JAPAN: Uke Picnic (Aug. 9, 2008)

UkeNinja

Reaction score
Hello fellow members (in Japan!),

following the great Bay Area Meet-up report, I figured it was time to check if some of the Japan members (be you Japanese or gaijin) are in for a bit of joint four-stringed happiness.
It just happens that the Ukulele Picnic 2008 will be held on August 9, 2008, and I thought it might be a nice place to meet up. I was planning to go there and make a video report for UU anyway, but it would be cool to have some side-event going on.

It doesn't have to be that date and place (Yokosuka if I am correct), and a quickie in Yoyogi or some other more centrally located park is fine as well, but just to throw some ideas in the air.

Anyone in for a meet? :nana:

Hello fellow members (in Japan!),

following the great Bay Area Meet-up report, I figured it was time to check if some of the Japan members (be you Japanese or gaijin) are in for a bit of joint four-stringed happiness.
It just happens that the Ukulele Picnic 2008 will be held on August 9, 2008, and I thought it might be a nice place to meet up. I was planning to go there and make a video report for UU anyway, but it would be cool to have some side-event going on.

It doesn't have to be that date and place (Yokosuka if I am correct), and a quickie in Yoyogi or some other more centrally located park is fine as well, but just to throw some ideas in the air.

Anyone in for a meet? :nana:

Aloha, UkeNinja (now that's an original!)......I just Googled "Yokosuka Ukulele Picnic" to get some info on it, and this Ukulele Underground link popped up so I just registered. What a nice surprise to come across this site! My name is Ku'ulei and I'm a "total unknown" ukulele player/teacher in Tokyo. I teach small and private classes and I don't have a CD out yet, but I was given a chance to perform at the Yokohama Hawaiian Festival last week Sunday and I must have done alright (LOL!) because I was asked to come back next summer. Anyway, I'll be at the Ukulele Picnic (for the first time) so please look me up if you attend. Ask for "Ku-u-lei" at the PuaPua booth (I'll be w/Kanile'a Ukulele). Yes, it's 3 syllables; no, I don't have an English name! Mahalo gozaimasu, Ku'ulei Mamo (and that's my real first name)

Welcome Ku'ulei! Hope u guys make this meet work out! I'd love to see some undiscovered talent get documented :)

Aloha, UkeNinja (now that's an original!)...I'll be at the Ukulele Picnic (for the first time) so please look me up if you attend...Mahalo gozaimasu
So are you handing out the discount coupons for Kanile'a as well??? I'm there!

But seriously, with the "guerrilla weather" as the Japanese news calls it going on these days, I just hope things clear up for Saturday... planning to wear my UU T-shirt, or perhaps go undercover in a pink koi carp and wave aloha-shirt. Didn't decide yet :rock: Whichever makes me look pro but doesn't require that I actually hold a uke in public *breaks a sweat*

UkeNinja... yeah sorry it's dumb, but hey, ninjas were cool in the early 1980s.

Any other ukurere-prayers planning to go?

Last edited:
too far.
i'm down in fukuoka.
and dark knight is finally coming out here.

ya'll have fun though.

Ok i'm in tokyo for one year , let me know if there are any other ukulele events ^^

Cool, I saw in the intro thread you do computer science. Are you on a research year on some university?

Check out mixi.jp for ukulele groups, and get Rolling Coconuts Magazine at a music store in central Tokyo (Shibuya has a few places, Ikebukuro's Kurosawa, Ochanomizu's instrument shopping street).

As for the ukulele picnic, I was floored by the heat. Sucked all energy out of me... Yay! for the cooler weather now.

Yep i'm doing research in computer sciences bringing help to physiological issues at tokyo university. It will last one year ^^
i live near shibuya so i'll look for this magazine .
Thanks, see you.

Any uu-activities in the tokyo area in february? Staying for two weeks and want to make it a real uke-centered trip. So i´m very interested in info on meetings, concerts or just a little face-to-face chitchat and a little jam. All traveling tips and shopping hints are also highly appreciated.:worship:

Mikromue

Hi,

the group "Lele de Bossa" (jazz and bossa nova: 2 ukes, acoustic bass & guitar) has two live sessions in February, in ZAIM on 9 Feb. and in Koiwa Zepher on 16 Feb. Both are cafes in the Yokohama area. Entrance is around 1000-1500 yen (1 drink included) or free but a small contribution expected.

