Pono Ukuleles

I have a Pono tenor made in 2009. Model PTES (Pro Tenor Ebony Spruce). The ebony back and sides are gorgeous.
The thing is built like a tank. I think I could drive my truck over this thing and it would survive.
The neck feels great and plays sweet up and down the neck.
What it lacks is projection and vibe. While the tone is good, you have to really thump it to get it to sing.
I think that's the price you pay for a heavy build.
This was my first uke bought just a few months ago. Have now had the chance to compare it with other brands; Kanilea, Koaloha, Anuenue, Kala Acacia, Ohana and Mainland.
Once I got the right strings on them, they all have more projection and vibe than the Pono.
The new mahogany series Pono's are supposedly built lighter and thus more open sounding. I just ordered a new Pono baritone so we'll find out in a few days.
Sometimes I think about selling the PT but it does have that deep rich sweet sound..... the kind of thing I can play on the couch without driving my wife up the wall.
Very well built. No quality issues.
There you go. Hope this helps.

How are they sound wise? This one is quite bright, isn't it?

It is. Spruce is normally "bright'. UkeRepublic I believe had a spruce/maple combo Pono or something. I know I played many spuce/maple ukes he had recently. They sound nice. I don't like the Pono necks and I may never buy another Pono. The newer ones are better than the most recent older ones. They were quiet. Very heavy. My mango was very quiet. I had sopranos that would drown it out but it was a sweet sounding instrument just not loud. My co-worker has an ohai pono and he loves it. He even enjoys it more than my koalohas (at least that is what he tells me).

Last edited:
Just took a closer look at the uke your thinking. Mike says that this is one of the new ones with the lighter build so it probably sounds a whole lot better than mine.
That's a great looking uke and the slotted head stock is very cool..

Do the Ponos have wide nut widths or the standard 1-3/8"?

At $575, that's getting close to a KoAloha.

I believe it is all solid because of the category it falls into while shopping at that website.

I believe it is all solid because of the category it falls into while shopping at that website.

I see what you are saying. Kamoa might be producing solid koa ukes now. They were making laminates and solid tops at first. maybe they have expanded.

At $575, I think I would just save-up more for a "K" brand.

I agree. I have spent some money on Ponos (close to 900) and Mele (close to 800).
I now only buy really good deals on imports or mahogany only...when it comes to koa, go "K" brand only.

True. So what should I get? xD

I say either a KoAloha if you can swing it or a Mele. I own both and they are both nice. But I prefer KoAloha. Just something about the "K" brands. Once you get one it is hard to get anything else. One day I'll get me another Mele koa b/c I can get curly koa cheaper that route but it'll be after my custom uke.

Top Bottom