Visited Stewart MacDonald yesterday :-)

dave g

Reaction score
Was in Athens yesterday morning anyway so I stopped in to pick some stuff up (and thus save the shipping cost). Unfortunately they don't do tours, although it sounded like if one did some advance wheedling they might make an exception. The wood shop is in a different location "out in the country" somewhere near by - that would probably be the most interesting thing to see. Nice people...

Very cool. I'd be macluvin' it. But I'd spend too much money.

As I understand it, they still stock celluloid binding for pickup but wont deliver it due to the hazardous materials status. I've been thinking of driving over there sometime if that is the case.

Andrew

As I understand it, they still stock celluloid binding for pickup but wont deliver it due to the hazardous materials status. I've been thinking of driving over there sometime if that is the case.

Andrew

I am curious why you want to use a plastic that has a life of ~50 years. The stuff will crack and yellow with age and eventually fall apart.

I'll choose curly maple with ebony purfiling, but I like wood. I want to use something that can last for 200 years.

I am curious why you want to use a plastic that has a life of ~50 years. The stuff will crack and yellow with age and eventually fall apart.

I'll choose curly maple with ebony purfiling, but I like wood. I want to use something that can last for 200 years.

Because I like the look of toroise shell binding. My mandolin is 91 years old and the binding is fine however the wood binding on my 1933 OM shrank and pulled loose. I used rosewood on the last two ukes and OM and am currently completing a maple and koa bound mandolin, so I consider myself to be an equal oppurtunity binder. :)

andrew

My wife went to OU in Athens. She wants to move back there. Not much to Stew-Mac, basically a waiting room with a stack of catalogs and order forms, and a phone. Nice old building, though. Next time you are in Athens, try to see if you can visit Dan Erlewine's shop. That is far more interesting that Stew-Mac's waiting room...

Top Bottom