For shopping, go to Shibuya and check out Kurosawa Instruments (Kurosawa Gakki) or Heartman Guitars. Both have a good selection of ukuleles from your basic Kala/Ilikai/Lanikai/whatever up to customs that will set you back a few thousand. Kurosawa in Ikebukuro (5 min. from the station) has a good selection of serious ukes as well. Go to the instrument shopping street in Ochanomizu for more, the shop Woodmagic is pretty good but small, and the larger stores will have stuff hanging as well. Kiwaya in Ueno(?) is the place to visit, probably the oldest in Tokyo and a huge collection of ukuleles for sale. Uke Museum is here as well, but you have to call in advance.

Check Bosko & Honey's Ukulele Safari 2008 videos of Japan on Youtube to see more.

The yen is strong at the moment, so cheap deals are not that easy to find perhaps. Although on second thought, you will probably have a lot more choice than in Germany. Better make up your mind before coming, or you will go crazy and max out your credit card in no time ;)

Last edited:
Hi,

Better make up your mind before coming, or you will go crazy and max out your credit card in no time ;)

Haha, you´re right indeed. I am aware (and glad) that there are a lot more choices in Japan than in germany (ukulelewise). I´m in the market for something vintage but also for a nice "foreign" brand. I heard good things about "Chai"-Ukuleles and can´t wait to test them. Thanks for your advice, especially the concerts. I´ll try to make it to the koiwa zepher. Sounds interesting and it is not to far.:shaka:

Thanks a lot

Mikromue

Hey Ukeninja. Do you know of any good uke places to stop by in the Osaka/Kyoto area? I will be there all of next week and was thinking of bringing along my uke. Let me know if you know of anything. Thanks.

Hi yp983 (yp for short???),

a famous shop in the Osaka area (Kyoto I wouldn't know) is Ohana (http://www.ohana-k.jp/). Pics here.

There is a map (in Japanese) here.
Address:
〒596-0054
Osaka-fu, Kishiwada-shi, Miyamoto-cho 5-6, 1st floor
TEL&FAX: 072-431-7788

It is on the Nankai Honsen line, Kishiwada station. I have not been there, but according to the internets it will take you about 45 minutes from Osaka or Umeda station. Closed on Mondays and 1st/3rd Sunday of the month. 11:00-19:00.

Please do not get nasty if it is farther than I wrote above, or if you could not find your dream uke there ;)

P.S. Addition for our German friend: Poepoe (poh-eh poh-eh) in Yutenji (Meguro ward). Get on the Tokyu Toyoko line from Shibuya (after you have roamed the shops there!) and get off at Yutenji station. 12:00-20:00, Tuesday to Saturday. 11:00-19:00, Sundays/holidays. Closed on Mondays.

Last edited:
P.S. Addition for our German friend: Poepoe (poh-eh poh-eh) in Yutenji (Meguro ward). Get on the Tokyu Toyoko line from Shibuya (after you have roamed the shops there!) and get off at Yutenji station. 12:00-20:00, Tuesday to Saturday. 11:00-19:00, Sundays/holidays. Closed on Mondays.

Wow, THATS a real precise description. Thanks a lot, UkeNinja. I read on the german forums about the poepoe. They say, it is small, but offers well chosen stuff. I will definitely show up there. I also planned for Fujisawa (pucapuca) and Koenji (Hikoroku). Lookin really forward to catch my flight. Lots of ukulele-realms to roam for me.

Micromue

If you go to Hikoroku, check if there is a live performance when you go. Otherwise you will just be downing beers... When will you be in Japan?

If you go to Hikoroku, check if there is a live performance when you go. Otherwise you will just be downing beers... When will you be in Japan?

Will arrive on Tuesday 10.02. and gonna stay till wednesday 18.02. 8 days of sightseeing and 8 nights reserved for plain fun. I would definetely like to attend a live performance at the Hikoroku, especially because it is not really far away from my hotel. I am taking my laptop with me, so I will check the announcements. If you like to join me for a beer and a talk, don´t hesitate to pm me. I´d be happy to meet a fellow uker.

Mikromue

Spending my last night in Tokyo. Had a great time in an even greater city. Played a lot of fantastic ukes, seen a lot of interesting places and met up with fellow undergrounder ukeninja: exceptionally nice guy. A lot of good reasons to revisit this fantastic place, as should you! Thanks for the tour and the good time we had, ukeninja. CU :shaka:

Yes, sorry I could not make it for the final night of sake and silliness. From now on the weather will be better and better, so if anyone is planning to come (Russ???) drop me a PM.

Hmmm.... time to think about a Tokyo meet-up... Tentatively named "Cherry blossoms and ukuleles: how a friendly jam turned into a karaoke slaughterfest"

Top Bottom