PDA

View Full Version : Why Don't People Take the Ukulele Seriously?

nkorb21
04-14-2010, 11:42 AM
Many people think of a ukulele as more of a toy or a small guitar, rather than its own instrument. I recently received a comment on Youtube: "...dude u are like 110 times better,why don't u play a regular guitar instead of that small" I think it is kind of ridiculous that people believe that playing on a ukulele or "small guitar" means you are not a serious musician. What does everyone else think about this? Thanks! :D

happyslappysoong
04-14-2010, 11:55 AM
Peopl are ignorant.

Besides, if you play it in Japan or Hawaii, no one will think twice.
It depends on how Ukulele culture is where people are. Some places its less or none just cos it hasnt caught on.

If you take it seriously, others will!

pulelehua
04-14-2010, 12:17 PM
Given all the rubbish that stupid people say on Youtube, I'd just ignore it. It's an easy place to share your ignorance and narrow-mindedness with the world, and sadly, too many people use it to that end on a regular basis. If you keep up the good work, like-minded people will find you.

bazmaz
04-14-2010, 12:23 PM
send them a link to joe brown or george harrison playing by reply?

ashleychantel
04-14-2010, 12:29 PM
I've played guitar for over 8 years and I just started playing the uke about a year ago. When I tell my friends or family that I have started to play ukulele I definitely get some weird looks and laughs, but after they see me play it they realize it's a real instrument and they really like it. I have a couple of friends that I play guitar with that laughed when I showed them my first uke but now they are both shopping for one! people in Texas just aren't used to seeing them around so they're automatically judging by the size that it's a toy. (everything's bigger in Texas is true in some people's minds!)

nkorb21
04-14-2010, 12:32 PM
I've played guitar for over 8 years and I just started playing the uke about a year ago. When I tell my friends or family that I have started to play ukulele I definitely get some weird looks and laughs, but after they see me play it they realize it's a real instrument and they really like it. I have a couple of friends that I play guitar with that laughed when I showed them my first uke but now they are both shopping for one! people in Texas just aren't used to seeing them around so they're automatically judging by the size that it's a toy. (everything's bigger in Texas is true in some people's minds!)

I definitely get similar reactions from people when I show them my ukes or tell them I play uke! haha

sukie
04-14-2010, 12:34 PM
I don't let it bother me.

Ukulele JJ
04-14-2010, 12:48 PM
Why is it important that other people take the ukulele seriously?

Anyway, if you really want to get made fun of, trying being an accordion player. ;-)

JJ

ichadwick
04-14-2010, 01:00 PM
I've played guitar for over 8 years and I just started playing the uke about a year ago. When I tell my friends or family that I have started to play ukulele I definitely get some weird looks and laughs...
You think you had strange looks? I played guitar 45+ years before I took up the uke. I jammed with a lot of people locally over the years; mostly electric rock, blues, folk - it's hard to explain, even to the people I played with, why the uke works for me. I'm working on trying to get some other musicians interested themselves. It's a meme, and once they get infected they help spread it.

Pippin
04-14-2010, 01:01 PM

You should hear Miss Jess... She is a performer from Texas that is now hanging on the East Coast, but her brother is Jimmy Dreams (plays with Neville Brothers and a lot of big names). Jess plays and sings country and jazzy-blues tunes and more.

arashi_nero
04-14-2010, 01:03 PM
i think that because utah has such a high concentration of polynesians, it's not as weird here. you do still get some looks, tho.

i just realized that for as many polynesians as we have here, we have no good ukulele stores. but every music store carries at least some kind of uke.

as for youtube trolls, i just tend to ignore them. i just got a comment today from some hat in cyprus on a video i did of my exhaust system on my isuzu car before i put a turbo on it. he said, "your such an idiot mate , sort yourself out ............". that will just be deleted. i've fought with these idiots before and it's not worth it. now, if he'd made some kind of valid point and/or explained his opinion, i might have left it up.

Pippin
04-14-2010, 01:03 PM
You think you had strange looks? I played guitar 45+ years before I took up the uke. I jammed with a lot of people locally over the years; mostly electric rock, blues, folk - it's hard to explain, even to the people I played with, why the uke works for me. I'm working on trying to get some other musicians interested themselves. It's a meme, and once they get infected they help spread it.

