PDA

View Full Version : Pono Ukuleles

TheVandal
04-11-2010, 05:24 PM
Hey UU,
I was wondering if you guys have any opinions on this Pono ukulele?

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-PONO-MPTSH-MAPLE-SPRUCETOP-TENOR-SLOTHEAD-UKULELE_W0QQitemZ370363015013QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH _DefaultDomain_0?hash=item563b5b1f65

Thanks

haolejohn
04-11-2010, 05:54 PM
Hey UU,
I was wondering if you guys have any opinions on this Pono ukulele?

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-PONO-MPTSH-MAPLE-SPRUCETOP-TENOR-SLOTHEAD-UKULELE_W0QQitemZ370363015013QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH _DefaultDomain_0?hash=item563b5b1f65

Thanks

The new Ponos are nicer than the older ponos (some bad QC for awhile there).

TheVandal
04-11-2010, 05:57 PM
How are they sound wise? This one is quite bright, isn't it?

fahrner
04-11-2010, 06:14 PM
I have a Pono tenor made in 2009. Model PTES (Pro Tenor Ebony Spruce). The ebony back and sides are gorgeous.
The thing is built like a tank. I think I could drive my truck over this thing and it would survive.
The neck feels great and plays sweet up and down the neck.
What it lacks is projection and vibe. While the tone is good, you have to really thump it to get it to sing.
I think that's the price you pay for a heavy build.
This was my first uke bought just a few months ago. Have now had the chance to compare it with other brands; Kanilea, Koaloha, Anuenue, Kala Acacia, Ohana and Mainland.
Once I got the right strings on them, they all have more projection and vibe than the Pono.
The new mahogany series Pono's are supposedly built lighter and thus more open sounding. I just ordered a new Pono baritone so we'll find out in a few days.
Sometimes I think about selling the PT but it does have that deep rich sweet sound..... the kind of thing I can play on the couch without driving my wife up the wall.
Very well built. No quality issues.
There you go. Hope this helps.

haolejohn
04-11-2010, 06:16 PM
How are they sound wise? This one is quite bright, isn't it?

It is. Spruce is normally "bright'. UkeRepublic I believe had a spruce/maple combo Pono or something. I know I played many spuce/maple ukes he had recently. They sound nice. I don't like the Pono necks and I may never buy another Pono. The newer ones are better than the most recent older ones. They were quiet. Very heavy. My mango was very quiet. I had sopranos that would drown it out but it was a sweet sounding instrument just not loud. My co-worker has an ohai pono and he loves it. He even enjoys it more than my koalohas (at least that is what he tells me).

fahrner
04-11-2010, 06:21 PM
Just took a closer look at the uke your thinking. Mike says that this is one of the new ones with the lighter build so it probably sounds a whole lot better than mine.
That's a great looking uke and the slotted head stock is very cool..

GVlog
04-11-2010, 06:28 PM
Do the Ponos have wide nut widths or the standard 1-3/8"?

At $575, that's getting close to a KoAloha.

TheVandal
04-11-2010, 06:34 PM
I think they should be the same. I was comparing this uke to this one

http://ukuleleuprising.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=79
Any help?

haolejohn
04-11-2010, 06:37 PM
I think they should be the same. I was comparing this uke to this one

http://ukuleleuprising.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=79
Any help?

i think that kamoa is a laminate. it says all koa not all solid koa. Big difference there. Kamoas are endorsed by UU but i think that is b/c the company is based out of kauai???

The prices on the Ponos are steep for imports. Still less expensive than a "K" brand but not by much.

TheVandal
04-11-2010, 06:38 PM
I believe it is all solid because of the category it falls into while shopping at that website.

haolejohn
04-11-2010, 06:40 PM
I believe it is all solid because of the category it falls into while shopping at that website.

It might be but normally an all solid koa instrument is labeled as solid koa not all koa.

TheVandal
04-11-2010, 06:41 PM
True. So what should I get? xD

GVlog
04-11-2010, 06:42 PM
The prices on the Ponos are steep for imports. Still less expensive than a "K" brand but not by much.
At $575, I think I would just save-up more for a "K" brand.

haolejohn
04-11-2010, 06:43 PM

I see what you are saying. Kamoa might be producing solid koa ukes now. They were making laminates and solid tops at first. maybe they have expanded.

haolejohn
04-11-2010, 06:44 PM

I agree. I have spent some money on Ponos (close to 900) and Mele (close to 800).
I now only buy really good deals on imports or mahogany only...when it comes to koa, go "K" brand only.

