Strings and pedals

Morcains

Reaction score
I'm soon gonna start to get some special stuff to my ukulele, but I don't know so much about it (I've only played for a year)

I wonder if you could give me some tips about good strings that isn't extremly expensive and maybe a good effect pedal?

Oh yeah I forgot:

Do anyone know if you can buy a lei (or what those flower necklaces is called) in Sweden?

I just got to get one! ;)

I'm soon gonna start to get some special stuff to my ukulele, but I don't know so much about it (I've only played for a year)

I wonder if you could give me some tips about good strings that isn't extremly expensive and maybe a good effect pedal?

As far as strings go, a lot of people here seemed to express a lot of interest in Worth strings because of their loud ring and making your uke really sing. But you'll get mixed reviews because everyone wants a different sound. So what they may like might not be what you are particular to.

I have D'addario pro arte strings on my pono right now and it really made a difference from the Ko'olau strings that were on it before. They make strings for concert and tenor uke sizes but I haven't seen any for sopranos. They're pretty cheap, coming to about $4.25 a set at StringsByMail.com. Shipping is around $4 but the good thing about that site is that you can order as much as you want and shipping will always be $4.

I do keep Worth Brown strings on my laminated Lanikai tenor and the sound from it now took a huge leap for the better from the LaBella ones I had on it before. Worth strings took a while to get used to though because they just feel so much thinner than other sets of uke strings.

Oh yeah I forgot:

Do anyone know if you can buy a lei (or what those flower necklaces is called) in Sweden?

I just got to get one! ;)

Haha. If they do, maybe I'll pick one up when I'm there in 2009 for school.

As far as strings go, a lot of people here seemed to express a lot of interest in Worth strings because of their loud ring and making your uke really sing. But you'll get mixed reviews because everyone wants a different sound. So what they may like might not be what you are particular to.

I have D'addario pro arte strings on my pono right now and it really made a difference from the Ko'olau strings that were on it before. They make strings for concert and tenor uke sizes but I haven't seen any for sopranos. They're pretty cheap, coming to about $4.25 a set at StringsByMail.com. Shipping is around $4 but the good thing about that site is that you can order as much as you want and shipping will always be $4.

I do keep Worth Brown strings on my laminated Lanikai tenor and the sound from it now took a huge leap for the better from the LaBella ones I had on it before. Worth strings took a while to get used to though because they just feel so much thinner than other sets of uke strings.

Haha. If they do, maybe I'll pick one up when I'm there in 2009 for school.

Thanks for the help about the strings :D I'll try to find my own combination then. Maybe I'll try one of those D'addario.

About the lei: Now I have to give you some Swedish thing! :D

Thanks for the help about the strings :D I'll try to find my own combination then. Maybe I'll try one of those D'addario.

About the lei: Now I have to give you some Swedish thing! :D

Meatballs would do. If there's anything that I love more than the uke, it'd be food. :D haha

Oh man.... I'm no good in the kitchen :p

But if meatballs is what it takes to get a lei then you shall get your meatballs :D

Here's an article from Live Ukulele titled Effects and as far as strings, I can't provide any more info than what's given here at UU.

I use a Ibanez Phaser, Chorus/Flanger and Digital Delay/Echo pedal. These are good when you're playing alot of reggae music. It adds cool sounding effects.

Another good brand that I use also is BOSS. They're pretty much top notch pedals, but expensive! I also use to use a EQ pedal when I first started playing with my Sonny D ukulele which didn't have a EQ on the pickup.

You're gonna need a amp to use your pedals. I would highly recommend buying a Fender Acoustasonic 30. I'm not to sure if they make those any more, but they rock! They're made for acoustic instruments. They even got a channel where you can plug your microphone in to sing while jamming on the ukulele. It's a good practice amp!!

I would either go with a digital delay/echo or a chorus/flanger pedal for your first purchase.......I also would suggest that you go to your local music store and try out the pedals before you purchase one!!

If you check out facemeltingukulele you tube channel I believe he plays with a Keeley Blues Driver and Sustainer........he rocks with it!!:rock:

Hope this helps you out!! :D

Happy Playing!!

Kainoa

Top Bottom