Ian... I haven't seen you on the forum for a long time. Hope all is well with you and yours.

PeformanceUke
04-14-2010, 02:56 PM
Don't know about the rest of the world but in Hawaii we take Ukulele's seriously. In our public schools music programs and Hawaiiana programs ukulele's are introudced to kids from 1st grade all the way up to highschool.

nomis
04-14-2010, 03:04 PM
Why does it matter whether or not other people take the Ukulele seriously? Why do you care - how does it affect you? They have a right to feel any way they want about the Ukulele. Maybe you don't take synchronized swimming very seriously. Surely what really matters is how you feel about your instrument. If your primary reason for taking up a musical instrument was to make friends and influence people, maybe you should reconsider your choice.

Personally, I don't take my Uke seriously. I already have enough things in my life which have to be taken seriously, and most of them I don't associate with having fun. The Ukulele IS a toy guitar (it's as good a description as any other) and what's wrong with that? I have fond memories of playing with toys - Like most men, I still enjoy playing with toys and I enjoy playing my toy guitar whenever I can. As for what others think..............I really don't give a flying @$*!!! because I play for me.

nkorb21
04-14-2010, 03:12 PM
as for youtube trolls, i just tend to ignore them. i just got a comment today from some hat in cyprus on a video i did of my exhaust system on my isuzu car before i put a turbo on it. he said, "your such an idiot mate , sort yourself out ............". that will just be deleted. i've fought with these idiots before and it's not worth it. now, if he'd made some kind of valid point and/or explained his opinion, i might have left it up.

The guy wans't trolling me. haha :) His comment was actually a compliment. I was just using that as an example. I'm not angry or upset. I just think it's interesting that other people don't really know that much about the awesomeness that is the Ukulele! :)

Ukuleleblues
04-14-2010, 03:15 PM
I remember someone onces posted on a thread like this that most classical musicians say that a guitar is not a "real instrument" because of the limited range. I'm so glad that I don't have to have a full blown pipe organ to have fun playing.

UkeforJC
04-14-2010, 03:19 PM
That is why the world needs us, Ukulele Underground folks, to spread the aloha spirit.
I also just recently started to play ukulele and fall in love it ukes. I started two months ago, and I have got two of my friends started playing.

One day...the ukes shall rule....LOL...

(just joking..)

Skottoman
04-14-2010, 03:29 PM
Don't know about the rest of the world but in Hawaii we take Ukulele's seriously. In our public schools music programs and Hawaiiana programs ukulele's are introudced to kids from 1st grade all the way up to highschool.

That is so frikin' cool.
Cheers,
Skottoman

Chris Tarman
04-14-2010, 04:36 PM
That is why the world needs us, Ukulele Underground folks, to spread the aloha spirit.
I also just recently started to play ukulele and fall in love it ukes. I started two months ago, and I have got two of my friends started playing.

One day...the ukes shall rule....LOL...

(just joking..)

"One uke to rule them all... One uke to bind them..." Oh wait... we would never be able to settle on just ONE uke.

AC Baltimore
04-14-2010, 06:02 PM
They are uninformed, just like I was. As I mentioned in another thread, in some ways the uke is actually a more complex instrument. The strum patterns for uke far out weigh that of Guitar... and God help me I'd much rather hit an Emaj on a Guitar than Uke lol.

kissing
04-14-2010, 06:11 PM
lol, Because they realise how powerful UAS is compared to GAS.
They must do everything in their power to stop Ukes from taking over!

UkuLeLesReggAe
04-14-2010, 06:29 PM
Peopl are ignorant.!

yep, people are so ignorant... no responsibility or respect anymore.....

but, just remember, it's an awesome instrument and you can play while they can't.

go pick up a guitar, and be like the other 4billion population who can play it and conform to everybody. or, be awesome.

in australia anyway.

itsme
04-14-2010, 06:58 PM
Why does it matter whether or not other people take the Ukulele seriously? Why do you care - how does it affect you? They have a right to feel any way they want about the Ukulele. Maybe you don't take synchronized swimming very seriously. Surely what really matters is how you feel about your instrument. If your primary reason for taking up a musical instrument was to make friends and influence people, maybe you should reconsider your choice.

