Lanikai Lu - 21

paddy2010

Reaction score
Got a new uke recently

A lanikai lu - 21

anybody else have any comments to make on it who has one or has seen one?

Sounds good for the price I paid which was $50

it is the best IMHO for the money. I bought one for my daughter on the Amazon Gold Box deals. They had it for $35, and I just couldnt pass that up. It is a really nice little Uke for the money, and I have seen Ukes not as nice for near $80. So, for a Uke in the under $100 class, I don't think you can go wrong with it...

Enjoy

Good looking, good sounding entry level ukes. And they come with Aquilas!
We have two in this house. My husband's LU-21C which we paid a little too much for last summer, and thanks to the recent Amazon deal I scored the soprano on the cheap.
His wound up being our ukulele gateway drug and we still love it. I don't know how much the quality improves in Lanikais as you go pricier. But the 21s are a good show. I think they'll hold up well and are one of the more attractive "beater" options out there.

brilliant uke for the money

arghhh.. i paid $150 hahah !! for my LU-21t

both seeso and guting have one.. BY THE WAY, that's why I bought one because of Seeso and guting.

awesome ukulele... i play it more than my kpk

I bought one this time last year, but just didn't get on with it at all. Ended up buying a Brueko, which was nice, but not a patch on my Ohana 35sg. In fact, I've not fancied any uke since buying the Ohana, just something about it. Hopefully the Mainland I ordered today will be just as good, if not better, otherwise I've just squandered £160. >_<

I just got one for my daughter off ebay "as new' with a padded Hohner case for £40.00. She's happy as a pig in muck!! The only thing is it came with Hilo black strings which iv never heard of and doesn't sound that good, almost out of tune (even though iv tuned it). Think i will have to give Worth strings a try on it maybe.

it is the best IMHO for the money. I bought one for my daughter on the Amazon Gold Box deals. They had it for $35, and I just couldnt pass that up. It is a really nice little Uke for the money, and I have seen Ukes not as nice for near $80. So, for a Uke in the under $100 class, I don't think you can go wrong with it...

Enjoy

I got mine in that same Gold Box Deal, I'm sure! Right after that amazon.com had padded gig bags at 50% off! So DH got me TWO!

The Lanakai LU-21 is the only ukulele I have that looks traditional. All my others have some kind of design or something unusual about them. It's nice to have just one that looks traditional and has a nice sound. :)

CountryMouse

yeah, I got that hard/soft case that they listed right after the Uke. Paid $19 for it, when I just bought one a week before the Gold Box deal for twice that, lol.. But I couldn't pass the case up either for that, they are really nice, secure cases.

As you can see from my sig, LU-21T was my first ukulele. I bought it with a gig bag for $140 I think 5 years ago. I still play it a lot, still sounds good, and it is the ukulele I take everywhere, can leave in the car if I have to, and I won't cry if it gets damaged because I can quickly and relatively painlessly go out and get another one. After 5 years it looks, plays and sounds exactly the same as when I bought it. I recommend it.

I got it for 50 bucks too! I love the thing to death. As far as sound goes, it's probably one of the nicer ones for 50-70 dollars.

Have played and have come to prefer the LU series over the Kala "mahog" series...and wish I'd opted for the LU's coming out of the gate...

That's OK. Picked up a Lanikai S-T yesterday...can't go back in time but forward...

Possible context for the OP's inquiry: Kalas are NOT hands down superior at every price point...and yes, Lanikais do get better at "higher prices" (ex. Spruce Lanikais...) that remain quite affordable.

Last edited:
Top Bottom