Steel strings for a concert resonator?

byjimini

Reaction score
All the strings on eBay are for DGBE tuning - I have an Ashbury Resonator with Aquila strings, but I don't think they do it justice. I want to put steel strings on it, but can't seem to find any for GCEA?

Any recommendations?

No quick recommendations but some words of caution. Steel strings will exert more downward pressure on the cone than nylon strings if tuned the same. I don't think the cone will fail but the additional downward pressure could be enough to screw up the action, buzzing being the probable result. If that occurs, you will have to have the action reset on your instrument which is not an easy task with resonators. Another thing to consider is the neck. If the neck is not reinforced, it may not be able to stand up to the additional tension of the steel strings.

Also, when you change out the strings, change them out one at a time and bring the new string up to pitch before you change out the next string. This procedure will keep downward pressure on the cone at all times. Resonator cones don't like to be completely relaxed and then tightened back up repeatedly. It's not good for them so to speak.

Good luck...!!!

Bloody hell, sounds a bit iffy! I may go with the plan B and just trade it in for a better spec.

Many thanks for the reply. :)

Top Bottom