Personally, I don't take my Uke seriously. I already have enough things in my life which have to be taken seriously, and most of them I don't associate with having fun. The Ukulele IS a toy guitar (it's as good a description as any other) and what's wrong with that? I have fond memories of playing with toys - Like most men, I still enjoy playing with toys and I enjoy playing my toy guitar whenever I can. As for what others think..............I really don't give a flying @$*!!! because I play for me.
I mostly agree with you. My husband calls my uke my "twanger". He's accepted that I enjoy it, and that's all that really matters. Who cares what other people think?

Dane
04-14-2010, 07:23 PM
You should never take yourself too seriously. But when you tell them you play uke, I find I get a better reaction if I pronounce it the hawaiin way, it sounds a little bit more serious than "you-ka-lay-lee" And if they chuckle just give them a confused look haha. You could also always carry a uke with you, that way when you tell people you play ukulele you can play for them and show em what it's like.

The thing about youtube is, well, there are a lot of lonely angry people out there who stalk the videos just looking for someone to trash. There are no repercussions for your actions on youtube, so people say things that they would never say to a human being face-to-face

byjimini
04-15-2010, 02:52 AM
I just tell them it's a small guitar, saves all the explaining and references.

Ignorance is bliss, in this case.

MikeO
04-15-2010, 02:58 AM
It's funny - I've been a guitar player for a long time, and when friends come over to jam and I whip out the new uke, they just kind of titter. Of course if I had a bit of skill at it I think it would be taken more seriously.

nomis
04-15-2010, 03:11 AM
Of course if you've got a few licks under your belt you can really suprise them because they won't be expecting anything from a toy guitar. So maybe being the underdog isn't all bad.

P.S. Am I (I probably am) the only person that cringes every time I hear someone pronounce you-ka-lay-lee the Hawaiian way?

pulelehua
04-15-2010, 03:26 AM
Of course if you've got a few licks under your belt you can really suprise them because they won't be expecting anything from a toy guitar. So maybe being the underdog isn't all bad.

P.S. Am I (I probably am) the only person that cringes every time I hear someone pronounce you-ka-lay-lee the Hawaiian way?

It's okay. You don't play an oo-koo-ley-ley. You play a toi-gee-tah.

;)

krabbers
04-15-2010, 03:40 AM
i only play the ukulele to make me look bigger on stage its an optical illusion

"its a real guitar.I am a giant"

sebi
04-15-2010, 04:32 AM
Here in Switzerland, many people say the ukulele is a children's instrument, not a real instrument. So, I'm trying to prove them wrong :)

arashi_nero
04-15-2010, 04:58 AM
to the op, i didn't mean the person who posted on your video was a troll. you're original post did make it seem like you were frustrated by what he said, tho. so, he's complimenting you but trashing the ukulele? but unless he gives you a good reason why the ukulele is not worth you playing, i think it's trolling lol.

funny story about that--because i say it the hawaiian way and because my wife is japanese (they pronounce it the hawaiian way, too), my kids say it the hawaiian way. one day my dad was over and asked my 4 year old son to grab his old you-ka-lay-lee and my son told my dad, "no grandpa, it's an 'oo-koo-lay-lay'". that was a proud day!

byjimini
04-15-2010, 06:24 AM
i only play the ukulele to make me look bigger on stage its an optical illusion

"its a real guitar.I am a giant"

Haha! That's a good one!

krabbers
04-15-2010, 07:11 AM
Haha! That's a good one!

i did read in a guitar magazine that a "top" guitarist tho i cannot remember who , has his guitars custom made smaller to make him look bigger on stage

byjimini
04-15-2010, 07:14 AM
No way, really? That's insane! I'd use that joke myself, but I'm already 6ft 3!

SailQwest
04-15-2010, 07:24 AM
We've never had that problem with our ukuleles, but people don't seem to take me seriously.

When we play out, many times people have come up afterward to tell my husband how much they enjoyed his solo in "insert song name here." It wasn't him, it was me!

