When did KoAloha go 2-piece?

ceviche

Reaction score
I was checking out ghostrdr's post on his new uke and the pictures of his Tenor KoAloha. Beautiful uke! The thing is, while enjoying the beauty of the 2-piece, book-matched body, it occured to me that my Y2K Soprano has a one-piece front and a one-piece back.

So when did KoAloha start with the book-matched bodies and stopped with the one-piece?

I think it depends on their wood stock. If they can make a one-piece they will. If the boards aren't wide enough then they go with book matching. I could be wrong so don't hold me to this. I hope Paul checks in on this.

I have a 2002 with a two-piece top and back. The sides are all one piece, though. Not sure if they're all like that.

I have a 2000 soprano with one piece side, top and back. It also has a koa neck and a 2006 pineapple soprano with one piece top and back and two-piece sides.

Jude

I have a 2000 soprano with one piece side, top and back. It also has a koa neck and a 2006 pineapple soprano with one piece top and back and two-piece sides.

Jude

Yeah, and my 2000 soprano has the all koa neck, too. And I mean even the fret board is koa--or at least it looks like it is. Could be rosewood? Dunno. But, yeah, the sides are one-piece, too.

We started integrating book matched sets in 2000, starting with the sides. As wide koa has become harder to find, our production is now almost exclusively bookmatched. We do still do one piece sides, top, and backs, when koa is available. There's no distinction in the price, so if you get a new one piece model, you're lucky.

Luthiers enlighten us, but I have the impression most makers do bookmatched for aesthetic reasons, like with a nice maple violin back. I heard that there's no difference in tone.

We started integrating book matched sets in 2000, starting with the sides. As wide koa has become harder to find, our production is now almost exclusively bookmatched. We do still do one piece sides, top, and backs, when koa is available. There's no distinction in the price, so if you get a new one piece model, you're lucky.

I have a 2010 (feb) pikake concert and when I look inside it seems like two pieces, but I cannot, for the life or me, find a seem on the back.

How can I tell?

Paul, I just want you to know that my KoAloha is a work of art in sound, playability, and looks.

BIG THANKS!

So you're saying I have a collector's item? Kind of like one of the last of the originals? :nana: If that's the case, then a member here recently scored a Y2K KoAloha on eBay for one good price!

--Dave E.

The non-bookmatched KoAlohas are definitely cool. I've got three of them now: 2x Super Sopranos and 1 Tenor. I don't have them in front of me currently, but they're all from 2000...I think. All have one piece front, back, and sides. And all are a delight to play. But man, it feels like they just loved setting them up with high action back then! I'll prob take my latest acquisition in to the factory over summer to get it lowered if I don't get around to doing it myself. The ebony saddle intimidates me...on the other hand, KoAloha's staff does not. And I'm long overdue for a visit with UU's own Kaneohe Til The End who works there. :D

David,

Thanks. Sometimes it's hard to tell a book match. It's hard to describe, but the best way is to look for the seam and symmetry across the middle.

ceviche,

Yes, your uke is special.

clayton,

I'm sure there's a slight difference, but I can't hear a distinction between book matched and single piece. We have built thousands either way and the grain and density of the board are much more influential.

I never really paid much attention to it, but my new 2010 Tenor is one piece front, and back. Now i'm even more ecstatic! Hats off to the Okami Family!!

Last edited:
My beloved little soprano is dated October of 2004. It has a one piece top and a one piece back.

Mahalo to Paul and your 'ohana for building this wonderful instrument.

Top Bottom