Bb flat chord

GreatGazukes

Reaction score
I was reading a thread and the question of the difficulty of the Bb chord raised its head so I thought I'd share my technique of hitting it, and hope it is of benefit for others. Took me ages to find a way of playing it, as I thought I could only hit it using 4 fingers. Finally I discovered that if I used my index finger on the E sting then my ring finger on the C string and my pinky on the G string and swivelled my wrist around hard it brings the the rest of my index finger down on the A string with the middle finger sort of pressing down on (or hovering over the) top of the index finger. It took a while for the brain not to use the middle finger on a string, and I had to concsiously think of the middle finger not being used, or rather the using just the index, ring and pinky fingers. Then switch from F chord to Bb chord for practicing. Its the swivelling of the wrist that also helps lift the hand up so the pinky is in a good position for the G string

Maybe if you have another technique, you may wish to share with us?

Cheers

I hold E and A with my index finger, C with my middle and G with my ring finger. That leaves the pinky free to create add9 chords by dropping it onto the A string (3rd fret). One thing I might suggest is learning the first bar C (same shape as the Bb, just slid up two frets) as it is easier to fret as you get away from that nut, especially on ukes that have high action. Once you get the hang of it, you can slide the shape back down for that Bb.

I'm still at a level where Bb is kinda difficult to play -or to switch to it quickly.
First I've tried the 4 fingers method, but it didn't sound right :I have a soprano and there ain't any space left on the fret.
With the normal method, the biggest problem is the A string not being held properly with the index finger, but then I have discovered that if I push a little bit harder with my thumb against the back of the fret-board the index is somehow forced to cover A and E strings.
Still practicing, but for now this is how I do it :)
On a side note, don't put to much pressure with your thumb 'cos I kinda' cut my index skin on my strings (programmer hands, okay?).

I just bar the first fret with my index finger, then middle finger on the C string, second fret, and ring finger on the G string, third fret. This gives me freedom to switch to Bbm (i.e. lift the middle finger), move to B (i.e. move the chord shape down one fret) and on to other barred chords like a 2225 D or 4447 E....

I just bar the first fret with my index finger, then middle finger on the C string, second fret, and ring finger on the G string, third fret. This gives me freedom to switch to Bbm (i.e. lift the middle finger), move to B (i.e. move the chord shape down one fret) and on to other barred chords like a 2225 D or 4447 E....

I bar the first fret as well. I cannot get my index finger to bend in such a way that I can comfortably get the two other frets with my middle and ring fingers. I have been doing it so long that it is like any other chord anymore.

My preferred method as well. One of the things many beginners do is hold the uke in a manner where they can see the fret board.
Having the uke in this position makes the Bb extra hard. Pratice holding the uke so the fret board and top are perpendicular to the floor,
you will find this puts your wrist in a better position for many chords.
Also, make sure you get your thumb on the back of the neck, sometimes we wrap our thumbs around the neck.

It's interesting, because the Bb chord shape on the ukulele is the F chord shape on the guitar. I struggled for years to play that F to my satisfaction, & now, even though I've only been playing ukulele a short time, I find it much easier on the uke! But I can still see how it could be difficult for newcomers. I play it the same way I learned on guitar, same as uke5417, index finger barring just the A & the E, middle finger on the C & ring finger on the G. Sometimes I will bar the whole 1st fret--makes it slightly easier to switch to an Fm if need be (just flip the bird).

If I'm in F--which is pretty much the only time I'll wind up playing a Bb chord--then I'll usually just play a Bb(add9) instead. 3213. Much easier, IMHO, and it sounds cool.

JJ

If I'm in F--which is pretty much the only time I'll wind up playing a Bb chord--then I'll usually just play a Bb(add9) instead. 3213. Much easier, IMHO, and it sounds cool.

