What's up with the new KoAloha D-VI

chrisj893

Reaction score
Anyone have, or played one of these. They look beautiful, would be interested in hearing more about them. Also, are there any other "uke-guitars" like this out there?

Thanks Everyone!

Would be nice to know scale length and width at the nut. Did not find it in their ad.
Just too bad it's got so many strings.

Anyone have, or played one of these. They look beautiful, would be interested in hearing more about them. Also, are there any other "uke-guitars" like this out there?

I don't think it is that new. It has been around at least a couple of years. I know Kala makes a similar model "uke-guitar" as you called it. I think Kanilea has made some but I cannot find any info. If you wanted something with 6 strings like a guitar but smaller you could also try a Tayor baby 3/4 guitar, Yamaha and Martin also make smaller guitars that might be similar but I do not know. They would probably need some adjustments to sound ukey.

I like mine, have had it almost a year. I played one of the Kalas and it was nice, but not a D-VI. (also only1/3 the price).
I have heard good things about the Yamaha GL-1 (not sold in the U.S.), but never played one.

The Kala has a nut width that's slightly under 1-3/4". I think the D-VI would be a better choice even though it costs more.

Mele makes a "Guitarlele" with a 20" scale on a baritone body...Nice...!!! Highly recommend it for someone who wants a small guitar-like ukulele sounding instrument.

If you really interested in guitarlele, there's 3 options. You go with the Koaloha D-VI, the kanile'a GL6 or you go the custom way.

I have to admit that I do own a DVI, GL6 and will get my custom very soon. The DVI and GL6 are both very nice instruments, They are just different animal to me....different scale and different kind of sound presentation... But they both are very good.

I switch back and forth and really enjoy both of them. I would say the DVI is more uke-friendly since it's really a tenor body with a tenor neck but wider so it can handle 6 strings... So if yuo're used with tenor uke, you will find the DVI to be more friendly I think.

but if you want a guitarlele that plays beautifully in standard tuning, like a six-string bari---???? the only post i could find on the mele said the owner was re-stringing and tuning up--does the mele not sound optimal in standard? sounds like i'm out of luck, because standard tuning is what i'm after in a guitarlele....

but if you want a guitarlele that plays beautifully in standard tuning, like a six-string bari---???? the only post i could find on the mele said the owner was re-stringing and tuning up--does the mele not sound optimal in standard? sounds like i'm out of luck, because standard tuning is what i'm after in a guitarlele....

more than likely it is just the owner's personal preference. Tuning is all about what you like. I tuned my Mele 6 string with a low g and a low a. different but i liked it.

That post was probably mine. My Mele Guitarlele sounds better to me tuned up to ADGCEA but it also sounded very good tuned standard EADGBE. Higher tuning is my personal preference. Hope this helps.

I personnaly think that the body of the instrument is not big enough to sound good in a EADGBE tuning, but in ADGCEA it sounds very nice.

There's also the fact that the scale is not quite made to fit a EADGBE tuning, so the strings tend to be evry slack in that tuning.

Top Bottom