3rd stream picking

l0calb0y91

Reaction score
anybody out there that can explain to me how and which fingers Jake uses to pick in 3rd stream....i tried index, middle and thumb, but after watching Jake, he doesnt even use his index, it looks like hes using mostly the middle and thumb

i know Aldrine can play 3rd stream so to Alrdine: is there a specific pattern/technique for me to practice so I can one day learn to pick for that song?

thanks for all the help!

I have been working on this technique a little bit hear and there using both the index and thumb and the middle finger and thumb. Neither is comfortable and I’m just not making any progress. Aldrine demonstrated the technique when we visited together on Kauai and he pretty much has it down pat. The only way I can play it at tempo is to use my index finger as if it were a flat pick which results in a very bright sound.

Aldrine described the way he holds his fingers as sort of and X with the thumb being on the left side of the X and the middle finger on the right (referring to the bottom half of the X). When I’ve seen Jake close enough to get a look it appears that his thumb points more in towards the sound hole. That’s even more uncomfortable for me. I’m convinced it will take years to perfect and though I consider myself a pretty patient person I don’t know if I could stick with it that long. I don’t think I could watch enough TV to get it down.

Well, I did manage to complete my tab which is based loosely on one of the live performances. Here is a link to the midi file.

3rd Stream Midi

I have been working on this technique a little bit hear and there using both the index and thumb and the middle finger and thumb. Neither is comfortable and I’m just not making any progress. Aldrine demonstrated the technique when we visited together on Kauai and he pretty much has it down pat. The only way I can play it at tempo is to use my index finger as if it were a flat pick which results in a very bright sound.

Aldrine described the way he holds his fingers as sort of and X with the thumb being on the left side of the X and the middle finger on the right (referring to the bottom half of the X). When I’ve seen Jake close enough to get a look it appears that his thumb points more in towards the sound hole. That’s even more uncomfortable for me. I’m convinced it will take years to perfect and though I consider myself a pretty patient person I don’t know if I could stick with it that long. I don’t think I could watch enough TV to get it down.

Well, I did manage to complete my tab which is based loosely on one of the live performances. Here is a link to the midi file.

3rd Stream Midi
Hey Dom, I think I have been working on the same techquie, but just by accident.

1. What I do is hold my thumb and index finger together (i.e. like I would hold a guitar pick). I guess it looks like an "X".

2. For the actual up/down movement I use a (very tight but relaxed ) twisting wrist motion.

3. For the down stroke (pick) I use the inside (or underside) of my thumb nail to strike the string going down.

3. Then for coming up I use my index finger for the up stroke again using the inside (or underside) of the index finger.

As I said, the two fingers are held together (as one) throughout the picking techquie. It is beginning to work very well for me, but I'm concerned this might lead to a dead end fast picking techquie.

Does this sound like the same techquie Aldrine showed you, or have I made up some useless new techquie which I am spending far too much time on?? hahaha... thanks, e..

Last edited:
E-Lo-Roberts said:
Hey Dom, I think I have been working on the same techquie, but just by accident.

1. What I do is hold my thumb and index finger together (i.e. like I would hold a guitar pick). I guess it looks like an "X".

2. For the actual up/down movement I use a (very tight but relaxed ) twisting wrist motion.

3. For the down stroke (pick) I use the inside (or underside) of my thumb nail to strike the string going down.

3. Then for coming up I use my index finger for the up stroke again using the inside (or underside) of the index finger.

As I said, the two fingers are held together (as one) throughout the picking techquie. It is beginning to work very well for me, but I'm concerned this might lead to a dead end fast picking techquie.

Does this sound like the same techquie Aldrine showed you, or have I made up some useless new techquie which I am spending far too much time on?? hahaha... thanks, e..

Ernie, I just noticed your response to this thread.

I think you are describing a different technique than what Aldrine uses. I think his thumb and finger come apart during the technique. I haven't tried your description yet but it sounds very promising to me. I think you may be onto something. I'm gonna give it a go.
Thanks

Ernie, I just noticed your response to this thread.

I think you are describing a different technique than what Aldrine uses. I think his thumb and finger come apart during the technique. I haven't tried your description yet but it sounds very promising to me. I think you may be onto something. I'm gonna give it a go.
Thanks
Well then I don't know what Aldrine is doing I guess. Hey Aldrine, how about a slowed down, close up video lesson on your speed picking for 3rd stream!

Dom, I am familar with the open thumb and index back and forth picking as you describle, and use it for slower single note picking. I've seen you use this technique for single runs in one of your recent video lessons. But the limited speed of this application is what stops me from using it in fast picking situations. To me, it seems that the actual physical movement of the two independent fingers (thumb and index) can't easily reach or sustain fast picking for very long.

However, this new wrist movement picking technquie I have previously describled required very little effort to pick extremely fast. The practice part comes in with trying to control the accuracy of the wrist movement from swinging too far up or too far down so as not to hit the adjacent strings. Also, there is a "sweet spot" tone-wise that must be found and maintained when holding the thumb and index together as one. Each day is more promising than the last, so I keep hammering away at it.

Let me know after you've trying it out, if you still think this technique has any valid potential. Thanks...e...

Maybe Aldrine can clarify whether he opens the fingers or not but he is using the thumb and middle finger of the right hand.

I tried briefly the technique you described and the problem I was having is just as you said; the fingers hitting the other strings. I need to experiment with it some more and see how it shapes up.

Maybe Aldrine can clarify whether he opens the fingers or not but he is using the thumb and middle finger of the right hand.

I tried briefly the technique you described and the problem I was having is just as you said; the fingers hitting the other strings. I need to experiment with it some more and see how it shapes up.
Dom, yes the middle finger in my opinion can always be switched out with the index finger and actually feels much easier when alternating between thumb and middle. Without thinking about it, I switch out the index and middle all the time. However, I've been forcing myself to elect the index finger for this technquie for the simply fact that I figure down the road it's a better "get out" of position than having my index finger dangling in mid-air flying in the air so to speak. hahaha.... thanks, see ya,.....e....

hi guys.

i also tryed this middle and index thing.
well i mostly feel comfortable with thumb and index. but i't possible to do this also with the middle with practicing.
the main-problem is the movement i think.
on the left hand i can do the speed without picking.
on the right hand i can pick the right strings with the speed i need.
but combining both is hard... this is the difficult on it. but i begin slowly...

on the picking-hand i also feel better, to do a minimal movement with the fingers itself and mostly do the movement with the full hand. not wristing it; just up and down. bcause if i do just the fingers, after ten minutes of playing my little fingermuscles get hurt.

i heard jake practice this style for 2 years to get it right.... woo!
well... as aldrine said: do it slowly before getting speed.
don't care whos doing it in which way. find yours.

Top Bottom