Frequently Unasked Questions

B.Uke

Reaction score
Hey Guys and Girls

Ive been searching around the forums a bit and realised that UU doesnt have a place to ask the questions that may not be "Frequently asked" so to speak - questions like, for example :

"how can i reduce friction on my fretboard when my fingers go all sticky from playing a lot?"

By posting these types of questions and getting them answered by the wise UU'ers of the Underground will help us all along our path to Ukulele sanctuary ^_^

Question Time

how can i reduce friction on my fretboard when my fingers go all sticky from playing a lot?

I usually go the bathroom and wash my hands, dry them completely- like 100% completely, and then put a small amount of Baby/Talcum Powder on my hands. It usually helps when slidind up and down your fretboard alot.

Last edited:
Topic=Pro

hmm, how do i hold a Ukulele? i mean, i can play it but sometimes it feels awkward- how do you guys hold yours?

UU said:
Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms.

Ive never seen it tbh haha :/

It's kinda hard to answer- and it depends on what Ukulele you play.

For a Soprano, i'd hold it close to me, between my chest and my belly button.

for bigger Ukes such as Tenors or Baritones, id say resting the corner of the Body on you inner right thigh (providing you play right handed) and have your Uke at a 45° angle and play away.

Apart from the title of your thread, that was a little bit off, I seriously doubt there's any need for such a thread since the whole forum is about asking questions (and not only FAQ).

"how can i reduce friction on my fretboard when my fingers go all sticky from playing a lot?"
How do you hands get sticky from playing? Mine never do. Are you playing while eating or while preparing food? Are you making bread while playing? Or doing carpentry with glue? Perhaps working with wet clay in your pottery shed? Then here's a tip: wash your hands after any task BEFORE picking up any instrument

Even the most vigorous style should not make your hands sticky. It's not a contact sport, after all.

I clean my ukes - including strings and fretboards - on a semi-regular basis. That way they never build up any residue from dust in the air. You can use any of a number of guitar cleaners for that. I even oil my fretboards and wipe them clean afterwards.

My nephew used to play my guitar when he was a teenager, and I'd come to it to find the strings coated in a thin crusty gruel. Actually found out he'd been through my stuff that way once. Proper detective like, eh?

My nephew used to play my guitar when he was a teenager, and I'd come to it to find the strings coated in a thin crusty gruel. Actually found out he'd been through my stuff that way once. Proper detective like, eh?
Ew ...

Top Bottom