smelly case?

ashleychantel

Reaction score
I just got a new "uke crazy" alligator skin hard case for one of my ukes.. It looks great and offers good protection, but this thing smells! I'm assuming it's from the glue they used to make it, but it smells just like a skunk. I put one of those baking soda fridge fresheners in for 3 days and kept it shut but it still stinks. I wouldn't mind so much but it makes the uke smell really strongly too and it drives me nuts. Any ideas for getting rid of the stench? :confused:

Lysol and fresh air.

When I got my used Risa stick, the gig bag for it reeked of cigarette smoke. I sprayed it with "Spring Waterfall" scented Lysol and let it dry out in the sun. I kept repeating this until it smelled okay.

I bought a guitar case that stunk badly once. I Fabreezed the hell out of it and left it open for a week (giving it a few more squirts of Fabreeze now and again). It didn't stink after that. It just really needed to air out.

Try fabric softener sheets, they take the stink out of most anything.

Makall Mini Litter

I bought a used Suburu a couple of weeks ago and it reeked of cigarette smoke. I found this tip on the Outback Forum.
Buy a 4# bag of Makall Mini Litter from Wal-Mart pet dept. Put some in a small cloth bag and keep it in your case. I used three socks with a cup of the litter in each sock in my car, one under each front seat and one in the back and after two weeks the cigarette smell is completely gone, even with the car closed up on a hot day.
This stuff doesn't look like cat litter, it's small white crystals with some blue ones mixed in. A 4# bag costs $4.32 I used three cups because I had a large volume of air to deal with, you won't need near as much for your case.

Jude

It's the glue gasing off. I have left cases sitting open for a few days on the patio. (no uke)
Keep it out of the sun, if it gets to warm the glue melts.
Fabric softner sheets work too, but fresh air does the best. If you leave the case closed the smell/glue gas can't escape.

I would just get a new box of baking soda, open it up, and close it in the case (without the uke in it) and just leave it for a few days...

Then, after that, if there is any smell left over, just febreeze the heck out of it, close it up, and let it set for a couple more days.. That should do it..

I wouldn't use Lysol or anything scented like that. Once that gets in it, you will never get that odor out, and believe me, you will get real tired of smelling lysol everything you pull your Uke out, and not to mention your Uke will smell like lysol too..

I wouldn't use Lysol or anything scented like that. Once that gets in it, you will never get that odor out, and believe me, you will get real tired of smelling lysol everything you pull your Uke out, and not to mention your Uke will smell like lysol too..

That is untrue. Neither my ukulele, nor it's case smell like Lysol.

Dunno bout that.. It is true for me. I like to use Lysol for certain purposes. But I have used it on things before and it smelled like Lysol for years. Lysol is a good product, but not to let something permiate in it.. It will take over per my expericences with it.. I have a fairly sensitive nose tho, if that matters.. I just like to use something with a nutrual odor...

Dunno bout that.. It is true for me. I like to use Lysol for certain purposes. But I have used it on things before and it smelled like Lysol for years. Lysol is a good product, but not to let something permiate in it.. It will take over per my expericences with it.. I have a fairly sensitive nose tho, if that matters.. I just like to use something with a nutrual odor...

Whatever... :rolleyes:

I remember when a lot of cases smelled like....well Pakalolo......Thats Marijuana for you mainland folk

hmmm.. wonder why that was... Musicians don't do those things...

hmmmm...

Put some coffe beans in a bag with holes in it also orange peels the smell go away.

I bought some new cases that kinda had the pakalolo smell it actually smells more like that tree that grows these half boomerang looking things with black beans in them i think its called JuJu bean tree.

I remember when a lot of cases smelled like....well Pakalolo......Thats Marijuana for you mainland folk

This made me lol

Don't worry. The glue smell will go away eventually even if you just leave it.

One of the first guitar cases I had smelled like that.. and it wasn't from anything I did to make it smell that way! lol

Top Bottom