Anyone recommend a 6-string uke?

Strummingbird Stu

Reaction score
I am considering getting a 6-string kanilea uke thinking it may have a fuller sound, but I don't have any experience playing one. Can anyone give me some insight on a 6-stringer? What are some of the pros and cons for getting one? I would really appreciate any advice on this. Mahalo!

http://www.fleamarketmusic.com/marketplace/default.asp

about quarter way down on the right...it is possible it may move if someone adds a post.

Koaloha Imaikalani 6 Tenor w/Baggs Element pickup system
PRICE LOWERED, OUCH! Koaloha Imaikalani 6 Tenor Uke (not their mini guitar) with LR Baggs under-saddle active transducer system (end pin jack, sound hole volume control, battery bag in sound hole). Includes Ko'olau Hard case, intellitouch PT-1 tuner, Herco can humidifier, original paperwork for Uke and pickup. I am the original owner. Bought from Ukulele shop in VA. 2 years ago. Pickup was pro-installed by luthier I have been using for over 20 years. Uke is in great shape cosmetically and playing wise. No issues. When I bought it, I used 0000 steel wool to take off the thick and sticky shine. You can read more at Koaloha's site here: http://www.koaloha.com/KoAloha_Products/TenorImaikalani.html

Price: $900 (free ship lower 48)
Name: Don
Telephone: email
E-mail: bellauke@gmail.com

Don, bizarrely, I JUST posted about this uke. If you wouldn't mind posting some thoughts in my thread, I would certainly appreciate it. Thanks.

Anybody have any thoughts of the different 6 string ukes out there? Any particular uke better for a first 6 string purchase. I have been thinking about the Mele or Kala.
Thanks!

I've got a Lanikai O6 6 string with a solid spruce top. It's a lot of fun and a drastically different sound than a traditional 4 string uke. Like all the other threads have said, finger picking is pretty much out, this things for strumming. It is a much fuller tone, though with the extra 2 strings, chords take stronger muscles to hold. I'm a big fan of the lanikai, especially at the prices that they go for. I wasn't sure about a 6 string, so I really didn't want to drop 500+ on something I might not like. I got my 6 string for well under 200, and it's a solid buy. Intonation is pretty good, no real issues with finish, and with Worth Clears, it really sings.

6 string configurations have been discussed before. IMO, I think the low A has a much too dominant sound so I paired it in unison (like an 8 string) and swapped the normal G with a low G. This does produce a more fuller sound. As far as fingerpicking, it can be done. A friend of mine has a Kamaka 6 string and he does it all the time. And with the above config, it's much more easier to pick.

leftovermagic...arent you the same one that thinks there's no perceivable difference between laminate and all solid ukes?

*not meant to be argumentative lol

leftovermagic...arent you the same one that thinks there's no perceivable difference between laminate and all solid ukes?

*not meant to be argumentative lol

In the lies we tell ourself thread, I posted a common one, that everyone believes they can tell a solid from a laminite on sound alone. MGM's blind test a while back proved that false for a lot of us. I didn't do so hot, and that's a fair point. I rely on tuners to check intonation, because my ear isn't perfect.

That being said, I know what I like, and I know what I can afford, and the two came together pretty good on my Lanikai, but in all fairness, my used honu tenor is my favorite uke, it sounds like butter to these ears.

I own a Mele 6 string mahog and I absolutely love it. I agree with Kanaka, that low a can be overpowering. I too have mine strung low g and the a in unison. I believe that if you are patient you might be able to find a used Mele or other solid wood 6 string. I found my first 6 string at FMM for 200. You can pick a 6 string. The way i do it is I pick the paired strings in unison. Or I just strum it.

Top Bottom