04-15-2010, 08:16 AM
seriously, this is maybe the 50th thread of similar ilk in the past year. no disrespect but all bluntness intended, just get over it.

Dane
04-15-2010, 08:31 AM

I cringe everytime I hear someone pronounce it you-ka-lay-lee, it sounds so crude, and toyish, and reminds me of my southern relatives haha

johnjo
04-15-2010, 09:37 AM
Its got a bit of a tarnished reputation in my home town Warrington due to George Formby spending most of his life living here. Mention the word ukulele and people think you are going to start singing 'when im cleaning windows'! Its what the average UK person associates with the uke and its not even a ukulele its a banjolele!! I wouldn't mind he was a top quality player and used the ukulele the way i like seeing it used, for fun, laughter and creating good times. What more do you want from an instrument!

Saying that my daughter took her new uke to school today to show off to all the girls in her class and she reckons they all want one! (They've never heard of George Formby)

hoosierhiver
04-15-2010, 09:41 AM
i did read in a guitar magazine that a "top" guitarist tho i cannot remember who , has his guitars custom made smaller to make him look bigger on stage

I wouldn't be surprised if it was Mellencamp, he's a little runt.

SailQwest
04-15-2010, 09:55 AM

My first thought was Kenny Chesney, although he could hardly be considered a "top" guitarist. Especially since he uses a guitar more as a stage prop than as an instrument.

nomis
04-15-2010, 10:09 AM
@Dane

So by that token a Guitar must be called a Guitarra?
And a Sitar must be called a Sitāra?

In the UK it's pronounced You-Ka-Lay-Lee. The word has become Anglicized like many others (or at least localized) like the instrument itself. Calling it an Ooooookaloooolee or whatever is just pretentious nonsense. What's more it smacks of trying to cover up the fact that you play (what most of the non Uke playing public know as) a You-Ka-Lay-Lee. Almost an attempt to justify the instrument by renaming it.

And that's another point, i guess we can't call it a Uke anymore - do we now have to say Ook? Say Ook a couple of times and people will think you're impersonating a bl@@dy Gibbon.

QuokkaTribe
04-15-2010, 10:43 AM
When people ask what instruments I play and I list ukulele as one of them, they always laugh.

Till I start to play for them (if I have my uke with me), then they get really quiet and just listen...
Then who looks like the fool? muahaha!

Ukulele JJ
04-15-2010, 11:40 AM
Anyone taking bets on the number of posts until threadlock?

I say we'll get past 55, but probably not to 70. :p

JJ

Dane
04-15-2010, 12:05 PM
@Dane

So by that token a Guitar must be called a Guitarra?
And a Sitar must be called a Sitāra?

In the UK it's pronounced You-Ka-Lay-Lee. The word has become Anglicized like many others (or at least localized) like the instrument itself. Calling it an Ooooookaloooolee or whatever is just pretentious nonsense. What's more it smacks of trying to cover up the fact that you play (what most of the non Uke playing public know as) a You-Ka-Lay-Lee. Almost an attempt to justify the instrument by renaming it.

And that's another point, i guess we can't call it a Uke anymore - do we now have to say Ook? Say Ook a couple of times and people will think you're impersonating a bl@@dy Gibbon.

You don't need to be so rude, I was merely stating that I do not like the way the majority of the English speaking world pronounces it. Everyone has their preference. I do not think the words Guitar and Sitar sound toy-ish and crude, but I would be more than happy to pronounce them in their proper manner. I am always curious of the origins of things and of words, by no means am I going to start speaking in old English, but I appreciate the instrument, so I feel I should pronounce it the Hawaiian way. I do not try to cover up the fact that I am playing a yookalaylee, that's like saying I should stop playing contemporary tunes or jazz or blues on my ukulele because it's rejecting the instrument for what it is known for.