TheVandal
04-11-2010, 06:45 PM

Can't. xD Maybe I could, but $800 would be pushing it!

haolejohn
04-11-2010, 06:46 PM
True. So what should I get? xD

I say either a KoAloha if you can swing it or a Mele. I own both and they are both nice. But I prefer KoAloha. Just something about the "K" brands. Once you get one it is hard to get anything else. One day I'll get me another Mele koa b/c I can get curly koa cheaper that route but it'll be after my custom uke.

TheVandal
04-11-2010, 06:46 PM
Still though, what uke should I really get?

haolejohn
04-11-2010, 06:47 PM

That will get you a used "k" tenor. a new concert.

haolejohn
04-11-2010, 06:48 PM
Still though, what uke should I really get?

what is your budget right now? Hpow bad do you want a uke?

TheVandal
04-11-2010, 06:49 PM
Pretty bad actually. SuperSecretBETA was trying to sell me that one Mele you had with the Fishman Pickup. XD
Budget is around $550

haolejohn
04-11-2010, 06:52 PM
Pretty bad actually. SuperSecretBETA was trying to sell me that one Mele you had with the Fishman Pickup. XD
Budget is around $550

How much? You can PM me if you like. I paid $790 I believe for that uke w/o shipping. I regret letting it go.

Your budget is pretty nice. Do you have to have a tenor?

TheVandal
04-11-2010, 06:54 PM
I would prefer a tenor, although do you have any other ideas on a nice uke to get? I recall you telling me all about those Meles

fahrner
04-11-2010, 06:55 PM
Of the eight or so that I listed, if I could only have one, it would be the Koaloha.

GVlog
04-11-2010, 06:56 PM

Then continue to polish your skills on a decent laminate or solid-top ukulele (i.e. you future travel or beater ukulele).

From what I've read on this forum, UAS (Ukulele Acquisition Syndrome) is partly a by-product of DKP (Denied K-Ukulele Procurement). That causes IUU (Incremental Ukulele Upgrades) which results in UUA (Unnecessary Ukulele Acumulation) ending in USAL (Ukulele Sale At-a-Loss).

In other words, you'd probably be better off being patient and buying the one you really want. One and done, ... period.

TheVandal
04-11-2010, 06:58 PM
Haha. Nice little list of diseases. xD I guess I'll wait. My birthday's around the corner. :D

haolejohn
04-11-2010, 06:59 PM
I would prefer a tenor, although do you have any other ideas on a nice uke to get? I recall you telling me all about those Meles

I would get a Mele over a kanilea or Kamaka almost everytime. I prefer KoAlohas and I want to get a kamaka one day but I'd rather play it in person first. I have owned enough Meles that I know what i am getting. A nice player's instrument. Well made with a nice sound. I own 4 sopranos, 1 super soprano, 3 concerts, 1 super concert, and 2 tenors right now. I prefer the concert size most days but there are times i prefer the tenor neck. It depends on what i am playing more often. i really don't like the soprano neck. Normally you can get a concert "k" brand for the cost of an import tenor.

So if you are looking import I'd go with Mele then either a Big Island or Mainland.

GVlog
04-11-2010, 07:02 PM
Haha. Nice little list of diseases.
Those diseases are very real. Just look around the forum and you'll see how many are afflicted, ... and in denial. ;)

You've been warned.

haolejohn
04-11-2010, 07:02 PM
Of the eight or so that I listed, if I could only have one, it would be the Koaloha.

I'd agree here. and with Gvlog's post. I have did the whole import, import, import and then I was given my first KoAloha and it hasn't been the same since. I do buy imports still (mahogany) but that is all.

TheVandal
04-11-2010, 07:03 PM
Thanks for all of the help. I might get that curly koa top w/ mahogany mele. w0ot. xD

haolejohn
04-11-2010, 07:06 PM
Thanks for all of the help. I might get that curly koa top w/ mahogany mele. w0ot. xD

That is a good choice. Have them send you pics to make sure the top is curly enough for your likings.

iDavid
04-11-2010, 11:32 PM
I bought a few lesser priced ukes: Pono, Ohana, and Mainland and all are very nice.

