Mi-Si and phantom power, a problem?

uke5417

Reaction score
Just had a Mi-Si Acoustic Trio pickup put in my tenor and, while I know it doesn't need external power, I wonder if it could be damaged if it got some. I sometimes use my H4N as the audio interface to my computer and hook into the H4N an additional outboard mic that needs phantom power. But when the H4n delivers phantom power, it (24 or 48v)goes to both inputs. If I plug the tenor into one H4N input and the mic into the other... well, you get the picture. (I know I can just mic the uke or use a dynamic mic as the outboard, eliminating the need for phantom, but I was curious.)

Interesting... Just a guess on my part, but I think that since the MISI takes 110v direct to charge the capacitor anyway, you should be fine. It looks like they use a system much like phantom to charge the thing up.

DO NOT take my word for it though - drop the misi folks a line. Although I think I understand the basics of how it's built, I admit I know next to nothing about the details of phantom and how it's delivered (amps, poles used on the plug, ect...). MiSi can set you on the right path.

Top Bottom