PDA

View Full Version : D Chord

Olivia
04-15-2010, 01:33 PM
Sorry if this has already been posted, I looked but didn't see it. Anyways, I've been having trouble with the D chord. Is there any way to play it without using 3 strings? Probably not, but just thought I'd ask. I can't seem to only have my finger press 3 strings, I always hit the fourth too or only hit two.. Thanks(:

Pukulele Pete
04-15-2010, 01:54 PM
I think it just takes lots of practice. You will need to learn how to do that if you want to play an E chord and many more.

fahrner
04-15-2010, 01:59 PM
Sorry if this has already been posted, I looked but didn't see it. Anyways, I've been having trouble with the D chord. Is there any way to play it without using 3 strings? Probably not, but just thought I'd ask. I can't seem to only have my finger press 3 strings, I always hit the fourth too or only hit two.. Thanks(:
How are you trying to play it? In other words, which fingers on which strings?

Olivia
04-15-2010, 02:03 PM
I'm doing the third fret on strings E,C, and G.

fahrner
04-15-2010, 02:08 PM
But which fingers?
Index finger on the C, middle finger on the G and third finger on the E?

Olivia
04-15-2010, 02:12 PM
No, I use two fingers. Index on C and middle on G and E. My fingers are too big to do all three!

Ukulele JJ
04-15-2010, 02:12 PM
Lots of options here. You could use three fingers (one on each string). You could use two fingers (one on one string and cover two strings with the other finger).

Or you could do what I often do, which is play it as 2225 instead of 2220. Barre the second fret entirely with your index finger, then hit the first string, fifth fret with your pinkie.

Then there's the chord substitution trick. Try a D7 (2223), a "Hawaiian" D7 (2020), a Dsus2 (2200), a D(add11) (0220), or a D6 (2222). All are easier to play, IMHO, and one of them might sound cool in the song you're playing.

JJ

fahrner
04-15-2010, 02:17 PM
Well, try it.
Put your index finger on the C string, back it up from the fret just a little bit and then put your middle and third finger over the top, just in front of your index finger.
Using the tips of your finger it should work.

Olivia
04-15-2010, 02:20 PM
Thanks(: I'll work on it. I'll also try some of the chord substitutions!

Jason Paul
04-15-2010, 04:39 PM
I also often just play the 2225 variation.

However, for the "normal" 2220 D, I sometimes use my middle finger on the G and C, and ring finger on the E. I think this is easier/more comfortable than using the index and middle.

Sometimes I even use only my index finger across the G, C, and E strings at the second fret. This is a bit harder and you have to bend your finger back a bit to leave the E string open. Or, you can just be OK with having that index finger touch and mute the E string.

Jason