Moore Bettah Meltdown

Moore Bettah Ukuleles

Reaction score
I lost the hard drive on my computer today and haven't backed up my files as often as I should have. As a result I've lost the majority of my building list for this year. I have been able to reconstruct most of it as best as I can but I am sure there are some that I have missed.
If by chance you are on my building list for this year and you have not heard from me yet could you please email me?
Mahalo, Chuck
moorebettahukuleles@aol.com

I'm on there, Already paid and everything, yeah..... not really but it was worth a shot.

Chuck, there are services that will reconstruct your hard drive as much as possible in order to save your data. I'm not sure how much of the information you lost is irreplaceable. Here is a link to one provider after a quick google search"

http://www.diskdatarecovery.net/

Data recovery is very expensive, and it really depends how the hard drive failed if anything can be saved.

The freezer trick has worked for me in the past. Make sure you leave the side off when you put the drive back in though, and it only worked about 5 mins the first time and 15 the second (the second time I turned the computer on in my shed when it was 30 outside.

Good luck

I'm on there, Already paid and everything, yeah..... not really but it was worth a shot.

DANG!!! Beat me to it.

Good luck sorting things out. For your customers' sakes, hope it all works out.

As an aside: Chuck, did you know that some pink flamingoes are really orange? Do they make orange inlay? How about coral? wink-wink.

Really sorry to hear that, Chuck. I hope you're able to recover or reconstruct your data quickly!
Best wishes,
Mika

Data recovery is very expensive, and it really depends how the hard drive failed if anything can be saved.

The freezer trick has worked for me in the past. Make sure you leave the side off when you put the drive back in though, and it only worked about 5 mins the first time and 15 the second (the second time I turned the computer on in my shed when it was 30 outside.

Good luck
I have tried the freezer trick also and it worked for about 10 mins. Just be sure to have another drive in place and formatted before you turn the power back on.

If you have a big enough freezer try running the computer in the freezer with the monitor and key board on the outside. It might give you the time you need to get the info you want.

it seems that he said he literally lost his hard drive... like physically not data wise. good luck on gettin everything sorted out!

Thanks all for your advice and concern.
Working and living off-grid poses a whole different set of problems that those with "real" electricity have a hard time believing. Even though I am supposed to be generating power with a true sine wave there are lots off "dirty" things happening and using the generator occasionally also causes trouble. It's all bad news for sensitive electronics like computers. I've gotten pretty used to the situation, this being the third computer I've lost in the last seven years. But it's not all bad news. Although I lost the majority of my building list, all of my inlay art and ukulele building data should be on my portable data storage. I'll find out when my new Macbook Pro comes tomorrow. I need a break anyway.
The real good news is that while clearing room in the freezer (didn't work BTW) I discovered a brand new quart of Baskin Robbins pralines and cream ice cream I'd forgotten about. That's the silver lining they talk about that's behind every gray cloud.

Aloha Chuck,

Sorry I didn't check in earlier. Besides being a mediocre uke strummer, I am an IT professional and have been for 25 years. I'm just over here on the other side of the island. "Data recovery is my thing, baby"... If there is anything recoverable from your system. I can get it for you. Probably in about as much time as it would take you to eat the ice cream. Send me an IM...

nice find. Eleuke while you're talking to Mr. Moore get him to buy a UPS (uninterruptable Power supply = basically a big battery) to smooth over the "not so pure sine waves" The right brand will smooth out any electronic issues.

BTW, I've often thought it would be cool to go "off grid". Has it worked for you? Was it a huge change?

nice find. Eleuke while you're talking to Mr. Moore get him to buy a UPS (uninterruptable Power supply = basically a big battery) to smooth over the "not so pure sine waves" The right brand will smooth out any electronic issues.

BTW, I've often thought it would be cool to go "off grid". Has it worked for you? Was it a huge change?

Ditto. You can get a decent UPS for <$100. It will save you a lot of trouble in the end...

Also, as an IT professional I feel the need to say: this is why it is really, really important to back up your data. Especially in a situation where power spikes have killed multiple systems.

Just saying...:deadhorse:

my buddy's a digital forensic nerd...I dont know what kind of time he has but he's got all kinds of fancy gov't equipment to do just exactly what you're talking about. He works in an secluded, unmarked and unadvertised keycoded section of a larger public building....sssh. So if you get really stuck, and no other options pan out for you, he can do it for you. He's a music lover

I thought having laptops would eliminate any power supply issues, being that they run on DC. The problems could also be the environment in which I keep my computer. Macs are pretty well sealed against such things but I'm dealing with salt air and quite a bit of wood dust.

Chuck,

Wow!

A little off topic but...

How are you generating your power, and how many watts and amps does your setup produce on average?

MR. Moore, Both Laptops and Desktops have a built in "power supply" that regulates the flow(desktops = inside, laptops = on the power cord), however they are far from perfect and actually quite fragile to electrical surges, as you well know by now. The UPS will fix this. Basically it stores an amount of energy and releases it at a given rate, smoothly and without the spikes.

How they will help is one: smoothing over spikes, and two if the power goes out you have a certain amount of energy stored up that is still being released so that you can save your data and shut off the computer to avoid any loss in data. For example the one at my work allow the computers to run for 45 minutes with no power.

As for the wood dust, a small dirt devil to the air vents on a regular basis should be enough, If you use mac's or laptop then you can't open them, but if you use a desktop PC then you can open the case and get some of the dust from inside the box.

As for the salt water, I don't know.

Top Bottom