PDA

View Full Version : If you could have a wish to master any instrument BUT the ukulele.....

Dane
04-17-2010, 01:41 PM
Well... which instrument would you choose?

I think I'd choose the sitar, it would be interesting to learn a whole different view of music theory, and I just like the instrument a lot, with the rituals and everything

leftovermagic84
04-17-2010, 02:00 PM
probably harmonica

covernment
04-17-2010, 02:05 PM
piano; so classy

experimentjon
04-17-2010, 02:08 PM
It'd have to be guitar. Being good at guitar has always been impressive to me. Piano too.

cornfedgroove
04-17-2010, 02:26 PM
piano is legit...me and covernment be bringing sexy back

Uke Republic
04-17-2010, 02:30 PM
Kazoo. It's harder than it looks.

Deets
04-17-2010, 02:38 PM
Cello. I will get the hang of it one day. I WILL.

CoLmes
04-17-2010, 02:39 PM
my voice - thats an instrument right?

ashleychantel
04-17-2010, 02:44 PM
If that's an instrument that would be my choice too..

tad
04-17-2010, 02:58 PM
If that's an instrument that would be my choice too..

Thirded...

haole
04-17-2010, 03:16 PM
Do songwriting and performing count as instruments?

If not, didgeridoo.

fhorndog
04-17-2010, 03:17 PM
I have played french horn and trumpet for the bucks. I have taught percussion. I currently teach band and choir. I also play string bass and piano. I got news for you guys...STICK TO YOUR UKES!!! It's alot more fun!!!!!!!

AC Baltimore
04-17-2010, 03:48 PM

+1. I have played guitar for many moons and am enjoying learning Uke... vocals I am very average at and would love to be more talented and refined in that area.

sukie
04-17-2010, 03:56 PM
The bassoon. I played it in high school and I LOVED it. It's hard to master and the sound is gorgeous.

Dane
04-17-2010, 04:26 PM
Cello. I will get the hang of it one day. I WILL.

Ooh yes, I love the cello, I was interested in the violin for a time, but its just so screechy sometimes, especially when you're learning. Cello is so versatile

I should think so

ukulelearp
04-17-2010, 04:55 PM
Does my voice count? If not, piano.

StereoJoker
04-17-2010, 05:09 PM
I'm seconding the sitar. I've never even touched one, but man, I would love, love, love to play one.

Next on my list would be the viola, then the accordion (I actually really dig the accordion's sound).

Dane
04-17-2010, 05:21 PM
I'm seconding the sitar. I've never even touched one, but man, I would love, love, love to play one.

Next on my list would be the viola, then the accordion (I actually really dig the accordion's sound).

accordian is very cool, but I think it gets some bad rep sometimes like the uke, like jokey and clownish

Vindelanda
04-17-2010, 05:33 PM
I have a ton of instruments I'd love to master...But probably the cello would be the top one for me. Also the bagpipes, accordion and clarinet would be fantastic.

arashi_nero
04-17-2010, 06:04 PM
The bassoon. I played it in high school and I LOVED it. It's hard to master and the sound is gorgeous.

you're awesome!!! the bassoon has taken up the better part of the last 20 years of my life.

i've always been into obscure instruments. we first got cable in '85 and my first encounter with the disney channel was watching disney's version of peter and the wolf. i fell in love with the bassoon then. i keep planning to buy a chanter but have to use my money for other things instead (like buying bassoon reeds and my uke stuff lol). i will master the bagpipes one day. i still want to learn the piano and to sing while playing the uke. i'm a bassoonist damnit, i can't multi-task!

AzMichael
04-17-2010, 06:24 PM
Concertina! 'Cuz I love me some sea shanties!

♪♫ Farewell and adieu to you Spanish ladies, farewell and adieu you ladies of Spain ♪♫

~Michael

covernment
04-17-2010, 06:30 PM
piano is legit...me and covernment be bringing sexy back

oh yes we are!