JJ

I also use a different position of Bb(add9) when it fits: 5565

Please excuse my ignorance but can somebody explain what is meant by 5565 or 5167. Im very new to string instruments and think i understand basic tabs structure, eg C is fingered using finger 3/ 0003, G7 chord is fingered using 1st 2nd and 3rd fingers/ 0213, but i dont get these high numbers you 5565 etc how does this correspond to finger placement?

If it needs a long explanation just say and i'll look in the sticky: music theory for noobs.

Please excuse my ignorance but can somebody explain what is meant by 5565 or 5167. Im very new to string instruments and think i understand basic tabs structure, eg C is fingered using finger 3/ 0003, G7 chord is fingered using 1st 2nd and 3rd fingers/ 0213, but i dont get these high numbers you 5565 etc how does this correspond to finger placement?

If it needs a long explanation just say and i'll look in the sticky: music theory for noobs.

Those numbers don't necessarily indicate which fingers you use. They represent which fret you hold down on each string. The four numbers from left to right represent the G, C, E and A strings.

A basic C chord (0003) means the G, C, and E strings are open (000), and you hold down the third fret of the A string (3).

So a Bb(add9) listed as 5565 would mean that you bar the fifth fret, and also hold down the sixth fret of the E string.

You may have been confused when you see an actual chord diagram (a grid with dots on some of the strings), with numbers - in that case, the numbers refer to your fingers. But when you just see a set of 4 numbers and no chord diagram, it's referring to which frets to hold down, and you're on your own to decide which fingers to use.

Last edited:
I hold E and A with my index finger, C with my middle and G with my ring finger.

I do it like that too.
It could be a bit tricky for a beginner, but nothing that cannot be overcome with practice. It is now one of the easiest chords.
I find that finger position the most regularly used. You can use that "Bb" chord up in higher frets for high-chords.

I also do the "Bb" chord up in the 7th fret as an alternative to the annnooyinnng E chord lol.

I do it like that too.
It could be a bit tricky for a beginner, but nothing that cannot be overcome with practice. It is now one of the easiest chords.
I find that finger position the most regularly used. You can use that "Bb" chord up in higher frets for high-chords.

I also do the "Bb" chord up in the 7th fret as an alternative to the annnooyinnng E chord lol.

Yeah, that annoying E chord is the annoying B chord on guitar. I almost always find different ways to do that chord, such as, on ukulele, use an E7 or slide the D chord up 2 frets & don't strum the 1st string.

numbers are fret positions. 5565 is a barre on 5th fret and one finger on the 6th fret

I'm a four-finger Bb guy. It is far from being the most efficient method of making the chord, but I have big difficulty hitting other strings when barring. It takes some quick action to set four fingers, so I plan for it before playing the song.

Point is, if you can pull it off, it doesn't matter. Hmmm... 3213, eh?

I hold E and A with my index finger, C with my middle and G with my ring finger. That leaves the pinky free to create add9 chords by dropping it onto the A string (3rd fret). One thing I might suggest is learning the first bar C (same shape as the Bb, just slid up two frets) as it is easier to fret as you get away from that nut, especially on ukes that have high action. Once you get the hang of it, you can slide the shape back down for that Bb.

That is what I do as well.

Good to know these are the frets, I thought they were the address of someone who knew how to play the chords :cool:

I use the index finger on E & A, the middle finger on the C, and the ring finger on the G. This is the way I learned it when I was learning guitar 45 years ago. It was tough to learn, but worth it.

The thing that was the key for me was learning to "roll" my index finger over to hold both the E and A strings. Imagine moving your elbow toward the back of the uke until your fingernail tilts toward the peghead. I end up fretting the E and A with the side of my index finger, and it's MUCH easier for me.

I hope that I described that well enough to be of some use to someone....

It's interesting, because the Bb chord shape on the ukulele is the F chord shape on the guitar.
If you are a guitarist, you have gone through that 'can't play the **** F chord'. When you switch to the ukulele you find it easier than on the guitar.
Penster

Top Bottom