Also, when I refer to my instrument in short-form, I call it a uke, not an ook, because that sounds silly, as I said with the pronunciation (you-ka-lay-lee)

I am not trying to be confrontational. I have no problem with you, I just don't like being misjudged.

arashi_nero
04-15-2010, 01:06 PM
personally, after learning and becoming fluent in several languages, i try to pronounce things how they should be pronounced; however, i still don't do everything right myself. ukulele should be pronounced ookoolehleh, imo. just like karaoke should not be kehree-ohkee, it should be kahrahohkay. it also bothers me when people mispronounce mountains here in utah and call them mou'uns (don't even try to think about that one, it will make you stupid lol).

on a related side note, whenever you call the ukulele by the hawaiian pronunciation, no one knows what you're talking about. you have to tell them it's a yookoolaylee. i think with most foreign words, it's a lose-lose situation if you try to use it right.

Dane
04-15-2010, 01:24 PM
on a related side note, whenever you call the ukulele by the hawaiian pronunciation, no one knows what you're talking about. you have to tell them it's a yookoolaylee. i think with most foreign words, it's a lose-lose situation if you try to use it right.

Yeah, and I rather enjoy confusing people haha. If someone says "Oh hey you play the yookalaylee" I don't correct them on their pronunciation, it's just how I say it.

ChiyoDad
04-15-2010, 02:01 PM
Many people think of a ukulele as more of a toy or a small guitar, rather than its own instrument. I recently received a comment on Youtube: "...dude u are like 110 times better,why don't u play a regular guitar instead of that small" I think it is kind of ridiculous that people believe that playing on a ukulele or "small guitar" means you are not a serious musician. What does everyone else think about this? Thanks! :D

Performance skills aside, I think part of the problem is that the general public associates the ukulele with performances similar to the one below. Many instruments have clown performers like Liberace or Naked Cowboy. Either the ukulele has more than its fair share or the clowns get more attention than the serious players.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_bgwbponB8

scottie
04-15-2010, 02:10 PM
You don't need to be so rude, I was merely stating that I do not like the way the majority of the English speaking world pronounces it. Everyone has their preference. I do not think the words Guitar and Sitar sound toy-ish and crude, but I would be more than happy to pronounce them in their proper manner. I am always curious of the origins of things and of words, by no means am I going to start speaking in old English, but I appreciate the instrument, so I feel I should pronounce it the Hawaiian way. I do not try to cover up the fact that I am playing a yookalaylee, that's like saying I should stop playing contemporary tunes or jazz or blues on my ukulele because it's rejecting the instrument for what it is known for.

Also, when I refer to my instrument in short-form, I call it a uke, not an ook, because that sounds silly, as I said with the pronunciation (you-ka-lay-lee)

I am not trying to be confrontational. I have no problem with you, I just don't like being misjudged.

I spell it ukulele. I pronounce it more like Yookelele. I'm okay with that. If you're not, go eat some onion rings. You'll feel better.

Ukulele JJ
04-15-2010, 02:26 PM
Performance skills aside, I think part of the problem is that the general public associates the ukulele with performances similar to the one below. Many instruments have clown performers like Liberace or Naked Cowboy. Either the ukulele has more than its fair share or the clowns get more attention than the serious players.

I think you're probably right. People associated Liberace's hi-jinks with the piano, but not the other way around, because there were so many counter-examples in the public consciousness. Back when I first started taking piano lessons, if you told someone you played piano, they'd probably think of Liberace. But they'd also think of people like Elton John, Billy Joel, Vladimir Horowitz, Dave Brubeck... and maybe even aunt Mabel and grandpa Eugene.

But when people think "ukulele" in the mainland US, they think of Tiny Tim and that's pretty much it. In the UK, substitute George Formby. There simply aren't any non-novelty-act uke players that have ever reached a critical mass of fame.

Yet.

(As an aside, however, I will point out that Liberace was actually very, very good at the piano. He was certainly, um, "showy". :D But he was a serious player.)

JJ

nomis
04-15-2010, 02:35 PM
Personally I quite like clowns playing Ooks, it makes me smile. Pronunciation aside, could it be that people are confusing a serious instrument with an instrument which is taken seriously?

The Ook clearly has a firm association and a long history that ties it in with comedy performers - surely that's part of its charm.

http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/2368/128888888057157436a.jpg (http://img143.imageshack.us/i/128888888057157436a.jpg/)

gotrice415510
04-15-2010, 03:01 PM
i was at the doctor the other day and she asked me what my hobbies where and i told her i play uke legitimately and she giggled a little and didn't right anything down and then i said guitar also and she wrote that down..... it really pissed me off but i realized it was pointless to say anything cuz she probably doesn't even know what a chord is.