StereoJoker
04-17-2010, 06:35 PM
accordian is very cool, but I think it gets some bad rep sometimes like the uke, like jokey and clownish

I know, it does! In a lot of minds, folks associate the accordion with polka, and polka with terrible, hokey music. But then they've never heard these (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUCfSiMB_2E) guys (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FQsKOKXHIc) play before.

Even more realistic than an accordion, for me, would be the concertina, but since we're in wish territory with this thread, I'll wish accordion mastery. :D

(EDIT: Arrrgh, Michael beat me to the concertina!)

Dane
04-17-2010, 07:21 PM
I never knew that was called a concertina, I wonder how difficult they are to learn.

That type of acordian just scares me, I'd be up for trying to play one with piano keys.

MisoHappy
04-17-2010, 09:36 PM
I'm with the voice people

Other than that, I'd really like to learn DRUMS :)

Dane
04-17-2010, 09:58 PM
I'm with the voice people

Other than that, I'd really like to learn DRUMS :)

Like standard band drumsets, or like congas, or african drums, what kind? I've always been interested tablas too. And I'd like to buy an african hand drum at some point, I think they're called Djembe Drums?

Dane
04-17-2010, 10:26 PM
Look at me I'm addicted to this music stuff, I'm up in the middle of the night watching videos of djembe drummers.

This looks like so much fun. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GgxCJ9HTS0&feature=related I saw a drum circle the other day, looked like they were havin a blast!

King FarUke
04-18-2010, 02:16 AM
Piano. My dad was a piano player and would end up being the entertainment by the end of the day at any family gathering. Everyone loved to sit around and sing (since he could play any popular song by ear).

nomis
04-18-2010, 02:53 AM
Double Bass (Upright) - But it's too late for me......

Also Stylophone http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stylophone

KevinV
04-18-2010, 03:02 AM
Voice for sure. I'd love to be able to accompany the guitar and uke with singing in a way that doesn't make people cringe.

byjimini
04-18-2010, 03:17 AM
Torn between harmonica, banjo and mandolin...probably banjo.

dnewton2
04-18-2010, 04:01 AM
Didgeridoo fo sho.

Skrik
04-18-2010, 06:08 AM
Guitar or piano.

Actually, I find honky-tonk piano really satisfying, but I'm still on chopsticks.

csibona
04-18-2010, 06:15 AM
I'm in with the hegemony - voice, if applicable, then piano.

Kite
04-18-2010, 08:40 AM
Harmonica since I'm learning right now. But the spoons would also make a wonderful master instrument, I can play them but nothing impressive haha. Oooh I've also been kinda interested in the harp lately too (an actual harp. not the harmonica term).

thejumpingflea
04-18-2010, 08:42 AM
Piano fo' sho'.

Dane
04-18-2010, 09:05 AM
Harmonica since I'm learning right now. But the spoons would also make a wonderful master instrument, I can play them but nothing impressive haha. Oooh I've also been kinda interested in the harp lately too (an actual harp. not the harmonica term).

Harp is amazing, I don't understand why so many people associate it with females though, there's so few male harpists. Maybe I should learn my history with the instrument

buddhuu
04-18-2010, 11:08 AM
Mandolin and fiddle.

I play both, but I'm not great on mando, and I'm pretty rough on fiddle. I'd like to be good.

B.Uke
04-18-2010, 11:14 AM
i'd have to say Piano ... please ... and how much is the P&P of this wish?

pulelehua
04-18-2010, 11:21 AM
Flugelhorn. I own a nice one. German. Handshaped bell. (The flugel equivalent of Hawaiian and koa) Ironically, I started playing ukulele two months after the flugelhorn, and it has remained a bit neglected.

