Bought another Fluke!

CountryMouse

Reaction score
eBay is evil...well, eBay is wonderful! I'd been eyeing this red cowboy Fluke (concert) over on The Flea Market and also had been watching one on eBay, brand-new. Tonight I got an email from eBay saying an item I had been watching, that had ended, was relisted. And there in the email was a nice large photo of that gorgeous (to ME) Fluke!

So I'm foregoing my discretionary money (aka allowance) for next month and getting it NOW! $168, with the gig bag and free shipping.

I can't believe it--my tenth ukulele! But I LOVE the sound of the Flukes and Fleas. And I wanna do cowboy songs on it! I mean, I do have the little Lanakai LU-21 soprano, which is a nice plain brown, and would do well for cowboy songs...but this red cowboy Fluke has been CALLING me and I finally gave in! :p

It should arrive some time next week. Eeeeeee! :smileybounce:

CountryMouse

Awesome! Congrats. I love my tenor mango Fluke, and totally want one of the design ones. I think I'd get the black one with flames. Please post (or tweet!) some pictures.

Cheers,

Awesome! Congrats. I love my tenor mango Fluke, and totally want one of the design ones. I think I'd get the black one with flames. Please post (or tweet!) some pictures.

Cheers,

Thanks! I need to update my photo album here (and on Facebook!) of my various ukes! They're all so pretty, and I love them all! So when I get the red cowboy Fluke, I'll just do photos of all the ones that are not in my album(s) yet. But I'll post pics of the new one in this thread too. I hope my sweet girlie Island design won't feel jealous or sad...I don't think so because they look so different. The red cowboy Fluke is for very-young-tomboy-me who wanted to be cowBOY (not a cowgirl!). :)

CountryMouse

Congrats on your new Fluke Ms. Mouse. I have played that particular uke and it sounds like a typical Fluke, excellent volume and sustain. The first thing that I would do though is change those Hilo strings to either Worths or Aquillas. As we say in Red Sox nation, Cowboy Up!

Congrats! I've been watching a Fluke on eBay myself...but I need to wait for my refund.

The cowboy Flukes make my heart go pitter-pat. Especially the red one. Nice score!

Congrats on your new Fluke Ms. Mouse. I have played that particular uke and it sounds like a typical Fluke, excellent volume and sustain. The first thing that I would do though is change those Hilo strings to either Worths or Aquillas. As we say in Red Sox nation, Cowboy Up!

Thanks! I was trying to decide what strings to put on it. I do love the Black Hilos on my Island design Fluke--the soft sound suits my voice. But I want a different sound on this one. I'm not sure about Aquilas...and I don't think I have any Worth Clears on hand. I have some Ko'olau Golds, though, and was thinking of trying them. I am not going for volume so much as something that sounds a bit different than the Hilos.

Any other thoughts on strings? I'll eventually try other brands on the cowboy Fluke, I'm sure. I know I'm gonna give in and put Kala Reds on it at some point; but I have Kala Reds on my Denim Flea right now. :)

CountryMouse

Thanks, everyone! I thought I was the only gal interested in the cowboy Fluke--good to know I'm not alone! And RED! :)

CountryMouse

Nice job of getting the red cowboy uke. I've got a EMENEE cowboy guitar I found at Goodwill> check youtube to see it played with the TV Pal uke.

I'm quite interested in getting a Fluke or Flea myself but every time I Google it I get a few retailers but can't find the manufacturers site (maybe to do with being in UK). Could someone please post a direct link for me?

Also does anyone know if they make a Tenor with a pickup?

Lastly, I heard sooooo many people recommend them based on their tone and playability, but I've also heard many people say that a decent Oook must be made from solid (preferably Polynesian) wood. So how is it that an Ook made from plastic and laminates sounds so good?

Lastly, I heard sooooo many people recommend them based on their tone and playability, but I've also heard many people say that a decent Oook must be made from solid (preferably Polynesian) wood. So how is it that an Ook made from plastic and laminates sounds so good?

Think of it this way.
There's some really good singers out there. Good or bad, not all singers have the exact same voice. Or the same style. Nor is any artist to absolutely everybody's liking. But most of us like the sound of more than just one particular voice.

I'm quite interested in getting a Fluke or Flea myself but every time I Google it I get a few retailers but can't find the manufacturers site (maybe to do with being in UK). Could someone please post a direct link for me?

Also does anyone know if they make a Tenor with a pickup?

Here is the manufacturers site:

http://www.fleamarketmusic.com/default.asp

Some people like the sound of the Flea and Fluke, some don't. I think everyone loves how easy they are to play. My plastic fretboard Flea is definitely my easiest uke to play, and has spot-on intonation all over the fretboard. I think my wooden ukes sound better, but I often reach for the Flea due to how easy it is to play. As far as I know, they don't make a tenor, but they do make the Fluke with a tenor neck, and recently even added the Flea with a tenor neck.

Last edited:
I know the Kala Reds will look awesome on the red cowboy uke. I might even try mixing black strings and red strings for visual effect. I am not sure how it would sound though. Then the question... alternating red and black strings, or two red and two black next to each other?
–Lori

Top Bottom