I dont even play guitar anymore

cornfedgroove

Reaction score
This isnt strictly true, I still play it about 1-3x / week, but only when I have to. I never pull it out at home...its big, bulky and not near as easy to "cuddle" with.

Any other people find themselves putting their other instruments down w/o really knowing it

Been playing guitar 45 years, playing uke since Sept. Really no desire to play guitar anymore, last time I picked up a guitar was to sell it.

It cycles through. Right now, more uke. Not so one month ago. Keep a hand on both.

I teach guitar. That's when I play it. Other than that, it's the ukulele. And the flugelhorn, when I'm feeling more masochistic.

I played piano for a looong time, then I played guitar for a while, and ever since I started with my Uke, I really can't find the desire to use either of the other two anymore.

<<<<<Guilty

I could never be w/o a guitar because I really do love it. I will "keep a hand on both" like harpdog said. I have up to this point tried to keep one of each of the instruments I noodle with, but I've found that I dont cycle through them all. consequently....

sold the electric guitar
sold the banjo
selling the mandolin
selling the mountain dulcimer

i played guitar when i was younger until i enlisted. Since ive held my first uke, ive never touched my gitter. Well not entirely true. I moved the guitars from their spot so i can put my ukes there.

I have played a guitar since the early sixties. In fact I still have the Epiphone 12 string I purchased new in 1964 but I rarely play any more......it's just not as easy to sit in my recliner with a guitar!!!!!!!

I love my acoustic guitar, I love my electric guitar, I love my lil vintage amp, I love my harmonica, I like my bass guitar, I don't like my mandolin (small neck hurts my hands) but uke is always easy to pick up, tune up quickly, and play some nice happy sounding tunes.

I had guitar class at school sophomore year, but i didnt like it because all we played was classical music and it bored me, however 2nd semester came around and my friend brought in an ukulele, he showed me some stuff and i had more fun playng the 3 chords thati learned than playing guitar for a whole semester!

shortly after that i went to our public storage unit and found my grandfathers old uke which was a Martin Style 0 i think, Soprano!!
now, unless i have friends over, my guitars collect dust.

I still play the piano about as much (my teacher would probably kill me if I didn't xD) but I've definitely come to enjoy the uke more most of the time. I love how there really aren't too many rules, as opposed to classical piano where it's all about the rules (at least with the method I'm with right now).
But yeah, I've had quite a few moments playing piano wishing I had a uke in my hands.

when you learn an instrument, its important to learn music that you like

Very true, I like classical music, but I would get bored to death if it was all I was learning for guitar or piano or whatever. I used to HATE guitar, cuz my guitar teacher was horrible, and all he ever wanted to do was to teach me metallica and stuff, he was also a stoner without a high school diploma...... Then after I was playing uke for a while, a friend of mine got me hooked on jazz and blues guitar.

I think it really comes down to this.... for us here, almost anything on a uke sounds good, and is interesting. Of course there's some things we don't like, but the notes that come from a uke just sound very pure and soothing, whether it's rock, blues, whatever.

I have reduced interest guitar but have gotten more interested in banjo. I'm doing something similar on banjo and uke so they go together right now. I have almost completely lost interest in clarinet, and that's a big change for me. This past year has been nearly all stringed instruments, and I have been playing almost exclusively clarinets for about ten years.

odd isnt it, i used to play guitar pretty much daily until i was bitten by the uke bug. Now once a week at best. I still do jams at our local pub, but they tend to be on sundays, and my fingers take so much warming up - i find myself trying to fret uke chords - and dang, the thing feels so big and heavy!

I still play guitar just as much, but I've completely abandoned my cello. Last time I played it was three weeks ago... Dang.

In the group I play with once a week I alternate between drums, guitar, & bass. So far I haven't been able to incoporate the uke as they see it as merely something for playing at luaus to accompany hula dancing. At home, though, the uke is all I play.

I still play guitar just as much, but I've completely abandoned my cello. Last time I played it was three weeks ago... Dang.

haha, you're doing better than me. i don't have all the tools to make my own bassoon reeds (i have most, not all) and i refuse to buy a factory made reed. because of that, i haven't touched my bassoon in about 6 months, and i got a degree in bassoon playing :rofl:. i'm going to buy some reeds from my old teacher ($25 each--ouch) and then i'll figure how to divide my time between the uke and the bassoon. most likely, the bassoon will be every-other day for 30min-1hr. the problem with the uke is it's so easy to take out and play. and it's always happy :D

In the group I play with once a week I alternate between drums, guitar, & bass. So far I haven't been able to incoporate the uke as they see it as merely something for playing at luaus to accompany hula dancing. At home, though, the uke is all I play.

I used to play the uke in a bluegrass circle with a bunch of hilljacks passing a jug full of shine...I think they'd be fine with it if you gave it a whirl.

haha, you're doing better than me. i don't have all the tools to make my own bassoon reeds (i have most, not all) and i refuse to buy a factory made reed. because of that, i haven't touched my bassoon in about 6 months, and i got a degree in bassoon playing :rofl:. i'm going to buy some reeds from my old teacher ($25 each--ouch) and then i'll figure how to divide my time between the uke and the bassoon. most likely, the bassoon will be every-other day for 30min-1hr. the problem with the uke is it's so easy to take out and play. and it's always happy :D

I feel your pain, to a lesser extent. I play sax in a big band and if it wasn't for rehearsals three times a week, I probably would be in the same spot as you and your bassoon (and me and the cello, which I'm horrible at anyway...gah) The whole having to swab it down, make sure the keys don't stick, dry the reed, check for leaks, clean the neck, grease the cork., EVERYTIME I'm done playing with it, it gets exhausting! The uke is just so refreshingly simple to take care of!

Also, I have lots of respect for you bassoonists. Reeds must be a pain to deal with. $25 a reed? Whoa!

Last edited:
Top Bottom