Ohana long neck soprano question

didgeridoo2

Reaction score
Hey folks,

On a whim, I picked up the Ohana sk-30L since it was on sale at a local shop. Not sure if I need it, but it feels great and light. I picked up Koolau gold tenor strings since it's a tenor neck and I haven't ever tried them. I put the golds on and it feels like a nice high tension, which I don't mind. But now I'm worried it's too much tension and if I put the right strings on. Should I have gotten concert size, or is tenor the right call? This is my first experience with a long neck uke so I am learning. It is my first experience with friction tuners as well. Also, I have no experience with Koolau golds and maybe they're just higher tension. Lots of new stuff going on for me and I don't want to wreck a brand new uke.

Any help sure would be appreciated.

TIA

What is the scale length, measured from the nut to the saddle? This should dictate the strings used....

Compared to my tenors, it looks to be similar. I guess I should have compared earlier. So koolau golds are just a little higher tension? Not sure if I'm gonna like em. I may switch to Worth CTs before too long. I'll give em a shot.

The scale lengh should be the same as any standard tenor neck I would think... it says its a tenor scale. measure it up to check.

Ken Middleton is Mr Ohana (I'm not quite sure what his job role is, UK manager/distributer/rep/ohana-guru) so will prob be able to help you out with any queries you get, PM him.

I wouldn't worry about whether you should have gone for a concert, I think long neck soprano's are a great idea, The sweet sound and travel friendly size (obviously with a long neck though) and weight of a soprano but with a neck that allows more freedom on the scales for those who want it. Also Ohana make amazing quality ukes from my experience in intonation, tone, build quality and range (range of different woods, styles etc) so your in safe hands there.

Also MGM (Music Guy Mic) has recently done a LOAD of sound samples of different strings on youtube, theres a recent thread on here linking them... not sure if you've seen it but its really helpful if your looking at strings.

I also have the Ohana SK-30L and I love it! its one of my favorites. I got mine from MGM and i beleive that he put GHS Strings on them. Im not sure if they are tenor strings or not.

Top Bottom