Revelations

AC Baltimore

Reaction score
For years, I as a guitarist... and like many others, viewed the uke as a toy of sorts. After buying the OU5 on a whim and falling in love, I have learned that a good uke is anything but a toy. These are intricate and legitimate instruments. The strum patterns alone rival most standard guitar strumming.

There is a huge amount of artistry that comes from the music made with these little instruments. Nothing else in the world sounds like them and I would have a hard time believing anything could be as much fun to play.

A guy on a guitar form I go to was telling someone to get a uke for vacation because they are cute and a lot easier than guitar because there are only four strings. That is the stereotype I once carried, but now I know different.

Anywho, just thought I'd share.

Amen! Same story here, I bought my first year as a 'joke' for a guitar class I was student teaching in and the rest is ukulele history :)

Played guitar for most of my life...love the ukulele.

guitar for years

I was waiting on a repair and gave a Baritone uke a try. I am now mainly playing a Concert and have not picked up a guitar for months and don't plan to either.

I really love the uke

I've never played guitar, but a cousin who does visited me last week unannounced while I was messing around with my uke.

After a couple songs he said "If you can play that well why don't you just play a guitar?". I told him I'm still a beginner, but I believe it's a totally different instrument.

I then decided to show him a video of Jake playing My Guitar Gently Weeps.. thinking maybe he'd see what kind of potential the uke has.
He saw it, he was amazed, and then said "Yeah this guy definitely plays the guitar, nice uke playing though".

I was like .....

I've never played guitar, but a cousin who does visited me last week unannounced while I was messing around with my uke.

After a couple songs he said "If you can play that well why don't you just play a guitar?". I told him I'm still a beginner, but I believe it's a totally different instrument.

I then decided to show him a video of Jake playing My Guitar Gently Weeps.. thinking maybe he'd see what kind of potential the uke has.
He saw it, he was amazed, and then said "Yeah this guy definitely plays the guitar, nice uke playing though".

I was like .....

YES! those are the ones I am talking about. Often they seem to be people that don't play any instrument, yet they seem to know all about them lol.

I have four NICE guitars, but could never quite get it with them so started playing uke and have never looked back. Pulled out my accoustic Alvarez today which is a gem. When I picked it up, I though, " What a battleship this thing is" and put it back. The uke is where it's at for me.

I have four NICE guitars, but could never quite get it with them so started playing uke and have never looked back. Pulled out my accoustic Alvarez today which is a gem. When I picked it up, I though, " What a battleship this thing is" and put it back. The uke is where it's at for me.

Guitars have been good to me, I will always be thankful for that... but I must say, thus far I am enjoying the uke far more than I ever did guitar. My cousin thinks I have "lost my mind", but his stereotypes of ukes will be his loss as it was mine for a long time.

If you have ever seen what a seventy year old Irishman who has been playing for sixty-five years can do with a six dollar tin whistle, you learn very quickly not to judge an instrument by its cost and simplicity.

Brad

I've been playing nothing but ukulele for 2 weeks straight. Then today I picked up my guitar & it never seemed so huge! It took me a few minutes to adjust. I still like playing guitar & other instruments, too, but uke is my favorite now, & probably always will be.

I've been playing nothing but ukulele for 2 weeks straight. Then today I picked up my guitar & it never seemed so huge! It took me a few minutes to adjust. I still like playing guitar & other instruments, too, but uke is my favorite now, & probably always will be.

It's kind of weird. I can go from ukulele to bass guitar and it doesn't seem strange. But when I have (rarely) picked up my acoustic guitar since I started playing uke, it feels GIGANTIC.

Top Bottom