bummer man

nikolo727

Reaction score
ok well it was recently my 18th birthday(april 6th) and I was having a good time, but my old biology teacher in 10th grade, who i had a great relationship with, died on april 8th. he loved the uke and was even thinking of playing one. he was 44 years old and had a major heart attack. ive been really bummed these past days. so I come to you with this question: What songs do you guys/dolls play when you are really depressed, that in turn lift up your spirits?

Aloha for Now by Kaleo. Look it up on youtube. or check out his music website.

ok well it was recently my 18th birthday(april 6th) and I was having a good time, but my old biology teacher in 10th grade, who i had a great relationship with, died on april 8th. he loved the uke and was even thinking of playing one. he was 44 years old and had a major heart attack. ive been really bummed these past days. so I come to you with this question: What songs do you guys/dolls play when you are really depressed, that in turn lift up your spirits?
Not to get all religious on ya but I play some nice worship music. I can't be depressed while I worship. Praying for ya man.

Sorry to hear about your loss bud, my sincerest condolences. As the Deachness says; the blues. It always did it for me, but then again I was raised on it. Start with something you're likely to know, like Clapton. It sounds counter-intuitive, but playing the blues out is actually often quite a therapeutic release. It's like you're both meditating and grieving through music. YMMV.

In fact, one of the great strengths of the uke is you can play practically anything and sooner or later it'll cheer you up. It's by its very nature a therapeutic instrument. I bet it'd take me a lot longer playing the blues on a guitar to get the same effect as a uke, so really the answer is: whatever you are happy playing. I'm sure that your teacher would have wanted you to be happy, and the uke is one of the best vehicles for that. So don't aim for one specific style or a set playlist, just play, and keep playing.

Last year I lost a very close relative and was basically inconsolable. Four hours straight, just me and my uke alone playing whatever (sitting on a comfy chair out in the garage) resulted in some sore fingertips and me being in a much better headspace. That's not to say you should play for four hours, just play. Are there any songs that remind you of this man? That might be a good starting point for the grieving process, and might help you to focus on celebrating your friendship.

Play anything you enjoy, but do it outdoors. Try it.

thanks guys! Really. thanks. Its been a rough couple of days at school, but playing my uke has helped a lot! I know I could count on you guys!

I'm a very religious person john so no biggy there :D

Top Bottom