New video up on Youtube, featuring Seeso!

tad

Reaction score
I work at the Center for History and New Media, at George Mason University. We've got a project at the Center called the Mozilla Digital Memory Bank. We're trying to collect accounts of user experiences from people who use Firefox and other Mozilla products, in an attempt to collect some of the history of Open Source software for future scholars.

A couple weeks ago, I posted looking for some people to contribute music for Youtube spots to promote the project, trying to generate more submissions. A couple people were generous enough to volunteer, including Seeso, whose music appears in our first promotional spot:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnZNCuhjrUM

There's also a longer version, which I think is more fun, but tries some people's patience, which can be found here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qoO6jCUi_Y

I'm hoping to do a couple more spots, using music from more UU members. I figure while I'm promoting our research, I might as well spread the ukulele gospel and get a bit more exposure to the talented people here.

Hope you all enjoy. If anyone else would like to offer music to use in later additional vids, please contact me.

Also, if you're an avid Firefox user, please think about talking about it and submitting it to the Digital Memory Bank. We're looking for written accounts, videos, photos, ANYTHING, from users, developers, anyone who uses Mozilla products and has something to say about it.

--------------------------

[Mods: lemme apologize in advance if this is in the wrong section. I wanted to get this announcement as much exposure as possible, and since this isn't a performance video necessarily, it didn't fit with a lot of the other stuff in the videos section... Feel free to move it, if you feel it ought to be elsewhere.]

hahaha this is cool :D Whats so different between firefox and ie?? I only use it for sites so it doesn't really bother me.. but if theres something major.. UU will be my homepage for ff(firefox) instead of ie ^^

Hey, cool! Awesome to hear my music in that vid. Thanks for that, Tad.

I'll see what I can do about a Firefox testimonial of some sort. Maybe some more music, too.

hahaha this is cool :D Whats so different between firefox and ie?? I only use it for sites so it doesn't really bother me.. but if theres something major.. UU will be my homepage for ff(firefox) instead of ie ^^

I'm not a representative of Mozilla or Firefox, by any means, and not trying to "convert people" to FF.

That said, I am a FF user, and many of the reasons can be found at this roundup of various reviews (The reviews themselves can be found at the end of the article.)

Generally, Microsoft has been playing catch-up with browsers since they released IE 1, trying to catch up with Netscape. This has, in my book, sort of resulted in a generally subpar product that's only really survived 'cause it comes preinstalled on something like 80% of all computers.

I'm not a representative of Mozilla or Firefox, by any means, and not trying to "convert people" to FF.

That said, I am a FF user, and many of the reasons can be found at this roundup of various reviews (The reviews themselves can be found at the end of the article.)

Generally, Microsoft has been playing catch-up with browsers since they released IE 1, trying to catch up with Netscape. This has, in my book, sort of resulted in a generally subpar product that's only really survived 'cause it comes preinstalled on something like 80% of all computers.

And it allows incorrect html and doesn't like to play well with the W3C recommendations.

Firefox will allow non-compliant html as well nowadays, so that's also a shame. And newer versions of Firefox, at least on my Macs, is flaky as hell, compared to Safari - but I'd like to point out that the two are kind of related. (AFAIK, Safari is based on KBrowser?)

Props to Seeso - I admire when folks can put chords together to make something cool. I can't. :uhoh: :rock:

And it allows incorrect html and doesn't like to play well with the W3C recommendations.

Firefox will allow non-compliant html as well nowadays, so that's also a shame. And newer versions of Firefox, at least on my Macs, is flaky as hell, compared to Safari - but I'd like to point out that the two are kind of related. (AFAIK, Safari is based on KBrowser?)

Props to Seeso - I admire when folks can put chords together to make something cool. I can't. :uhoh: :rock:

Allowing noncompliant HTML & CSS isn't half as much of an annoyance as IE's refusal to actually do what it's told. Allowing non-compliant code is a minor annoyance, compared to IE's unwillingness to do what the code says.

I'm not a Mac user, but I've just never liked the Safari interface-- just don't care for the way it looks & feels. Plus, I've found, when doing side-by-side comparisons, that it sometimes has very different ways of interpreting color values.

Last edited:
I think the color codes have improved, but as for the interface, I've been using themes for so long that I've forgotten what that brushed metal look looks like. Firefox and Safari look very much the same under my current theme. :)

I like to use Firefox but I've noticed that if I leave the mac on for a few weeks and leave Firefox running, it just eats up resources and I end up with perpetually spinning hd and the beach ball of death.

I'm not being down on Firefox because this leak happens over weeks as opposed to minutes for IE. ;) Also lots of forums use code that works best in Firefox.

I think the color codes have improved, but as for the interface, I've been using themes for so long that I've forgotten what that brushed metal look looks like. Firefox and Safari look very much the same under my current theme. :)

I like to use Firefox but I've noticed that if I leave the mac on for a few weeks and leave Firefox running, it just eats up resources and I end up with perpetually spinning hd and the beach ball of death.

I'm not being down on Firefox because this leak happens over weeks as opposed to minutes for IE. ;) Also lots of forums use code that works best in Firefox.

I figured you weren't downing on FF-- I don't know anyone who knows what "W3C compliant" means who wouldn't prefer the Fox to IE-- just some of 'em use Opera, Camino, Safari, etc.

If you have the time, one of these days, I'd love to know if you have the same problem with FF3-- from what I understand, it's much less of a resource-hog...

yeah i know, i was just wondering ^^ bsides its only a program not like religion etc.. just wanted to know differences

yeah i know, i was just wondering ^^ bsides its only a program not like religion etc.. just wanted to know differences

It tends to run faster, smoother than IE. It crashes better and freezes up less often. (By "crashes better" I mean they have a feature that restores your session if it crashes, so you have whatever tabs there again, as soon as you reopen FF.) It's Open Source, free, and has a bazillion extensions.

If I sound defensive, it's just because when I showed this video to a couple friend, one of them asked why the school was making ads for Firefox-- we're not. We're just trying to get user responses for a database for future historians of open source technology.

It tends to run faster, smoother than IE. It crashes better and freezes up less often. (By "crashes better" I mean they have a feature that restores your session if it crashes, so you have whatever tabs there again, as soon as you reopen ....

I don't like this feature because half the time FF crashes on me, it's because of one of the websites I'm on. I always select "Start new Session".

It's Open Source, free, and
has a bazillion extensions.

I do like this. There are some really helpful add-ons. However, there's a point where you add so many extensions, FF starts bogging down.

I don't like this feature because half the time FF crashes on me, it's because of one of the websites I'm on. I always select "Start new Session".

Well, I've been known to do the same. But usually when it crashes because of a site, it crashes while loading said site. In which case it's totally fine to restore session, 'cause it'll take you to the last one it loaded fully-- the site BEFORE the one that messed up your firefox.

I do like this. There are some really helpful add-ons. However, there's a point where you add so many extensions, FF starts bogging down.

I use downloadhelper, firebug, the developer tools, adblock plus, foxytunes and stylish.

You can get bogged down, but I can't stand using the net without some of these-- ABP is the only thing that makes sites like MySpace tolerable. The web developer tools are *invaluable* for anyone who does web design. And Downloadhelper is just the bomb diggity.

I use downloadhelper, firebug, the developer tools, adblock plus, foxytunes and stylish.

You can get bogged down, but I can't stand using the net without some of these-- ABP is the only thing that makes sites like MySpace tolerable. The web developer tools are *invaluable* for anyone who does web design. And Downloadhelper is just the bomb diggity.

You're a lot more disciplined than I am. When I first started looking up extensions I was like my wife at the mall with her daddy's credit card.

Top Bottom