First "official" uke performance!

StereoJoker

Reaction score
I just got back from a barbeque with a bunch of folks from my high school (I haven't seen many of them in three or four years, so it was pretty much like a micro-reunion of sorts). I brought my uke with me so I could be the "live entertainment" while everybody just did whatever, and apparently was a hit! I was pretty nervous, even though I had my printouts of songs and everything with me, but I managed to get through some classic "everybody-and-their-mom-knows-these" songs entirely (I also did my version of "Poker Face", which went over very well).

I got the typical "oh, so is that a toy guitar?" or "hey, are you gonna play Hawaiian music?" questions, but that was okay. What really surprised them was when I was messing around in between actual songs with blues improv -- that I lifted straight from Aldrine's "Uke Minutes" lessons. I don't think they expected that from the ukulele, so I was pretty pleased to enlighten them! :eek:

Anyway, I was only able to do that with all your help! I learned techniques I would have never been able to teach myself, I finally got some basic theory settled in my noggin, and I was able to find the perfect instrument with all your reviews and information-sharing. Without the Underground, I would never have taken that first step into performing. Now with that under my belt, maybe I'll finally be able to record something on video for the greater masses of the Internet. (Maybe.)

Thanks for everything, you guys! :shaka:

(PS: I may have converted some people, too. So awesome.)

Sounds like you did good. I've yet to have a chance to play in front of more than one or two friends, but I may have in the next few months.

My auntie and uncle are asking me to play in a wedding. o.0

Scary stuff.
Although I think playing in front of my parents is worse. :D

Top Bottom