALLY heavy strumming... kind of like sex...

Oh wait, I didn't just type that.

(edit)- Also, as a bass player of 11 or 12 years now, I've got to say that I still don't really "get" Jaco. Maybe it's just that he hasn't influenced me the same way that Flea or Victor Wooten has influenced me.

I think the way Jake Shimabukuro plays is interesting, but he aint no Jaco Pastorius. I mean, Jaco was a God.

JacoPastoriusJacoPastoriu223_f.jpg

Instrumental. Progressive. Guitarish. Breaks the rules. I like it. I think it pushes the boundaries of what the ukulele can do and changes the way people look at the instrument.

To each their own.

I have not listened to Jake. I am not interested in the technical approach to music, but I am impressed by the skill.

Hi all.

I was just cruising around a bass forum and saw a thread about how so many bass players don't like Jaco Pastorius (he's the jazz Hendrix of bass, for all of you who don't know your bass gods).

And it got me curious...are there any Uke players who actually AREN'T a fan of Jake S' music?

I personally love it, but i'd be curious to see if there are people who dislike it and why.

Have an awesome day! :p

First, my apologies. I know the beginning of my post is off topic for Uke Talk, but here goes.

Jaco is one of 4 bassists in the Down Beat Jazz Hall of Fame. Charles Mingus, Milt Hinton and Ray Brown are the other 3 and Jaco is the only electric bassist.

Miles Davis, Victor Wooten, Pat Metheny, John McLaughlin and Bela Fleck have paid tribute to him in their recordings. Take a few minutes to listen to his work with Joni Mitchell and Pat Metheny to catch a glimpse of sheer brilliance. I'm listening to some right now. Thanks for bringing up the subject. I'm 50 and it's taken me this long to even begin to understand and appreiciate a giant like Jaco Pastorius and I'm not even a bass player.

I purchased Jake's Live recording when it was released and it took quite a few listenings for it to grow on me. I too have trouble listening to more than two or three instrumental tunes on solo ukulele. I actually just put "Live" back in my car a few days ago. Great disc.
Regards,
Ray

Jake is absolutely the greatest technician of our time. But, as others stated previously, after a while he loses me. I much prefer Brittni Paiva. She's got soul. Her music moves me.

I've only been into the uke for a couple of months and I don't listen to a lot of albums preferring to play my own music but my first experience with uke playing that wowed me was James Hill. I kept reading here in UU Jake this, Jake that, Oh jake is great, he's the best etc. So I googled him and gave him a listen. Well...he's pretty good I guess...I still like James Hill much better as a total package entertainer so.....sue me.

I've been a bass player for 30 years and I only really listened to Jaco for the first time a few years ago. I don't like all of his stuff, but I REALLY like his stuff with Joni Mitchell. His style is nothing like anything I play (although a jazz/funk band I was in did his version of "Chicken" and I tried to copy his feel at least). But he really busted down the traditional role of bass in the same way Jake has with ukulele. Of course, Jaco wasn't the only bassist to do that. Paul McCartney, John Entwistle, Chris Squire, Jack Bruce, etc etc etc...

like mah samoan breh wud say,"DOGG,NO LIE.....HE SUCKS".haha.its a lil too much for my taste bro.hey,then again,u askd me if i liked the guy.haha

My music will go on forever.Maybe its a fool say that, but when me know facts me can say facts. MY MUSIC WILL GO ON FOREVER". -BOB MARLEY

Top Bottom