Is it possible to dye the White Binding on the top and bottom of a Ukulele?

molinee

Reaction score
I am not a big fan of ukulele binding on the face and back... And I especially don't like the white color. Has anyone tried to dye or stain a white binding and what were the results. Even if I could change the bright white to a lesser white might work... TIA

Not sure, but I think most of it, maybe except on the very high end stuff is types of plastic, so it might not take very well to any sort of dyes. Maybe mask it off and paint it with a good plastic paint? Still might not stay though. Some of the higher end instruments the binding is pearl, or exotic woods, if it is a wood, you would have to take the finish off because it would be sealed.. Might be allot of work IMHO, and would be cheaper and less trouble just to go buy a Uke that doesn't have a white binding.. Mine is a solid Mahogany, and the binding is a little darker than the wood. It is some sort of wood too, but not sure what. It's almost black. But my "throw down" Uke has a white plastic binding.

How about a brown Sharpie?

Mine is a solid Mahogany, and the binding is a little darker than the wood. It is some sort of wood too, but not sure what. It's almost black.

It's probably rosewood, that's what's binding my mahogany as well.

How about a brown Sharpie?

I was wondering about sharpies on a gloss finish myself, will it stay there or will it slowly rub off over time? (I ask because I have a signature that I'm not sure if I want to attempt to preserve or not)

Top Bottom