Fremont Strings: Ouch

iDavid

Reaction score
I've used Worth Clears, Aquilas, and Koolau

I thought I would give Fremont's a try on my Mainland Tenor. I put on a low-g set and had increased warm and volume compared to eh Koolau's.

However, these things are killing my fingers. I did not have this problem with any other strings and have played steal string guitar for years (not in the last few months, btw)

Have my fingers gone soft or are these Fremont's tough on the digits?

I'm thinking of trying Worth Browns next and wonder if they will hard on the fingers also...

I put Fremonts on my Mainland tenor a week or so ago. Yes, they were tough on the fingers at first but after a few days no problem and they sound great.
Have Worth Browns on my Ohana Tenor which is very similar in tone, build and response as the Mainland. They sound really good. suspect the Worth Browns would also sound great on the Mainland.
I think the Fremonts have just a little more punch and clarity as compared to the Worth Browns.
It's a case where one of each is good. Sometimes you want a little more punch and other times that warm mushy sound.
And to your question; I think the Worths are easier on the fingers..... but would recommend sticking with the Fremonts for a while.

Last edited:
I'll give the Fremonts some more time. I was worth clears on my KoAloha and I keep grabbing it over the tenor. My finger may never get use to the Fremonts at this rate.

Maybe I should put Fremonts on the KoAloha as well....

day two and the Fremonts are much better or my fingers are handing it better.

Low-G is odd. One minute I like it and the next it sounds hollow.

Can't help yah with the low G stuff, I've never tried it. But I think the fremonts soften up a little bit after a few days as well, and become easier to bend notes. That's how it seemed to me, but maybe I just got used to the strings

I tried a D'Addario classical plain G on the Lanakai as a low G, the tension's waaay too low, sounds like crapola.

I'll give the Fremonts some more time. I was worth clears on my KoAloha and I keep grabbing it over the tenor. My finger may never get use to the Fremonts at this rate.

Maybe I should put Fremonts on the KoAloha as well....

That's because it's a Koaloha. They seem to have a very special tone and great playability. My Koaloha tenor still has the Koaloha strings that it came with. It sounds so great I have no desire to try anything else.... yet my guess is that the Koaloha would sound great with any strings.

That's because it's a Koaloha. They seem to have a very special tone and great playability. My Koaloha tenor still has the Koaloha strings that it came with. It sounds so great I have no desire to try anything else.... yet my guess is that the Koaloha would sound great with any strings.

I guess I should just get a KoALoha tenor then.

Top Bottom