04-15-2010, 03:07 PM

He Hawai'i au. I am Hawaiian. I respect my Kupuna's language, so I say it the way my kupuna say it. I don't take the 'ukulele too seriously, but I do take the insults of ko'u 'olelo makuahine sounding like an ape and for clowns.

seeso
04-15-2010, 03:16 PM
I spell it ukulele. I pronounce it more like Yookelele. I'm okay with that. If you're not, go eat some onion rings. You'll feel better.

Scottie, please try to be more respectful in your replies. Thanks.

nomis
04-15-2010, 03:33 PM
@1014

I think it's great that you have an interest in your native tongue, but I would most respectfully suggest that you may not be quite as fluent in mine (English) as you seem to have completely mis-understood/quoted me. The association (in Mainland US and Europe) between the Ook and clowns/comedy performers is an historical fact. I'm sorry if you don't like that but it's just the way it is.

I'm not Hawaiian, I'm not pretending to be Hawaiian and I'm not really sure why you expect me to speak Hawaiian. If I had to refer to every object in my home using the language of the country that it originated in I'd have to speak about twenty different languages. Anyway, we're lead to believe that the Ook is actually an Hawaiian take on an early Portuguese instrument, so should we use that language to describe it?

Anyway, boo hoo hoo, no one takes my Ook seriously ...... If that's your biggest problem..............

EDIT: This picture went too far - seeso.

Dane
04-15-2010, 03:58 PM

You lost me with the onion rings. But if you had been paying attention instead of trying to think up a snide remark, you would have seen that I have no problem with other peoples pronunciations, I may not like the way it sounds, but I make no effort to try to make them say it any differently. As I said, everyone has their preferences, and it really does not matter to me. I will say it my way.

nomis
04-15-2010, 04:13 PM
Oh, I thought the onion rings comment was aimed at me. Here was I feeling all mortally wounded lol. I really must get some sleep.

ChiyoDad
04-15-2010, 04:15 PM
There simply aren't any non-novelty-act uke players that have ever reached a critical mass of fame.
Novelty acts also seem to be a big part of the ukulele scene on the mainland.

Most other musical instrument festivals will have established, popular and technically brilliant performers filling all the performance and lecture slots. Perish the thought that there should be a novelty act like Naked Cowboy at a folk guitar festival.

At ukulele festivals that I've seen outside of Hawaii, it's the norm to have at least a couple of novelty acts. They're fun. They're cute (just like Kate Micucci). They seem to be the norm. But they also stand out and the casual visitor will hold that mental image and associate it with the instrument.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fe2yTyN_e6A

04-15-2010, 05:24 PM
I knew a long time ago the "aloha spirit" gets me no where.

Seeso, might as well ban me now, bc if dude wants to throw shit abt my intelligence expect me to throw shit back. Yeah, dude I'm proud of my `olelo, so I can't possibly comprehend my colonizer's language.

I honestly learned to temper my bite in protecting my language. Some battles weren't worth fighting. I've stayed away from the repeated debates about pronounciation. I knew I couldn't change the world, but when someone states they cringe when they hear it pronounced the hawaiian way and then mocks the correct pronounciation of `u to sound like the noise of a gibbon, I know its time to just smh and walk away.

Actually no need ban me, I'm pau with this. **** that ha`ole.

live2tivo
04-15-2010, 06:03 PM
I've had the same thing happen to me! Someone said, and I quote, "eww please learn guitar that thing looks like a toy and sounds like 1"
I replied that I have a guitar but much prefer the ukulele and he proceeded to give me a guitar lesson in poorly-spelled YouTube comments!

At first, I was furious, but now I just laugh at how ridiculous it is. Some people just wish they were cool enough to play the ukulele!

seeso
04-15-2010, 06:08 PM
I don't think I need to explain why this thread is closed.

We need to learn to address each other with respect around here. This isn't freakin' 4chan, this is UU.