What Is It W/Fleas & Flukes

mangorockfish

Reaction score
Pictures are all I've ever seen of f/fs. I don't know anything about them except that they have plastic bodys. Is that correct? They are kind of cool looking in their own way, but I can't see paying over $200 or close to $300 for a plastic bodied uke. Would someone please enlighten me about them.? Please don't take this as a slam, I just don't understand and would really like to. There is probably not either one in the state of Arkansas, so playing one here is out of the question. Maybe someday. Help me understand.

Indestructible, Loud, Great Tone, Low Action, Spot on Intonation, fun Fun FUN!!!... etc.

JT

For my first Uke I took the plunge and got a Concert Tiki Flea. And have never looked back. Still my favorite. (have a Kala Tenor, Applause Soprano, Tenor Sonny Daze CBU, And a few othere lying around, but the Flea is my Main Uke. (for now) Just Fun and easy to play.

JT

Last edited:
I've got the bug recently, and I'm just itchin to try out some tenor flukes, and maybe some fleas. Is there much difference between the two?

And the reason I'm interested, is because I have heard some great tone out of them (flukes, not heard any fleas) and because I'd like something I can just take anywhere with me without a worry about dings and scratches. On their site it even says you can paint your own fret markers on the polycarbonate (hope I got the word right) fretboard with auto paints and nail polish I believe it was. I think they are very cool, and I'd like to try some out. Maybe soon =)

I have a Fluke and a Flea, both concert size. I LOVE the sound/tone. The Fluke has an especially nice round deep tone. No worries about setup--the action is nice and low. You never have to worry about low humidity making the frets pop out or anything, since they are part of the molded fretboard. The tops of the Flukes and Fleas are laminated Australian hoop pine. They look great, they sound great, they are fun. The only drawback that some don't like about them is the friction tuners. You can get peghed gear tuners now, for $69 extra, but I'm dealing pretty well with the friction tuners.

I love the Flukes and Fleas so much I just bought another concert Fluke tonight! It's a wild red cowboy design! I am so excited! I am trying to decide what strings I want to put on this one. I have Hilo black nylon ones on my custom Island design Fluke. It has a nice soft mellow sound, perfect for my voice. I think probably either Kala Reds or Ko’olau Golds for the cowboy. :)

CountryMouse

When I tried a Flea for the first time in a store, the sound was so rich, and playability was incredibly smooth.
I just had to get one as soon as I could afford one with all the upgrades (peghead tuners, electric, rosewood fretboard).

It should be here by Monday!

Actually the only Fleas and Flukes in the $200-300 range are the upgraded ones with rosewood fingerboards, I believe. I guess Flukes are a bit over $200, but the basic Flea is $179. They sound really nice and are pretty indestructible.

The normal design-less flukes go for $199 initial (Concert and then + $20 Tenor) on their website.

+ $79 For rosewood fretboard and aquillas
+ $69 for the geared tuner

They have other things like pickups and stuff too but you can go look yourself =)

I'm going to see if there's any in town locally.

mangorockfish:

Check out the many You Tube postings for a listen. But nothing beats trying one.

Don't fixate too much on them being plastic, or at least don't assume that plastic = inferior sound.

For the past couple months I've been getting together weekly with a ukulele club made up of other local players, many of whom have much more expensive ukuleles than me. I've been consistently surprised and impressed by how good my Flea and Fluke sound in comparison. Frankly the only uke I've heard that sounded better was one member's Koaloha, which probably cost 5 times more than my Fluke.

Caveat: Strings make a HUGE difference. The stock black strings that come on these tend to sound pretty dull and quiet, at least to me. But play a Flea with some Aquilas, or a Fluke with some Worth Clears, and I'll think you'll see "what it is with Fleas and Flukes." :)

Easy action, reliable and consistent, an addictive tone, loads of volume - self standing. Oh,yeah - FUN!

You can kill a zombie with a fluke and then play a victory song. You can't get much cooler than that.

Great intonation.

And this special feature not found on too many instruments - you don't have to work hard at getting sound from them.
Some ukes make you really plead and coax and go to a lot of effort to get the best sound - but not with Flukes and Fleas

Built with QUALITY in the U.S. of freakin' A.!! :D

You can kill a zombie with a fluke and then play a victory song. You can't get much cooler than that.

Ahahahaha! I haven't had to try out that feature yet! "All we wanna do is eat your brains!" :p

(and wow, I didn't know when you started following me on Twitter that I already know you from HERE! LOL!)

CountryMouse

Ahahahaha! I haven't had to try out that feature yet! "All we wanna do is eat your brains!" :p

(and wow, I didn't know when you started following me on Twitter that I already know you from HERE! LOL!)

CountryMouse

I'm stalking you mousie...I subscribed to your youtube channel awhile back too... :p

I've just started using my Twitter account again so I figured I would follow some ukers. At least you guys won't mock me for lusting after 'tiny guitars.'

The only uke that can stand up by itself.

I'm stalking you mousie...I subscribed to your youtube channel awhile back too... :p

I've just started using my Twitter account again so I figured I would follow some ukers. At least you guys won't mock me for lusting after 'tiny guitars.'

Ah, so you are! No problem! :) Of course we don't make fun! Ukuleles are the GREATEST!

CountryMouse

Top Bottom