Then I got a KoAloha and the game is changed. I'll probably be selling the others. You can get a pikake concert for under 700 bucks with a plethora of extras.

http://cgi.ebay.com/pikake-KOALOHA-CONCERT-UKULELE-Hard-Case-tuner_W0QQitemZ250613154826QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_D efaultDomain_0?hash=item3a59b5440a

My next uke will ether be a KoAloha tenor or Mya-Moe

GVlog
04-12-2010, 04:29 AM
I bought a few lesser priced ukes: Pono, Ohana, and Mainland and all are very nice.

Then I got a KoAloha and the game is changed. I'll probably be selling the others.

I rest my case.

fivetide
04-12-2010, 04:46 AM
I recently took a thinline away for a trip and missed my KoAloha like crazy. The feeling just doesn't compare - all it did was help me with that muscle memory I'm trying to build.

I did however once have a nice solid all-Koa Pono - I don't think they make 'em like that any more. Quiet perhaps, but cultured - and a beautiful build quality, finish and wood superior to my K. Needed the funds for a different size uke, otherwise I'd still have it.

fahrner
04-12-2010, 07:00 AM
Then continue to polish your skills on a decent laminate or solid-top ukulele (i.e. you future travel or beater ukulele).

From what I've read on this forum, UAS (Ukulele Acquisition Syndrome) is partly a by-product of DKP (Denied K-Ukulele Procurement). That causes IUU (Incremental Ukulele Upgrades) which results in UUA (Unnecessary Ukulele Acumulation) ending in USAL (Ukulele Sale At-a-Loss).

In other words, you'd probably be better off being patient and buying the one you really want. One and done, ... period.
This was very good but you left one out. VUP or Vicarious Ukulele Purchase. While TheVandel is going through the UAS process, we are all living it through him. Maybe we should chip in or something. What a rush. It was good for me. Now I need to go have a cigarette.

fahrner
04-12-2010, 08:04 AM
Maybe you are done but I'm still shopping..... haha.
If I could only have two ukes, this would be my other one. http://cgi.ebay.com/KANILEA-K-1-SATIN-Solid-TENOR-KOA-UKULELE-w-cs_W0QQitemZ250611858919QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_Defa ultDomain_0?hash=item3a59a17de7#ht_2105wt_1167
This was my first really good uke and a real eye opener as to what a good uke should sound like.
A nice rich full sounding uke. Like the Koaloha, one that can be played softly or with gusto and still sound good.

iDavid
04-12-2010, 01:24 PM
Maybe you are done but I'm still shopping..... haha.
If I could only have two ukes, this would be my other one. http://cgi.ebay.com/KANILEA-K-1-SATIN-Solid-TENOR-KOA-UKULELE-w-cs_W0QQitemZ250611858919QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_Defa ultDomain_0?hash=item3a59a17de7#ht_2105wt_1167
This was my first really good uke and a real eye opener as to what a good uke should sound like.
A nice rich full sounding uke. Like the Koaloha, one that can be played softly or with gusto and still sound good.

How would the neck on that one compare to a KoAloha? I like that it is satin instead of gloss

ceviche
04-12-2010, 03:19 PM
Those diseases are very real. Just look around the forum and you'll see how many are afflicted, ... and in denial. ;)

You've been warned. :agree:

I got it bad, though I'm hoping that either a 4-string concert or tenor might put an end to my UAS. If quality ukes were more expensive than quality guitars, I might be able to control myself. But, sadly, this isn't the case. It's so dangerous knowing you have the coin to get something good for under $1K.

GVlog
04-12-2010, 03:27 PM
It's so dangerous knowing you have the coin to get something good for under $1K.
Blessed are the poor in funds for bankruptcy is yet one of the best cures for UAS. :)

lonsilog
04-12-2010, 03:31 PM
IMHO... If you ab-so-lute-ly have to have an ukulele now... just pick one, buy it, and play the heck out of it. Whether it be any K-brand, or Kamoa, Kala, Lanikai, Mele, Mainland... if you have just one uke, you won't miss the others. With a $500 budget, any uke you end up getting will be either very good or excellent, as long as it is set up properly. Mike Lynch (T.A.F.K.A. UkuleleMike on YouTube) plays an Oscar Schmidt Concert(?) Koa, and he was the 77th most subscribed channel on YT.

