I have a question

To answer your question..

My opinion.. When i look at other ukuleles, theres bits and pieces that i like and dot like. Customizing My own ukulele actually gives me the piece of mind that everything on this ukulele is what i wanted. From the type of Wood thats been used; back, sides, neck, Pick ups, strings, fret board, Inlays, Size, sound hole, headstock... etc..

The custom ukulele actually describes you. You designed it..
Your custom ukulele will differently be different from the other brand ukuleles

dont know how else to describe it..

Hmmm does it really matter about the fret board how does it affect your sound??? Inlays and headstocks what's that?? lol sorry i'm a noob hahah.

Everything in your ukulele will affect the sound. I suggest you look up "guitar" on Wikipedia. All the terms that grappler mentioned are covered there much better than we can explain them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guitar

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 1
To me, the MAIN difference is the attention given to a custom made ukulele.

Ukulele's nowadays are mass produced. there's machine that do things a certain way and to make it a certain sound. A custom made ukulele is made usually with the maker paying special attention to the ukulele and most of the time, building it himself. That's why Kamaka's are so expensive. The regular ones have a certain palette that they follow. While the custom ones have specific details that can only be done by hand.

Just knowing that alone, you should be able to imagine the difference in a custom made and a regular ukulele.

ok thanks and I know what you mean aldrine hahah. Aldrine how did you custom make mika or made her different???

ok thanks and I know what you mean aldrine hahah. Aldrine how did you custom make mika or made her different???

changed the electronics on her. Also worked on the saddle and action. They adjusted the bridge after that. Then they installed a clear pick guard :D

Jake is gonna take her this coming week to re-work on her saddle. I get to watch the whole process. HE's the one working on it now. He reassures me that after the saddle is done, she'll feel like a totally different instrument.

If he allows... we might get some footage of it. Or perhaps maybe a jam session hehehe.

Last edited:
Hmmmm what's a saddle?? or what does that do?? you're probably laughing at me now right hahah. You seem happy to do the remodel on her lol it's like changing her clothes and getting hair cut but it's dealing with sound hahah.

saddle is the part on the bridge that the strings rest on. basically the bridge is the part that the strings are anchored to toward the butt of the uke. the saddle is a separate piece that the strings rest on which plays a part in how high the strings are off the fretboard (or action). the nut is the part that the string rest on all the way up on the neck. that also plays a part in the action of the strings. the angle and position of the the saddle also plays an important part, along with the fret placement, in intonation (how accurate each note is when played at each fret).

haha i learned all this while taking apart one of my guitars to rip the undersaddle pickup out so i could install it in my baritone ukulele. had to replace the saddle because of the extra room left over in the bridge where the saddle rested.

hope that made sense

saddle is the part on the bridge that the strings rest on. basically the bridge is the part that the strings are anchored to toward the butt of the uke. the saddle is a separate piece that the strings rest on which plays a part in how high the strings are off the fretboard (or action). the nut is the part that the string rest on all the way up on the neck. that also plays a part in the action of the strings. the angle and position of the the saddle also plays an important part, along with the fret placement, in intonation (how accurate each note is when played at each fret).

haha i learned all this while taking apart one of my guitars to rip the undersaddle pickup out so i could install it in my baritone ukulele. had to replace the saddle because of the extra room left over in the bridge where the saddle rested.

hope that made sense

wow surprisingly i understood that and i learned something new!!
Thanks Nuke

Grappler...are you playing the uke you have pictured? That thing is sweet. I think it is the James Hill Signature G string correct? I think that is one of the best looking ukes out there right now.. How does it sound though? That is...if you play that model...

Grappler...are you playing the uke you have pictured? That thing is sweet. I think it is the James Hill Signature G string correct? I think that is one of the best looking ukes out there right now.. How does it sound though? That is...if you play that model...

HAHA ukestar!

I wish i could actually say i own one, but unfortunately i don't. Its just a picture i got off google. Yes its a James Hill Signature G string Tenor with A CRAZYYY pick up system.
Im playing a tenor size Mahalo. Not that great of a uke, but planning on buying a new one.. How about you? how long u been playing and what uke?

Top Bottom