Baby Taylor Bolted Neck?

JackT

Reaction score
I've been wanting a nice little travel guitar so I went down to my local guitar shop yesterday, just to check things out, after spending a few hours jamming out on this http://www.guitarsatbmusic.com.au/esp/guitars/espstd/eclipse/hires/eclipse-i_ctm_fr.jpg the Baby Taylor caught my eye and I was pretty impressed by it considering its size. Although I was wondering if anyone has heard of any problems with the neck, seeing as the way its fixed to the body is quite different for an acoustic

Last edited:
thanks for the reply, takes alot off my mind.

ahhh i had one of those and the neck cracked pretty majorly by the headstock after my clumsy roommate knocked it over one too many times a couple summers ago. i was so sad, it was such a great little guitar! :(

there seems to be a big debate over which is better... taylor or martin. and usually people are really loyal to whatever brand they started with. as a taylor owner, i will be the first to say you should check out the martin in the same size. it sounds much better, the construction seems to be better, and its CHEAPER.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Martin-LXM-Little-Martin-Acoustic-Guitar?sku=515880

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Martin-LXM-Java-Mahogany-Little-Acoustic-wbag?sku=517698

i would still want to play the actually one before buying though. so if your local shop carries them, check em out. i was all about those baby taylors for a while, then i picked up one of these and was pleasantly surprised... and then i looked at the price and was even more impressed.

I play a big baby and its a fine guitar, I personally like the Taylors over the martins on the low side of things say sub 1.5K

Taylor vs Martin is a matter of taste. IMHO, Taylors tend to be brighter and a bit more balanced. Lots of folks seem to like the Baby Taylor as a travel guitar. I was considering getting one but steel strings damage my right-hand nails.

I haven't heard of any problems with the bolt-on necks of the Baby Taylor. Other manufacturers also use variations of the bolt-on neck and I think the design works very well.

Man I missed all of these posts. Sorry XD ! I checked out the Martin, didn't really like it, the Baby Taylor was a bit to bright for me, so I upped it to a Big Baby, and it rocks, thanks for all the info on bolted necks guys!

there seems to be a big debate over which is better... taylor or martin. and usually people are really loyal to whatever brand they started with. as a taylor owner, i will be the first to say you should check out the martin in the same size. it sounds much better, the construction seems to be better, and its CHEAPER.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Martin-LXM-Little-Martin-Acoustic-Guitar?sku=515880

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Martin-LXM-Java-Mahogany-Little-Acoustic-wbag?sku=517698

i would still want to play the actually one before buying though. so if your local shop carries them, check em out. i was all about those baby taylors for a while, then i picked up one of these and was pleasantly surprised... and then i looked at the price and was even more impressed.

To me, the tonal difference between the Taylor and Martin is very significant. To me, the Martin has a muddier sound as compared to Taylor, which is brighter and you can hear every string & note ring out. I am compaing the higher end guitars ($4,000) not the lower end Baby, 100, and 200 series. I have the 814CE.

I wouldn't debate which is better. Tone wise - there are songs that sound better with the Martin & others with the Taylor. Clapton played a Martin on his acoustic album & you hear the muddier sound of the Martin, but the Taylor would not have sounded right on that album considering the darker tone of the album and Claptons deeper voice. Quality wise - I again wouldn't say one is better than the other (high end), they are manufactured differently, although Taylor uses some beautiful wood.

Last edited:
For addional piece of mind-my Baby M is about 10 years old, has wonderful tone and the neck connection is as solid as the day I bought it. I really prefer the tone to the spruce top Baby, but that's just me.

I think the Martin/Taylor debate is over done. Some prefer Martin; some Taylor. It is all about personal preference.

One other thing. I have traveled all over the country (including to Hawaii several times) with it and never have had an issue with carrying it on a plane.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
I have had a baby "T" almost from the time they were introduced. It makes a great travel guitar.
Some folks claim the baby "M" has a fuller sound. Martin made a great marketing move and sends the babys out with medium strings, Taylor uses lights.
The scale is so short mediums are easy to play. The baby "T" will take mediums, I have had mine strung for 5+ years with mediums.
When comparing "T" to "M" make sure they are strung the same.

Can't say enough good things about the Baby Taylor. Bought one for my step-daughter for Christmas. Picked up the Taylor Swift signature model. She loves her and the guitar, so step dad of the year honors. Great for kids and travel. I just like grabbing it and noodling around when I'm not uking.

Surprised by the balance and sound. I find it quite full, obviously with the caveat: for a small body. I have limited experience with the Baby Martin. I gave one as a gift to a friend's son so didn't play it too much. I certainly liked it in the store enough to buy it.

Both are great in the travel guitar category or as a great "go back to guitar" instrument from ukulele. I find playing my full size guitars quite the challenge some days... I feel so small.

As far as the Baby Taylor goes, it does sound a lot thinner than I like. The GS Mini, however, is a fantastic guitar. At $499, it costs a bit more, but it is worth the difference. In the Martin line, I prefer spruce-topped models to the HPL-topped models.

Top Bottom