Kaki King ROCKED a uke on Fallon last night!

portlandjosh

Reaction score
Did anyone see Kaki King absolutely rock out with a tenor Ovation uke last night on Fallon? It was awesome. I haven't found a clip, but you can see the whole episode and fast forward to the end here on Hulu.

Cheers!

Omigosh! I love Kaki King. That was awesome; thanks for the heads up, Josh!

I'm really surprised she decided to move away from pure instrumentals, but that is a-okay with me. Especially since she's added a uke to her list of instruments ;).

What was the instrument the one fella was playing (no, not the drummer, the other guy)? I've never seen it before, and it looks super neat.

I don't know what it was, but it was odd. He was in to it, whatever it was. She is an Ovation artist, so I'm thinking that uke was custom for her. It looks just like the custom Adamas that they released, all black with the bubbly sound holes.

For those who aren't aware of Kaki King, she is a brilliant guitarist. She's a Jake on the acoustic guitar. I kind of like her rocking stuff, though her earlier albums that are instrumental are also awesome. If you can find it, you must get the vinyl EP she did with the Mountain Goats called "Black Pear Tree." It is outstanding.

Cheers.

I don't know what it was, but it was odd. He was in to it, whatever it was.

Reminded me of an Akai digital saxaphone (my son plays sax...), and sure enough, it's an Akai EvI 1000

EVI1000.jpg

I'm not familiar w/ Kaki King, but she must be tiny. That tenor looked huge...until Jimmy Falon stood next to her. And how 'bout that thumb nail? And the drummer doin' the one handed thing? All around, an excellent performance. I may have to go find some Kaki King!

~Michael

Awesome video!

For those unfamiliar with Kaki, she's a prominent guitarist. She occasionally employs a style called percussive guitar.

Two of the more popular percussive guitarists these days are Andy Mckee and Vicky Genfan.

Thanks for the videos man, I like McKees "Keys the the hovercar".

After a while though the percussive guitar players start to sound a little repetitive to me

After a while though the percussive guitar players start to sound a little repetitive to me
Yeah. It was very interesting when it was new. These days, it seems like everyone is doing it.

I was going to post a vid of Rodrigo y Gabriela but I think we've had enough whackin' and slappin'. ;)

Did anyone see Kaki King absolutely rock out with a tenor Ovation uke last night on Fallon? It was awesome. I haven't found a clip, but you can see the whole episode and fast forward to the end here on Hulu.

Cheers!

Clicked on the link, but sadly it doesn't work from outside the USA.

I did I did! It was playing while I was in the kitchen and when Jimmy announced her, I ran in, only to squeal in excitement when I saw that she was rockin' the uke.

Thanks for the posts...

Nice to see a rhythm instrument (guitar or uke) played liked one.

Aside: Ovation guitars in general are one of the most underrated instruments out there. In my experience, overall, they are still the best option for live/plugged in performance. People talk "looks" "slippery back" yeah...but how about cutting through...

MIDI Wind Controller

It's a MIDI wind controller. It can play virtually any thing that a keyboard can play, but is made for anyone that is either prefers the nuances available through breath control or would rather be playing a wind instrument. Someone said it was a "Nyle Steiner MIDI EVI,":
MIDI Wind Controller

Aside: Ovation guitars in general are one of the most underrated instruments out there. In my experience, overall, they are still the best option for live/plugged in performance. People talk "looks" "slippery back" yeah...but how about cutting through...

I agree. My dad gigged with an Adamas (top of the line Ovation) for many years. It was an absolutely amazing sounding guitar onstage.

I'm not familiar w/ Kaki King, but she must be tiny. That tenor looked huge...until Jimmy Falon stood next to her.

She's just barely over five feet tall. I was going to comment and say that it looked more like she was playing a baritone, but then I remembered how small she actually is.

Just based on your comment (and maybe the video too), I'm going to check these out. I don't know why I've avoided Ovation instruments for so long, but methinks it is time to open my mind a bit.

It's a MIDI wind controller. It can play virtually any thing that a keyboard can play, but is made for anyone that is either prefers the nuances available through breath control or would rather be playing a wind instrument. [/URL]

Oh cool, thanks for that! (And thanks for fueling my Eccentric Instrument Acquisition Syndrome ;).)

I saw Kaki King something like five years, but haven't really followed her. She was doing her solo guitar stuff, which I respect, but after a while the instrumentals do get repetitive. So it's cool to see her do some more structured stuff. And I love the uke in a full rock setting. And it takes guts to play that Ovation live, my Applause never stayed in tune.

It's funny she wasn't doing her usual percussive thing, because my friend actually plays a percussive uke style he developed.
http://ukulelecabaret.com/michaelwagner

And that guy to the right is clearly playing an electronic bong.

Top Bottom