Warped/twisted neck...any fix?

ukulelearp

Reaction score
Sorry, I'm no luthier. I just figured if anyone knew how to fix this it'd be you all. My KPK Tenor's neck is apparently warped. The C string first fret has a bad buzz and 2-5 have a slight buzz. The G string isn't much better but it's less noticeable. A guitar tech who looked at it said I'd probably have to exchange it, which i can't do. He said there's nothing he can do considering the lack of a truss rod. Any ideas?

Well, if the neck is twisted, a truss rod isn't going to help.

I'm no luthier either but a cheap possible fix is to raise the action to see if that improves things.

It may also be possible to re-dress the frets to get rid of the buzz if the twist is not very severe. That's going to cost a bit.

Try to get a uke guy to look at if you can. Or wait and see what some of the qualified members might suggest before you do anything.

Hi Alex 534

Sorry to hear about your problem. Sounds indeed you have a warped neck. Probably good to get a second opinion but your repairguy is probably right.

The problem is it can be fixed (at a cost) but if the wood wasn't seasoned right or had an inherent warping tendency, in a few years, you will have a similar problem.

Are you the original owner? It's worth contacting the maker and see what they can do for you.

A proper fix will be to remove the fingerboard and plane the neck and then reglue the fingerboard back on. I *think* you're looking at $200. Some neck can be rescued by heating the neck while clamping ($100?). Dressing frets may or may not be enough to correct for a warped neck...... You could get a new neck installed ($300 - ?). Nothing is cheap. Or, you can do nothing, and save the money towards a new "dream" ukulele (and keep the old one as a spare).

Cheers
Chief

Is it warped, twisted or bowed? I get the impression that it has a back bow in it which a truss rod may be able to resolve if it had one depending on the amount of bow. If that is the case, you may be able to remove the board and install a CF rod to act as a stiffener. The key is to be able to keep it clamped straight while you do the work. If its twisted then it's probably a lost cause and will require a new neck.

Thanks guys. I put an older saddle in to raise it and the buzz is barely noticeable, but it's less comfortable to play. Considering the money I paid I don't think any of those options are worth it, unfortunately. Thanks a bunch though.

Top Bottom