Worth Strings

freackykit

Reaction score
Ok...anyone taking a look at my forum questions will realise that they probably rank amongst the most basic and stupid so I may as well continue the precedent..!

I've more or less decided to try worth strings on my Mahogany Tenor and my upcoming purchase of a spruce top - clears on the latter and browns on the former. I know I need Tenor strings but yet again things aint that simple...different thicknesses etc...

Can anyone point me in the right direction please?

Cheers,

Chris

So BTs and CTs are the basic recommendations

Cheers for that because there seems to be loads of variants. If I didn't pose the question well, you gave the answer I needed,

Thanks again

Chris

I would go with CT or BT, both great choices. Then, once you ahave a feel for them you can try others if you feel you need to tweak them for our individual instrument and style.

Cheers,

Sounds like good advice...stick with the basics before going wading in,

Thanks

I love my worth browns, I think(probably wrong) they are lower tension than say aquilas. When I first started playing, aquilas didn't agree with my fingers. Now I feel like I should re-try them and see how they agree now.

Iv got aquilas on my soprano which i like but thinking of trying some worth browns as iv nothing to compare the aquillas against. Ken Middleton recommends the BM's so might give them a try. Just wish i could try before i buy!!

I love my worth browns, I think(probably wrong) they are lower tension than say aquilas. When I first started playing, aquilas didn't agree with my fingers. Now I feel like I should re-try them and see how they agree now.

Think someone once told me you lose a bit of volume as well going from aquilas to worth browns... I wonder what your comments are on this?

Chris

Keep in mind that volume isn't always the end-all and be-all in sound. There's other qualities that can be coaxed out with different strings.
And for what it's, er, worth, I just took Aquilas off a cheapie to put on some Worth brown low Gs. The volume did the opposite of decrease. And the sound is fantastic.
Also, the Worth fat strings are loud. They're also higher in tension, so not for everything.

Thanks for all the above comments!

I'm sure that other newbies like myself will find it interesting and useful...off to get some Worths :)

Chris

Top Bottom