Sorry Pro Artes, Blackline is the way for me.

Dane

Reaction score
I play a solid Mahogany Tenor, I just installed my mi-si pickup today, and then later my (G) string broke, so I replaced it with what I had available (A fremont Blackline) I used to only string it with blacklines. I realized how much better the sustain and how it doesn't sacrifice volume at the high frets, so I replaced all the pro-artes. I did not have an A string however, so I used a worth brown A string that I had.

I'd have to say that pro-artes were nice for low frets and chords that don't reach up the fretboard, but I really missed the smooth thin strings, and they just sound miles better to me.

I just had show my appreciation for blacklines, I don't think enough people try them out.

I agree, that is what I use on my Kamaka...I am going to try a low g Blackline on it next.

I agree, that is what I use on my Kamaka...I am going to try a low g Blackline on it next.

I didn't even know they had more than 1 type, you learn something new every day! I have never used any string sets with wounds strings, maybe that will be my next thing to try.

I use Blacklines on my KoAloha superconcert and Pineapple Sunday, and I love the way they sound (and look).

I have Blacklines on my Lanikai and I love them. Although if I don't play on them at least every other day, they kill my fingers.

I didn't even know they had more than 1 type, you learn something new every day! I have never used any string sets with wounds strings, maybe that will be my next thing to try.

That is the beauty of it, the low g is unwound. I hate the squeak of unwound strings so when I go low I opt for Worth or Fremont.

Just put Fremont Blackline HT on my Kamaka. Wow, what a difference from the stock strings. Love the sweet more balanced sound and the thin diameter of the strings.

In general, I think there exists a tonal bias towards the loud (or perceived as loud) not necessarily better (on every instrument) approach with sweeter more balanced something people grow into (or maybe not). This bias/mentality is used by companies to sell instruments, esp. lower/modest priced ukuleles (ex. Kalas) but carries over IMO into higher-end purchases (as if trying to make a high-end solid mostly louder is the way to go). The "need-to-be-blown-away" often passes for high-taste among some...and it enters into string considerations.

To put things in perspective, there's a post on You Tube where the guy delivers a fingerstyle rendition making his Kamaka pineapple sound like a jackhammer. No thanks, if that's as "good as it gets" through technique and string choice.

In general, thinner diameter equals more articulate (sorry Aquila fans of which I am one in some applications). Perceived loudness/voicing/string separateness: decibels or how articulate?

Last edited:
well another thing I like about the thinner strings, and especially blacklines is that you can play them very very quiet, and still have the song be recognizable, I found that with pro-artes and aquillas and such it just kind of drowns the notes together.

I will just tack my question on to this thread.
I like the sound so far of my new Blacklines, but I am surprised at the stretch happening.
I am used to Aquillas seeming to grow inches, but I did not think Flurocarbon stretched.
I put a set of Worth Browns on my DaSilva and it settled almost immediately.
How long has it taken for your strings to settle in ?

Top Bottom