Waiting for UPS is a drag... (KoAloha Tenor)

ghostrdr

Reaction score
Well, I pulled the trigger and decided to get a tenor (despite my better judgment and shrinking pocketbook).

I was really torn between getting a KoAloha or a Kamaka Tenor. What finally pushed me over to one side of the fence was the terrific customer service I got from KoAloha regarding the tuners on my KoAloha concert, MGM's recommendation, and my own person review of a Kamaka and KoAloha soprano. The Kamaka had a very traditional, somewhat muted sound and the KoAloha just had a little more "pop" to it.

So, two days ago, I called MGM. He posted some pictures of a KoAloha Tenor that had really odd/interesting looking pictures. The coloring on the uke from the pictures was a dark brown. Really different than the almost orange/reddish color on my concert. I called and he said that was the last tenor he had. Michael also said that the picture colors were not quite right and the actual uke was a orangish red.

I went ahead and ordered it. The UPS guy was supposed to come to my house today between 9 a.m. and 7 p.m. That's a huge window of time. I waited and waited and waited.

Finally at about 2:45 p.m., it arrived. Here are some pictures of the new tenor...

Attachments

• IMG_1353..jpg
    IMG_1353..jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_1354..jpg
    IMG_1354..jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_1355..jpg
    IMG_1355..jpg
    41 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_1357..jpg
    IMG_1357..jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 25
Here are the rest of the pictures.

The Low-G is going to take some getting used to. It has a very nice sound. Not quite as loud as my concert, but much deeper. I think as the uke ages, it will probably open up a bit. (I'm hoping).

BTW, let me know what you think of the pictures. Personally, I'm in love...

Attachments

• IMG_1367..jpg
    IMG_1367..jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_1369..jpg
    IMG_1369..jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_1368..jpg
    IMG_1368..jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 62
I agree with what you say about the tone of the Kamaka vs the KoAloha. I wouldn't quite call the Kamaka "muted", but it does not have that flash that the KoAloha tenor has. My KoAloha Tenor also has some cool wavy grain patterns like yours. I don't know where they get their wood from, but I think some of that wavy pattern is cool. Great choice on the ukulele, and yes, CS from KoAloha is very, very good.

Just received the twin to yours yesterday from MGM. I hear what your saying.

Hey, I've got the twin to it too. It looks like my top and yours were cut from the same board.

Jude

Dang, that is a beauty! Congratulations.

Enjoy the heck out of it! It's beautiful. I love the stripe down the middle.

Kamakas are really nice too; they just come with dead-sounding strings. :(

Wow! For a while it seemed like Kamaka had much better grain that KoAloha but the recent KoAlohas seem much better than the Kamaka runs. Your uke is a beauty!

Well, I pulled the trigger and decided to get a tenor (despite my better judgment and shrinking pocketbook).

I was really torn between getting a KoAloha or a Kamaka Tenor. What finally pushed me over to one side of the fence was the terrific customer service I got from KoAloha regarding the tuners on my KoAloha concert, MGM's recommendation, and my own person review of a Kamaka and KoAloha soprano. The Kamaka had a very traditional, somewhat muted sound and the KoAloha just had a little more "pop" to it.

So, two days ago, I called MGM. He posted some pictures of a KoAloha Tenor that had really odd/interesting looking pictures. The coloring on the uke from the pictures was a dark brown. Really different than the almost orange/reddish color on my concert. I called and he said that was the last tenor he had. Michael also said that the picture colors were not quite right and the actual uke was a orangish red.

I went ahead and ordered it. The UPS guy was supposed to come to my house today between 9 a.m. and 7 p.m. That's a huge window of time. I waited and waited and waited.

Finally at about 2:45 p.m., it arrived. Here are some pictures of the new tenor...

I'm surprised the pictures didn't turn out blurry from your quivering with anticipation. :drool: These pics are like a strip-tease, like you know?

--Dave

Hey, I've got the twin to it too. It looks like my top and yours were cut from the same board.

Jude

Hmmm. I'd be interested to know how many ukes they can squeeze out of a board. Triplets, eh? However they do it, those KoAloha guys sure do an excellent job book matching the pieces to give it a sort of symmetry. Very beautiful, indeed.

(And yes, I was trying to capture the anticipation of opening the box and unpacking it piece by piece).

Top Bottom