Picks (felt vs plastic)?

_Dave_

Reaction score
I know that most people don't use them but at times a pick seems right for me. My question is, why are felt picks suggested for the ukulele? They make a sandpaper sound and my thick mandolin plastic pick seems better. What's wrong with regular picks?

Peace,
Dave

Nothing.

It's all personal preference. Use whatever you like. Leather works well too.

i believe the reason felt picks are recommended is because they're softer and make a sound closer to your fingers. we had a kid that was coming to a local uke club who would use a regular guitar pick and it sounded aweful when strumming. too plinky for normal hawaiian uke songs, imho. i gave him one of my felt pics (i never use them--i did when i first started 12 years ago) and he decided to play with that instead because it gave more of a finger strum sound. it is all personal preference, like gc said. personally, i never use pics, i like the sound of my fingers when strumming/picking.

Like Grumpy said, they have leather picks too. I saw one at a uke meeting once, and that is definitely the one I would choose if I wanted a pick. It didn't muffle the sound too much, yet it didn't get that clicky sound of plastic against nylon (or fluorocarbon) strings. In addition, guitar picks will scratch your uke more easily.

–Lori

Personally I really like felt. I've tried plastic, but they weren't as nice for me. Usually I use my fingers, but picks can be nice for rapid strumming, and I also find it adds quite a bit of volume. Plus I have a whole bunch of really neat ones.
Leather would be cool to try...

When I got my first uke, they included a fairly thick rubber pick, which seemed OK if you wanted to use one. I didn't have the scraping plink sound of a guitar pick, but also wouldn't shed felt like I assume a felt pick would. It was almost like a triangle-shaped, sharpened eraser or something. I think the part you hold was pretty thick though, like 1/4" maybe. Much thicker than a guitar pick. I've never seen a felt pick or leather pick for reference.

Jason

Thanks.

I like playing with fingers but I don't get much volume playing up the fret board. I see others getting volume with fingers, I can't.

Dave

Different ukes and different strings and such can help with the volume at higher frets. But you should never let anyone tell you you shouldn't do something, like using a pick. I was just playing with a pick a few minutes ago, because I was playing some super high notes on the fretboard and I wanted more of an attack and a clear sound. You should never limit yourself, I also grow out my nails on my right hand, and if you keep the nails at a certain length you can choose whether you want a more pick-like sound, or a skin sound, on specific notes as well, I can pick a chord and choose to use nail on say just the A string, and it will sound different. It's really convienent. In public I think people must think I'm a coke addict or something, but many ukers grow out their nails for that reason. Some just their thumb nail. Sometimes I play too much and will shred up a nail pretty bad and have to cut it down but it's not too bad usually. My middle fingernail is usually pretty short because it gets all chewed up when I do 'chunks'.

If you're lucky, your local music store might have a few "Wedgie" brand rubber picks. No scratching and no frizzed felt.

If you're lucky, your local music store might have a few "Wedgie" brand rubber picks. No scratching and no frizzed felt.

Yeah if I was going for the more traditional ukulele sound (sound, not type of music) I'd go for a leather or what davevisi suggested

I originially didn't want to use a pick...but now I use
badge-clip-8.jpg

Plastic piece (and I'm strumming with the non-clip side) I had lying around at work and it works great :)

Sometimes these rubber picks leave rubber dust (like eraser shavings) behind.
I play finger style, but if I were to use a pick it would be one of the leather ones, they are easy to grip and I liked the sound.
When I was a kid my felt picks lasted a looooooooooong time.

...why are felt picks suggested for the ukulele?
It's a practice that started before WW2. Not sure why anyone bothers these days because they are big, clumsy, hard to use selectively (like a nylon pick) and muffle the sound.

Picks are fine with ukes. Depends on your style. But felt picks are hold-overs from an earlier day that are best left in the case.

Get a plastic milk carton and trace a pick outline and cut it out....then take the felt(soft) side of velcro and adhere it on both sides of it..... The new pick has the right softness and no plinkyness

It's a practice that started before WW2. Not sure why anyone bothers these days because they are big, clumsy, hard to use selectively (like a nylon pick) and muffle the sound.

Picks are fine with ukes. Depends on your style. But felt picks are hold-overs from an earlier day that are best left in the case.

I've got to dissagree with you on that one. I have a bunch of felt picks (in varying thicknesses) and I find it gives a great tone. I usually use my fingers, but I find it amplifies the sound of my uke quite a bit if I'm trying to play with others. As for "big and clumsy" it really depends on which size you're using. I have some smaller ones that are designed more for picking.
I think felt picks give a soft, mellow tone which I really like, but then, to each his own! I think it boils down to whichever pick gives you the sound and playability that you're looking for.

..I find it amplifies the sound of my uke quite a bit if I'm trying to play with others. As for "big and clumsy" it really depends on which size you're using. ...
Try a soft, flexible nylon pick as an alternative. You get a lot more control frm them. I tend to 'choke' my picks so only a small portion (less than 1/2) is available to hit the strings. get in close to the strings when I play.

I've still got a dozen or so felt picks around here somewhere from the 60s and 70s. They're cat toys these days. Not sure why I kept them but I got a couple among ukes I bought, too. Couldn't make it work for me, but if you can, more power to ya. Still prefer my fingertips, but am not adverse to picks.

Top Bottom