HelloDisaster
04-18-2010, 11:35 AM
i would have to say...accordion... ive got one on (permanent) loan from my aunt, and ive not been able to spend much time trying to figure the thing out....all i know is that i makes a lot of entertaining sounds......

i feel that at least a tiny understanding of the piano would help there too....so yeah piano and accordion for sure....but i do have a list of instruments i would love to learn how to play

arashi_nero
04-18-2010, 06:45 PM
Harp is amazing, I don't understand why so many people associate it with females though, there's so few male harpists. Maybe I should learn my history with the instrument

when i first got into orchestra at the college level, we had a guy playing harp for us who had been the principle harpist for the utah symphony by the time he was 18 or 19. he was a harp virtuoso, a genius, and probably the coolest musician i had ever known. i think several instruments are that way. even though the best clairinetists and flautists are men, they're associated with women. trombone and tuba with men, but i've known women who could play them better than any man. i think even guitar is more associated with men, yet when watching that michael jackson movie that just came out (can't remember the name right now haha), mj picked a female guitarist who could bend notes like i've never seen anyone do before!!

ashleychantel
04-18-2010, 07:19 PM
Like standard band drumsets, or like congas, or african drums, what kind? I've always been interested tablas too. And I'd like to buy an african hand drum at some point, I think they're called Djembe Drums?

I have a djembe, doumbek, and a djembek. they're a lot of fun but one thing that would be awesome to learn how to play is hang drum. too bad they're super hard to find and really expensive.. here's a guy playing a set.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLl2eBGZlF0 these guys are pretty good also: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFnQdcGlngA&annotation_id=annotation_746914&feature=iv

Dane
04-18-2010, 07:30 PM
I think one of my fathers clients has one. You have to know someone in the company or something, it's really weird, I think it's because they don't produce a lot of them. I think they're quite expensive though.

Brandon7s
04-18-2010, 08:52 PM
Well, I've been playing guitar for a 9+ years now, so I won't pick that as my instrument to master (though I'm trying..), and while I'm learning to play mandolin, I don't particularly have any interest in being awesome at it. Nor with ukulele. I plan on buying a djembe or two soonish, and the same goes for that.

Piano or cello. Definitely one of those. In practicality, the piano - simply because good keyboards cost waaaay less than a good cello. If I had all the money in the world though, I'd probably go with cello.

Darthouellet
04-19-2010, 02:03 AM
Voice would be my first choice, but guitar and mandolin would be nice too.

mailman
04-19-2010, 04:59 AM
I've given it some thought, and I'd have to say bass; upright, acoustic and electric....you did say master the instrument, right? I was interested in versatility with this choice. As an accomplished bassist, I could play with a rock group, a country group, a bluegrass group, a 40's-style big band, a jazz combo, a uke band....any group of instruments, really. The bass is more portable than a piano, which may be as versatile, and came in as a close second as my choice of instrument to master.

I'd still want to master the uke as my primary instrument. Not too much fun playing solo bass....

clayton56
04-19-2010, 06:53 AM
I always wanted to play English Horn, such a great sound. I did order one but it arrived damaged and I returned it rather than repairing it. Years later I tried one in a store and wasn't as impressed anymore. After playing clarinet the response and tone of the English Horn were underwhelming.

I've also been interested in banjo, and play some interesting stuff. Thanks to the uke I've been getting back into it. I plan to work on uke and banjo duets, with the banjo taking the backup role.

Getting inspired by other players has led me to try many instruments, it's been a great experience, but here I am with a ukulele 90% of the time.

hoosierhiver
04-19-2010, 07:57 AM
JUG! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xg0S_LbWW7k

kenikas
04-19-2010, 08:36 AM
12 string ki ho' alu guitar, I've played 6 string for several years (I'd love to someday master that too!!), and probably piano as well.

wickedwahine11
04-19-2010, 08:58 AM
Voice for sure. I'd love to be able to accompany the guitar and uke with singing in a way that doesn't make people cringe.
:agree: I am a terrible singer, though I have been known to scare my friends and cats with karaoke renditions on my video game console.

If voice doesn't count, then piano. I took lessons ages ago, and my uncle is an amazing pianist but I never stuck with it. I definitely regret that now.