Anyway, what will most likely happen is that you will end up either upgrading or collecting more ukuleles... there's no denying or escaping that fact.

fahrner
04-12-2010, 03:40 PM
How would the neck on that one compare to a KoAloha? I like that it is satin instead of gloss
The Kanilea neck is 1.5" at the nut so just a little wider that the Koaloha(which is also 1.5" at the nut).
Some folks like the slightly wider string spacing.
Both are slim necks from top (fretboard side) to bottom meaning not as chunky as my Ohana for example.

fahrner
04-12-2010, 03:44 PM
Blessed are the poor in funds for bankruptcy is yet one of the best cures for UAS. :)

Already working on my letter to Obama. Asking for some of that UAS bail out money.

GVlog
04-12-2010, 03:53 PM
The Kanilea neck is 1.5" at the nut so just a little wider that the Koaloha.
I must say that fahrner's instrument knowledge is helping me whittle down which final instrument I want. Didn't know the KoAlohas were not 1.5" at the nut.

fahrner
04-12-2010, 04:02 PM
I must say that fahrner's instrument knowledge is helping me whittle down which final instrument I want. Didn't know the KoAlohas were not 1.5" at the nut.
Sorry about that. Just checked and the Koaloha IS 1.5" at the nut..... well, within a hair.
You've inflated my bubble and now I've burst it. Thanks for catching that.

GVlog
04-12-2010, 04:35 PM
Sorry about that. Just checked and the Koaloha IS 1.5" at the nut..... well, within a hair.
You've inflated my bubble and now I've burst it. Thanks for catching that.
Well, now I'll have to flip a coin, won't I? :)

fahrner
04-12-2010, 05:25 PM
Well, now I'll have to flip a coin, won't I? :)

One of each is my motto.
Just played both trying to decide if there was one I could recommend over the other.
From a finger picking standpoint (and I'm still an undisciplined beginner) both sound very good.
My normal play method is what I call thumb picking with some strumming thrown in.
They do sound different. Perhaps the Kanilea is a little cleaner while the Koaloha is a little boomier. Both have great sustain and vibrant tone.
Guess the bottom line is you can't go wrong with either one.

PS; just got the tracking number for my Pono bari. Guess I better get started on that letter to Obama.

GVlog
04-15-2010, 11:43 AM
Stumbled on this video. A Pono is compared to a less expensive ukulele. Looks like the video was done in 2010?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYLr7BH8E9s

fahrner
04-15-2010, 01:13 PM
The Pono sounds better.
Just kidding. This video pretty much depicts how my Pono tenor sounds compared to my Koaloha.
On the other hand I just received a new Pono bari that has volume, resonance and sustain that puts it way ahead of the Pono tenor.
It's lighter construction but still with the truss rod. Pretty cool. It sounds great.

cornfedgroove
04-15-2010, 04:33 PM
"This all solid koa tenor body features a slotted headstock with open, classical guitar style, geared tuners"

it says right there in the kamoa description

GVlog
04-17-2010, 08:19 PM
On the other hand I just received a new Pono bari that has volume, resonance and sustain that puts it way ahead of the Pono tenor.
It's lighter construction but still with the truss rod. Pretty cool. It sounds great.
Is that the all-solid mahogany?

I might be in the market for a bari tuned GCEA/gCEA. Not sure if I'll go with an all-solid Kala or spend the extra $100-$200 for an all-solid Pono.

ichadwick
04-18-2010, 02:28 AM
Is that the all-solid mahogany?

I might be in the market for a bari tuned GCEA/gCEA. Not sure if I'll go with an all-solid Kala or spend the extra $100-$200 for an all-solid Pono.
MGM sells a string set for that tuning. I just got a Pono mahogany baritone from another UUer, and it's quite interesting. Tuned dGBE. Nice sound but I have to relearn some guitar techniques to play it properly. I find the neck a tad wider than I'd prefer, and wish it was more narrow.