Music theory help

Caz808

Reaction score
HowZ it UU here is my problem i wanna be able to know wat key a song is played in jus by knowing the chords . I dont kno if that is possible . I have looked on some web sites but the ones i saw all refered to getting the key fromn the sheet music i do not read music tho and i would like to be able to jus freestyle pic when playin with random ppl on the beach but if i dont know the key i dont kno wat scale to use if that makes any kind of sence well if anyone knows a good web site or can explain to me it help a lot
MAHALO
CAZ

The short answer is yes. Depending on the type of music, it can even be easy.

The easiest way is major chords. Major chords are on the 1st, 4th and 5th note of a major key.

So, if you have the chords C, D, and G, you arrange them so they go in 1-4-5 order. The easiest way to do that is to spot the two chords which are next to each other; in this case, C & D. They will almost always be 4 and 5. So then, G is 1. G=1, A=2, B=3, C=4, D=5. If that makes sense, counting in the musical alphabet, ABCDEFGABCDEFG etc.

If that's confusing, here are some common ukulele keys with their 1,4,5s:

C: C, F, G
G: G, C, D
F: F, Bb, C
D: D, G, A
A: A, D, E
Bb: Bb, Eb, F

Hope that helps.

Minor keys are trickier and/or simpler, depending, and I can cover that if you like. And if this has made no sense, let me know.

yeah like pulelehua said for your basic 3 chord progression, the 6th will be your relative minor so if you are in C the 6th will be A but it will be a minor chord based upon the notes of the scale of C A Minor shares the same key signature no sharps or flats, this can often be a good chord to use with your basic primary chords 1 4 and 5.

minor keys are that much different when looking at the primary chords I, IV and V, except I is minor chord but IV and V will both be major but chord V will only be major due to the raised 7th note of the harmonic minor scale

although most songs have the chord 1 4 5 progression in it, this is not always the case, its like painting, you dont just use red yello and blue you want to add other colors and shades and there the primary chords in music are like the primary colors in painting, you want to give your music shade and tone, so a song might not always follow that 1 4 5 progression i guess i am trying to say, if you are jamming with someone no harm in asking what key you are in and what progressions they are using, most likely it will be just basic chord progression.

not sure i helped any.

Right--especially in pop, rock, blues, & related genres, the main chords will be the 1(I), 4(IV), & 5(IV). Only slightly less common is the 6(vi) which will be a minor chord. So, in C, the main chords will be C(I), F(IV), G(V), & Am(vi).

Also, if you know what chord the song ends with, 9.99 x's out of 10 that will be the key of the song. If you know what chord the song begins with, the likelihood that that is the key of the song is probably more like 75-85%.

Also, if you know what chord the song ends with, 9.99 x's out of 10 that will be the key of the song. If you know what chord the song begins with, the likelihood that that is the key of the song is probably more like 75-85%.

Ignoring Redemption Song, This Land is Your Land, Mr Tambourine Man and a few others. But yes. Absolutely. Spot the first chord, you're on to a winner.

Oh, and not to get nit-picky, but the 4 chord in a minor key is minor, not major.

(Wish I weren't so anal.)

Top Bottom